• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am more interested in seeing if they will bother to bring back the Gen IV Frontier for the hypothetical Sinnoh remakes.

I doubt they will, personally. They didn't bother to bring back the original Gen III Frontier for ORAS. I mean maybe Sinnoh fans will have better luck than we Hoenn fans did not that you deserve it but we'll see.

(I'm just kidding you, Sinnoh fans)
Not entirely correct.

Do you think that SwSh will add any good fairy attack moves or widen availability? For instance, LGPE had as a TM move. As such, more Pokémon had access to the move like Arcanine for example. Alternatively ,do you think they'll add more fairy attack moves like a Fairy Punch move (with like 75 attack power but better accuracy and more access)? That way we have more stab options for physical fairy pokémon like Tapu Koko or Bulu.

Well, there's this italian poketuber (Cydonia) who is thinking the new mechanic can focus on having three pokemon on the field at the same time, all three active with their abilities, with some sort of item/bar that can allow a free switch at some point during the battle. This is an interpretation of the logo with the three pokeball. The most interesting thing however is that he actually pointed out that the battle field seen in the trailer has nothing to do with football (the old battle field was shaped similar to a football field but not this new one). This is what it actually looks like:
View attachment 116846
Since Lucario and Ttar are situated on the white part of the pokeball, he imagines other two pokemon being in the red part working as supporters.
I'm more into Gnoggin's theory that there's a positioning element to these new battles

EW, positioning in battles? Great! Select my pokemon to use a move. Enemy pokemon is faster and repositions so my usually 100% accurate move will now miss.

Why do people want to change the pokemon battle system so much. Why do they want to fix what is very not broken???
........You do know it doesn't to be regular battles in genral right? Like it can just be an alternat type of battle, like what we already have plenty of?

EW, positioning in battles? Great! Select my pokemon to use a move. Enemy pokemon is faster and repositions so my usually 100% accurate move will now miss.

Why do people want to change the pokemon battle system so much. Why do they want to fix what is very not broken???
Erm, isn't what you are describing Rotation Battles?

I've never gotten to a point where rotation battles are in a game to be fair so I really don't know how those work? But if they're rotating at least my move would hit something? What I just explained is a move usage going to complete waste because my opponent moved 1 or 2 tiles out of the way in battle.

@Knightwolf09 If they're an alternate battle style I never have to touch like air battles that'd be fine... though if it were something like 'chess but with pokemon pieces' where stats don't matter that'd be another thing completely.

Not broken, not perfect either. The problem is that vgc is really losing audience. TPC needs to focus on competitive because nowdays streaming and battles online are really popular in other franchises. The battles in the games are kinda ok but competitivly speaking over 800 pokemon you only see the same 20 battling with almost the same strategies over and over.

Not broken, not perfect either. The problem is that vgc is really losing audience. TPC needs to focus on competitive because nowdays streaming and battles online are really popular in other franchises. The battles in the games are kinda ok but competitivly speaking over 800 pokemon you only see the same 20 battling with almost the same strategies over and over.
You can kinda blame the creators for making the new pokemon not as good or useful outside of the story. It they planned out more the effectiveness of the pokemon in story and offline, teams would be much more broader with options.

Yeah, but I wouldn't want the battling completely altered to the point it's barely the same anymore because of things I don't even take part in? I mean seriously, we're probably going to have to pay to interact online on the Switch now. There's even less incentive for me to give any sort of care towards what the competitive scene wants. I play the games alone. I don't have friends to play with. And without access to internet interactions, I don't have anyone to play with considering the only friend I have who plays lives in another state.

I've never gotten to a point where rotation battles are in a game to be fair so I really don't know how those work? But if they're rotating at least my move would hit something? What I just explained is a move usage going to complete waste because my opponent moved 1 or 2 tiles out of the way in battle.

@Knightwolf09 If they're an alternate battle style I never have to touch like air battles that'd be fine... though if it were something like 'chess but with pokemon pieces' where stats don't matter that'd be another thing completely.
Okay, Rotation Battles work this way: you send three Pokémon. Only the first Pokémon can be attacked. On your turn, you can choose an attack or rotate your Pokémon in any direction and attack with that Pokémon. Once you choose, the Pokémon rotate (if any of you decided to rotate) and then the attacks hit.

At least, that's how I understand them.

EDIT: In other words, they depend mostly on your ability to predict what your opponent will do.

You can kinda blame the creators for making the new pokemon not as good or useful outside of the story. It they planned out more the effectiveness of the pokemon in story and offline, teams would be much more broader with options.
I'm honestly expecting these games to be the games who properly reorganise the effectiveness of pokemon in battles. I don't know if there'll be some new specific mechanics or if GF will modify the abilities/stats/movesets of pokemon, but it's sword/shield, a battle focused region, huge arenas, we had rumors saying the battle system was going to be altered somehow...it's like now or never.
It's interesting that they showed that old capture mechanic is back, wild encounters are back but we don't know anything about the battle system except that it still looks turn based. We don't even know what the UI will look like.

If all Pokemon Regions were Gyms, what would their typings be?

Kanto: Fire Type
Johto: Dragon Type
Hoenn: Water Type
Sinnoh: Ice Type
Unova: Electric Type
Kalos: Fairy Type
Alola: Grass Type
Galar: Steel Type (Possibly)
Yeah, I agree on almost all of these.

Kanto: Maybe poison type (because so many poison pokemon...lol)
Johto: Dragon
Hoenn: 7.8/10 too much water
Sinnoh: Ice
Unova: Electric sounds about right, for some reason normal seems right to me too (not to say NYC is "normal" compared to other regions that'd be weird)
Kalos: Fairy
Alola: I guess grass type would work? I really can't even think of anything else tbh.
Galar: Steel

Now that there are 8 main series regions it'd be fascinating if a game had a gym inspired by each of them.

This is a theory I have about the box Legendaries in terms of the logos...

One leaker suggested that they are one and the same - just 'forms' of one Legendary, kind of Kyurem or Necrozma. I kind of wonder if it is the opposite: The "hilt" is just a pokemon that fuses with the 'real' box legendaries, which haven't actually been revealed yet.
This is a really neat idea actually? It’s different and I really wouldn’t mind this :0

The PWT was a post-game battle facility done right. Assuming Stadiums are going to the big themes in this game, I don't see why they wouldn't bring something like that back.

I agree, I did hate that some aspects were locked behind country specific events if you wanted to battle against VGC champions mind you. But the overall system was beautiful.

Of course they have. But we are talking about a full power, full hd console. There's less improvement here than when we moved from b/w to x/y. I expected more from the first console games of the biggest franchise of all time. To me these games look just a bit better than s/m, that's just the least improvement someone could expect for a console game. I expected more than the least. Is that a crime or since it's pokemon I'm not allowed to have expectations higher than 10%?
Again, it's my opinion, it's how I feel. If you are satisfied by the graphics, enjoy them.

That is factually incorrect. The improvement between SM - SS is much greater graphics wise than between BW - XY. You're seemingly only taking into account the fact that Pokémon jumped from 2D to 3D from BW to XY, however, the Switch can't really jump from 3D to 4D, so I'm not really sure what you were actually expecting there. Graphics wise however, there is a greater graphical jump between Sm - SS than BW - XY.

SS are using more than enough graphics as the Switch can provide without sacrificing performance, so if you have issues with solely the graphics, then you should perhaps start looking at the console itself, not the game.

Thats mostly because of the ticket price and restrictive rules on spectating, but the price has been going down. The switch of course will change a lot how we visualise battles due to no longer squinting at a small 240 P screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom