• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, the PWT did allow the usage of box legendaries as well as the USUM Battle Tree.
I didn't play USUM, so I just assumed it was like the SM Battle Tree.

But... the PWT allowed Box Legendaries?! Are you serious? Did I just automatically decide that the typical Battle Facility rules applied, and never checked?!

I want to punch myself XD

Last edited:
I didn't play USUM, so I just assumed it was like the SM Battle Tree.

But... the PWT allowed Box Legendaries?! Are you fucking kidding me? Did I just automatically decide that the typical Battle Facility rules applied, and never checked?!

I want to punch myself XD
It allows box legendaries in the regional tournaments.

2021 will probably the series 25th Anniversary, so anything could happen for Gen 8 like with Gen 7. Not only there's likely a Gen 4 remake on the way, but probably Let's Go's sequal as well. But then, there was a pause in 2011 (15th Anniversary). Whilst BW was released worldwide, Japan took a break. Not saying this is anyway different, but if you think about it, 25 is a quarter of a century for Pokemon.

I really am getting tired of GF's obsession of Gen 1 from Gen 6 to 7 as of late. Which I could understand for being the series 20th Anniversary. But when you push this much love and nostalgia for that part of your childhood, unless you mix something completely new to the table {cough Megas cough Alola Forms cough}, it soon starts to lose it's charm.

I really am getting tired of GF's obsession of Gen 1 from Gen 6 to 7 as of late. Which I could understand for being the series 20th Anniversary. But when you push this much love and nostalgia for that part of your childhood, unless you mix something completely new to the table {cough Megas cough Alola Forms cough}, it soon starts to lose it's charm.
But they did do that with Megas and Alola Forms so I'm not sure what the problem is then.

The problem is favoritism.
They said that unless you mix something completely new in, it loses its charm- they mixed something new in, so I guess the charm is still there?

But yeah, Gen 1 is going to get favoritism- it's the generation that started the series and the reason any of the later generations even exist. It also hosts many of the simplest designs. It's easy to look at Gen 1 pokemon and go "Okay, what can I add to it?" It's not so easy to do that with pokemon from later generations because they already covered them with features and markings. As much as people may gripe about Gen 1 designs being uninspired, it's exactly that reason why they're the best bases for creating Megas and Regional Variants. It's the equivalent of a blank canvas.

The whole point of Nostalgia is to learn from it of what works and makes it so special, so you could be inspired to make something new and exciting based from it's formula. The problem with today's world when it comes to nostalgia is that they tend to remake or recycle the original, to which I have nothing wrong with if it's done right. It's when you keep pumping nostalgia out like the Live Action Remakes of timeless Disney films for the sake of money that it becomes an obsessive problem. Some films are good, though they are hit and miss. The point is that since Michael Eisner, many films forbid to take risks and would instead try to play it safe.

They said that unless you mix something completely new in, it loses its charm- they mixed something new in, so I guess the charm is still there?

But yeah, Gen 1 is going to get favoritism- it's the generation that started the series and the reason any of the later generations even exist. It also hosts many of the simplest designs. It's easy to look at Gen 1 pokemon and go "Okay, what can I add to it?" It's not so easy to do that with pokemon from later generations because they already covered them with features and markings. As much as people may gripe about Gen 1 designs being uninspired, it's exactly that reason why they're the best bases for creating Megas and Regional Variants. It's the equivalent of a blank canvas.
Changing forms is not called new. I mean, when creating a new Pokemon Game they should learn from Gen 1 and try and make it something more like it for the next Gen, but yet still keep it's own charm for that next Gen. Like, you can have something like Gen 1 for Gen 8, but have it still have it as Gen 8.

Last edited:
The whole point of Nostalgia is to learn from it of what works and makes it so special, so you could be inspired to make something new and exciting based from it's formula. The problem with today's world when it comes to nostalgia is that they tend to remake or recycle the original, to which I have nothing wrong with if it's done right. It's when you keep pumping nostalgia out like the Live Action Remakes of timeless Disney films for the sake of money that it becomes an obsessive problem. Some films are good, though they are hit and miss. The point is that since Michael Eisner, many films forbid to take risks and would instead try to play it safe.
Have you actually watched the live action remakes by any chance? Because I saw Beauty and the Beast and it was quite different from the original. Same with Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, though I don't know if that counts as one of the remakes since it was done awhile before the recent films.

Changing forms is not called new. I mean, when creating a new Pokemon Game they should learn from Gen 1 and try and make it something more like it, but yet still keep it's own charm for it's own Gen. Like, you can have something like Gen 1 for Gen 8, but have it still have it as Gen 8.
=P So they should make new pokemon that are more simplistic and similar to Gen 1 designs? I'd support that.

They just have to learn to let go of the past when new generations are involved.
I would rather they didn't- I don't want a repeat of Gen 5. Plus you abandon world building when you make a region into its own pocket dimension with no reference to any other region. References and tie-ins make the pokemon world feel connected.

Have you actually watched the live action remakes by any chance? Because I saw Beauty and the Beast and it was quite different from the original. Same with Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland, though I don't know if that counts as one of the remakes since it was done awhile before the recent films.

=P So they should make new pokemon that are more simplistic and similar to Gen 1 designs? I'd support that.

I would rather they didn't- I don't want a repeat of Gen 5. Plus you abandon world building when you make a region into its own pocket dimension with no reference to any other region. References and tie-ins make the pokemon world feel connected.
Gen 5, you have a point. I just prey and hope that Gen 8 doesn't suffer the same fate. Hopefully it probably won't.

Somehow when I look back at Gen 6 and 7 on the 3DS, It makes me think that the 3DS Era is a representation of GBA with Gen 3.

I kinda feel like Johto will get alot of focus now.
I hope so. D= I wanna see some Johto regional variants- also megas for the starters! C'mon GameFreak, Gen 2 was pretty simple like Gen 1, there's plenty to work with there!

Gen 5, you have a point. I just prey and hope that Gen 8 doesn't suffer the same fate. Hopefully it probably won't.
I think we'll probably be safe with Sword and Shield. =3 They certainly haven't pushed the "entirely new adventure" angle that was Gen 5's signature, and I doubt they will. Hopefully they balanced the encounters better, though, because I agree that new pokemon should absolutely be the first thing you find in a new region.

Also regional variants for more generations- I love seeing my Gen 1 pokemon reimagined but like... it would feel weird if we never saw any pokemon from any other generation in variant form. At least Megas gave us a little from each.

I hope so. D= I wanna see some Johto regional variants- also megas for the starters! C'mon GameFreak, Gen 2 was pretty simple like Gen 1, there's plenty to work with there!

I think we'll probably be safe with Sword and Shield. =3 They certainly haven't pushed the "entirely new adventure" angle that was Gen 5's signature, and I doubt they will. Hopefully they balanced the encounters better, though, because I agree that new pokemon should absolutely be the first thing you find in a new region.

Also regional variants for more generations- I love seeing my Gen 1 pokemon reimagined but like... it would feel weird if we never saw any pokemon from any other generation in variant form. At least Megas gave us a little from each.
Well the thing with Gen 5, it is the first Core Pokemon Region that take place in an area outside of Japan. The 4 Regions (The 4 Original Regions) were all based on Japan, and have been planned that way since Gen 2 but due to cartridge space on the GBC they could only fit Johto and Kanto.

I think after the recent release of LGPE, they''ll holding back gen 1 pandering for at least this generation. Looking at the Sword&Shield trailer, I haven't seen any Kanto pandering...yet.

I don’t think it’s fair to lump every callback to gen 1 as “an appeal to nostalgia”. For one thing, we know for a fact that GameFreak is constantly trying to gain new and younger players that weren’t around back then (it’s like their catchphrase at this point). There are also plenty of reasons that canonically tie-in Kanto for the sake of world-building.

Also let’s not forget that they completely remade gens 2 and 3 as well. There’s no greater callback than an entire game dedicated to the region.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom