• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read the whole thing, and have to say it's a very interesting fanfic, at least.

But it has many red flags, imo. In addition to all the inconsistencies pointed out by Tech, it's funny how the rumor uses things we already know (or that we suppose to know). Like, it says there are 7 gyms because we can see only 7 buildings that could be a gym on the map. And so, to match the information we have from previous games (that have 8 gyms), it uses the idea that the eighth gym will be a gym created by the protagonist.

It says that the region's professor studies "the interaction between plants and Pokémon", because all we could see from the professor's lab so far is that there are many plants there (which does not necessarily mean that they will study plants, even if it's a plausible assumption to do now).

Again, it plays safe by asserting the types of the first three gyms, also basing on what we (community) find so far to be the order of the gyms; first, the one of the city shown in the trailer, with the water and grass gyms soon after. It avoid to mention the gyms most discussed by the community though, which are those that people are in doubt about what their types would be (the forest one, which may be fairy, poison or other, and the snow city one, which can be ice or dark - dark by the black color of the stadium -).

Also, it says that the fire type gym leader will be a mechanic based on what we saw of the second city in the trailer (that has trains), it - probably - says that the grass gym leader will be a baseball player because of the uniform that the protagonist uses when entering the grass gym in the trailer (where it even wears a glove), and then, as we know nothing about the water gym, it gives a totally generic description about this one.

About the Pokémon, I was surprised it didn't mention a Stork Pokémon. Elemental Armor is also a red flag imo.

The rumors are insisting on armors because of Armored Mewtwo (and maybe because of game titles now), but now we know that the Armored Mewtwo of the movie probably will not be a new gimmick. I mean, I don't think it's impossible, but I would think it would be weird to have a gimmick involving armor shortly after the Armored Mewtwo - a non related armor - (which will probably appear on the GO, by we can see through the datamine, and maybe even appear in games later, like Ash-Greninja).

Overall, it's very creative tbh. It's hard to say it's fake for sure because it plays safe, but it doesn't look real to me. Also, real leakers usually don't know that much of information (especially if it is a leaker who is supposed to be from the West, since it uses the English names).

Last edited:
'Black ice-badly poisons the target if hit by a Fire-type move' Ummm, that makes no sense at all. And as @TechSkylander1518 already pointed out, we have an 'attractive' male water-type gym leader in Wallace (and Juan). Even Cress has a group of fangirls in the anime. One could also argue that Marlon fits in this category too:sneaky:

Yeah, the rest makes me more skeptical on it. The whole following ditto thing is kind of weird. I mean if we're not going to be able to ride our own Pokemon, but Pokeride is back, why not just implement the same or a similar system from SMUSUM's Pokeride system?

Going fake on this rumor.

I really don’t see the point of telling a bunch of very devoted bunch of Pokemon fans that they’re being impatient in waiting for the next Pokemon trailer on one of the biggest Pokemon forums.
Same, though the giving up mid-month thing is still ridiculous. If there is anything that people are too impatient here for, it's waiting for the actual end of any month. XD

Oh, apparently it goes even further.
(blacked out bit is just 4chan trash, don't worry about it)

Somehow this guy knows the plot, new mechanics, the teams of NPCs, and box art-but not anything about marketing schedules. LOL.

Meh, classic pitfall of taking it too far. It got less believable the longer he went on. Still possible, I guess, but I doubt it.

Everyone's so thirsty for a region chock full of Branch evolutions that we seem to get leaks focusing on it every cycle:

The 'story' of the teams seems to be quite boring. The branch evolution aspect is the only thing that appeals to me. But if any region had to have lots of branch evolutions it was Alola.

I don't really like the concept of branch evolutions being incorporated in that way. I don't mind the handful of version exclusives there usually are, but to have what is likely half of the new pokemon basically be version exclusive? No thanks.

Doing the branched evolution thing this way also creates problems marketing wise if one version turns out to be more popular than the other because of it and its the same with the Pokemon. If Shield version is more popular, but a certain Branch in Sword is more popular, then that also creates a marketing problem, since which Pokemon are you gonna market. Are you gonna market the least popular of the branch in the most popular game or a you gonna market the most popular branch in the least popular game. People put out rumors without thinking further ahead.

Last edited:
This sounds a lot like the theory I myself had about the gyms, but I could not confirm it. It just seemed like a fun idea based on what I know about soccer. This is a slightly more evolved version of it, since I couldn't figure out a way for you alone to be what is seeking out the gyms. My idea involved you joining the various gyms and being part of their "team". You travel to the other cities and pick which gym you want to join and fight the other gyms. The possible train network seemed to support the idea of being able to travel to whatever city you want. I did not even consider the matter that 8 gyms would be enough to make a standard tournament bracket. This system is a little closer to the standard gym model, except that I also can't justify you acting as the representative of your own town unless there is an established gym there, which that isn't evident if there is. Mind you, the normal gym model can still work for this, it's just being treated more like it's an actual sport, which it sort of was already. I just thought it would be fun if every gym city had it's own team name. I almost got vindication when I discovered the writing on the gym doors included the town name, as seen on a distant sign. I could not determine, however, if the second word was intended to be "stadium" or some other synonymous word, or even a team name, as I thought it was.

tl;dr I possibly got way too excited and it's probably nothing.

'Black ice-badly poisons the target if hit by a Fire-type move' Ummm, that makes no sense at all. And as @TechSkylander1518 already pointed out, we have an 'attractive' male water-type gym leader in Wallace (and Juan). Even Cress has a group of fangirls in the anime. One could also argue that Marlon fits in this category too:sneaky:
I know he’s not a gym leader but don’t forget my husband Siebold !!

Guess what...

Here's some problems with this rumor:

1. It claims that Pokemon with the Grass armor get healed in Grassy Terrain even though Grassy Terrain already heals all Pokemon on the ground at the end of every turn.
  2. It excessively panders to what has been seen in the reveal trailer. The Fire and Grass type Gym Masters get detailed descriptions (which are entirely based on observations from the trailer) while the Water Gym Master (whose gym was not seen in the trailer at all) gets a completely generic description. The description about the professor is also based entirely on trailer observations.
  3. Some other things about this rumor is that it also panders to speculation about the map of the region shown in the reveal trailer. The claim of 7 gyms and a lack of an Elite Four come from this.
  4. More speculation of armored forms. Armored Forms are common leak bait this gen, just like Synchro Evolution was last gen. And both times, it is based on a form change first seen in the anime (Armored Mewtwo and Ash-Greninja respectively).
  5. The Championship Cup would be in a weird format due to having seven entrants, leaving a single elimination tournament completely impossible.
  6. The player, Sean, and Cristle are all competing to represent Dustart Town, which would be very weird for one town to have 3 entrants while the other towns only have one unless the player becomes Dustart Town's sole representative, which means that the player won't actually face either of their rivals in the Championship Cup.

Everyone's so thirsty for a region chock full of Branch evolutions that we seem to get leaks focusing on it every cycle:

The 'story' of the teams seems to be quite boring. The branch evolution aspect is the only thing that appeals to me. But if any region had to have lots of branch evolutions it was Alola.

This leak is so terrible I both love and hate that it got a whole article posting. (At least it's not getting as much attention as that one Reddit post...)

• Branching evolutions depending on the version of the game is referred to as a "new feature", despite the fact that we already saw this in SuMo.
  • "It encourages trading, but also, you can just catch the Pokemon in your game, which removes the need to trade entirely"
  • "New battle mechanic based on distance." doesn't say anything else about this
  • "The island also has the and battle frontier." They knew they wanted something to be there, they just forgot to add it in.
  • The teams are official league teams, but the Champion isn't allowed to investigate them for some reason, so they have to ask someone who is joining the rival team, as if Team Sword is just gonna share their secrets with Team Shield despite being rivals.
  • Your captain just gives you the legendary and tells you to stop the evil manager, instead of helping you fight, despite being known for their skill at Pokemon battles

Last edited:
Okay, these are the thing thus far I can’t stand with these fake leaks... 1: 5 to 6 Gyms, I can see 8 if you count the cities. 2: Two professors and two evil teams. 3: Gym Masters, that’s what Gym Leaders are called in Japan. 4: Johto references, and yet Sinnoh has suddenly fell silent. 5: Armored Evolution. 6: starters evolutions and yet it isn’t November. 7. People still don’t see that Galar is Great Britain upside-down with few geography changes.

I just want to see something interesting. That is all I ask. I don't care when.
I personally want a lot to be revealed ahead of time, I feel like SM had the perfect amount of stuff shown before the release. A lot of the game being shown never ruins the game for me, it just gets me hyped for the experience I get to have while playing it. The only thing I refrain from wanting to see is a straight-up walkthrough of the game before I play it (or big climactic events), but anything else i'm fine with.
PATIENCE is an ultimate key here.

I know our patiences will be rewarding soon.. My advices are just distract ourselves from this game for a while and stop thinking and feeling disappointed about a lack of news that we got. Like, you know, this game will be released in late 2019 for sure. Don't need to worry.

We have to accept that this game lacks of news. Unlike previous game, which provides promising new informations every month (Especially pre-XY and ORAS era)
At least in my opinion, it shouldn't be about frequency or amount of information, but rather how they present said information to us. TPC generally loves to drop surprise trailers on us, but I don't think that's the best marketing strategy; neither is them spoiling nearly the whole game or complete radio silence for awhile. In fact, I have a couple of suggestions/ideas about this:

1. In additon to spacing out the trailers (which they seem to be doing thus far), start listing a date at the end of each trailer for when more news will drop. This keeps the fandom from getting too impatient to the point they begin to lose interest if there isn't going to be any news for awhile. If they still want to keep it somewhat of a surprise, have the end of the trailer list a month or a range of months instead of listing the exact date.
  2. Do something similar to the riddler; give us some sort of indication about the game, but be vague enough that it drums up speculation. Basically, give the fandom a puzzle to attempt to solve so the hype for SwSh is kept alive.
  3. Limit the number of Pokémon revealed to two per trailer unless you wish to show off the signature Pokémon of an important character.
If TPC does these things, then I think we could all benefit from it. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if SwSh marketing turns out to be the exact opposite of what I listed.

Here's the problems with the second leak:

1. It outright claims that Pokemon evolving into different Pokemon based on version is a new feature even though Cosmoem can do this in Sun & Moon.
  2. It claims that the branch evolution feature encourages trading yet it also claims that you can catch them in a post-game area, removing the need to trade.
  3. It claims that Sky Battles return, along with new "Marine Battles". Sky Battles were made optional and then removed due to how limiting they were. And, now it claims that the player has to use certain Water type Pokemon in order to battle underwater when this was never a limitation in any game where Diving appeared in the past.
  4. Claiming that the Battle Frontier is back is never good for a rumor's credibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom