• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is factually incorrect. The improvement between SM - SS is much greater graphics wise than between BW - XY. You're seemingly only taking into account the fact that Pokémon jumped from 2D to 3D from BW to XY, however, the Switch can't really jump from 3D to 4D, so I'm not really sure what you were actually expecting there. Graphics wise however, there is a greater graphical jump between Sm - SS than BW - XY.

SS are using more than enough graphics as the Switch can provide without sacrificing performance, so if you have issues with solely the graphics, then you should perhaps start looking at the console itself, not the game.

USUM to LGPE was a jump from 240 P to 1080. Its one of the biggest jumps any video game series has done in a single generation. Granted LGPE and what we've seen of SS are no where near pushing the limits of the switch. The visuals are no XB2 but Pokemon SS is still beautiful

Last edited:
USUM to LGPE was a jump from 240 P to 1080. Its one of the biggest jumps any video game series has done in a single generation. Granted LGPE and what we've seen of SS are no where near pushing the limits of the switch. The visuals are no XB2 but Pokemon SS is still beautiful

It wouldn't be pushing the Switch while it is docked, however, they do need to ensure that SS look great in handheld mode as well as docked, without sacrificing performance for either. I think they did a great job with that. The games have more than adequate graphics (The best in a Pokémon game by far), and we'll hopefully have no kind of performance issues with these games at all.

That is factually incorrect. The improvement between SM - SS is much greater graphics wise than between BW - XY. You're seemingly only taking into account the fact that Pokémon jumped from 2D to 3D from BW to XY, however, the Switch can't really jump from 3D to 4D, so I'm not really sure what you were actually expecting there. Graphics wise however, there is a greater graphical jump between Sm - SS than BW - XY.

SS are using more than enough graphics as the Switch can provide without sacrificing performance, so if you have issues with solely the graphics, then you should perhaps start looking at the console itself, not the game.
The engine from b/w was different from the one of x/y. Sw/sh even if they are switch titles work on the same 3ds engine of s/m (or on an incredibly similar one). This is why the jump look so small.

It wouldn't be pushing the Switch while it is docked, however, they do need to ensure that SS look great in handheld mode as well as docked, without sacrificing performance for either. I think they did a great job with that. The games have more than adequate graphics (The best in a Pokémon game by far), and we'll hopefully have no kind of performance issues with these games at all.

LGPE looks great both docked and handheld, but thats because it isnt really graphically intensive like other JRPGs. Its fine the way it is honestly. Im sure Pokemon SS will reach 1080 p as well.

The engine from b/w was different from the one of x/y. Sw/sh even if they are switch titles work on the same 3ds engine of s/m (or on an incredibly similar one). This is why the jump look so small.
an engine is merely a toolbox. even if SM and SS are using the same engine, it clearly was not being used to its full potential in SM. also this almost feels like a rehash of what everyone said about SM not being a big enough of a jump from XY early on until it became plainly obvious that there was a substantial increase in visual quality (albeit largely due to stylistic choices, but i digress) from XY to SM.

Going from video footage to the Switch should involve a jump in visuals. It's probably more impressive on there.

I'm fine with everyone else using it because they can have their fun but I personally hate the name "Swish" or "swsh", lol. Just sounds bad to me

SS makes me think of a ship. All aboard the S.S. Pokemon! (Or the S.S. Anne but pls no more kanto right now)

If they ever make a Steel-type Eeveelution, then they'll most likely pull a Lucario and make it furry but give it detailing that makes it feel metalic like horns/spikes.
I say this because they've done this with other Eeveelutions like Glaceon where she's clearly furry but has parts that look like they could be ice like her head gem-horn-things.

I agree with @TechSkylander1518 It does not make much sense that someone who has concept art of the Eeveelutions also knows when these new Eeveelutions will be leaked in CoroCoro. In fact, they phrase it as "It could be in April or May" makes it look like they are guessing more than they actually know. They probably could have given themselves more of a chance by leaving this part out, or even just posting the concept art without any context.

The designs are really cool though, and they remind me a lot of concept art that has been seen in the past. While I hope that when we do see a Steel Type eeveelution, it gets a more steam punk design (especially if it gets it this gen. I mean look at that industrial city). I love the flying type one a lot though. I think some fakemon flying types do it better, but this design is still solid.

Something in the art style on the top one seems off to me but I may just be tired and not looking at it correctly.

These both look pretty realistic in terms of pokemon designs - if they're not real the artist really captured "pokemoness" in their design.

I don't like that the steel one seems to have such a big forehead (proportions for the head/face seem different in different images on that one??) but other than that I like them both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom