• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For not being on disc, or clearly taken from development mid-work to be sold later? Like, something that is fairly clearly developed after game development finished or ended the major stages of it?
The backlash with Capcom was that the characters were finished and complete, so people were not happy to pay for things that were already on the disc. The PC version fared worse, since they also have the data of the console and PS3-exclusive characters, something that didn't happen with other games (like Mortal Kombat).

The backlash with Capcom was that the characters were finished and complete, so people were not happy to pay for things that were already on the disc. The PC version fared worse, since they also have the data of the console and PS3-exclusive characters, something that didn't happen with other games (like Mortal Kombat).

....But that isn't what I am suggesting. I am suggesting something that wasn't complete, and finished later. At worst a low priority thing that was cut out early, but revived later as DLC after most of the game was done and they couldn't add it into the base.

The engine from b/w was different from the one of x/y. Sw/sh even if they are switch titles work on the same 3ds engine of s/m (or on an incredibly similar one). This is why the jump look so small.

Do you have an actual source confirming your statement, or have you just been making that up based on your own assumptions? The jump doesn't look small at all, the level of detail in SS is greatly superior to SM, to the point where it is very noticeable. Graphics wise, there isn't too much greater they can do before performance starts suffering as a result of it. The graphics in the short video trailer looked great already (and this is just a video of it, seeing the game in real life will obviously look even better), not to mention extra details and what not will also be improved towards the end of game development as well, so there's no reason to think graphics for this game are subpar, because they aren't.

All they can do from this point forward to make the games look different enough are the camera angles (free roaming cameras for instance), or change up the art styles. Graphically wise, there isn't much else they need to improve on, because the graphics already look good (and will probably end up looking even better by the end).

Do you have an actual source confirming your statement, or have you just been making that up based on your own assumptions? The jump doesn't look small at all, the level of detail in SS is greatly superior to SM, to the point where it is very noticeable. Graphics wise, there isn't too much greater they can do before performance starts suffering as a result of it. The graphics in the short video trailer looked great already (and this is just a video of it, seeing the game in real life will obviously look even better), not to mention extra details and what not will also be improved towards the end of game development as well, so there's no reason to think graphics for this game are subpar, because they aren't.

All they can do from this point forward to make the games look different enough are the camera angles (free roaming cameras for instance), or change up the art styles. Graphically wise, there isn't much else they need to improve on, because the graphics already look good (and will probably end up looking even better by the end).

We must always remember that they intend to have 1080p 60fps in handheld mode. How to do a "botw version" that way?

Regional DeX and nothing else.
If we just go by regional dex, then Heatran, Regigigas, Cresselia, Phione, Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus are no longer Gen 4. List of Pokémon by Sinnoh Pokédex number - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia
One thing to notice... meltan first appeared as ditto. Now he's doing "head replacements". I mean... could meltan have no shape at all? So sword/shield form for meltan is just one of the many forms he could have?
It was the other way around-Ditto was copying Meltan.

....But that isn't what I am suggesting. I am suggesting something that wasn't complete, and finished later. At worst a low priority thing that was cut out early, but revived later as DLC after most of the game was done and they couldn't add it into the base.
Oh, I misunderstood your post. That might be slightly more forgivable. Specially if it's free DLC because I don't think people will take it well if they have to pay.

If we just go by regional dex, then Heatran, Regigigas, Cresselia, Phione, Darkrai, Shaymin and Arceus are no longer Gen 4. List of Pokémon by Sinnoh Pokédex number - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

It was the other way around-Ditto was copying Meltan.

For the DeX, same source: "This is the only regional Pokédex listing not to include all the new Pokémon introduced in its corresponding generation."

Valid point, for sure, but an exception.

For the ditto... I don't know if it's just because ditto can copy forms or also because meltan have some similar ability (but for head only).

Could they be related somehow?

For the DeX, same source: "This is the only regional Pokédex listing not to include all the new Pokémon introduced in its corresponding generation."

Valid point, for sure, but an exception.
But for it to be an exception, that has to mean that there's something besides the regional dex that defines what generation a Pokmon is in.

For the ditto... I don't know if it's just because ditto can copy forms or also because meltan have some similar ability (but for head only).

Could they be related somehow?
It was definitely confirmed to be because Ditto was copying Meltan.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvLDA70ZvbU

Meltan's not shown to have any abilities altering its head, either. Its altered appearances in the anime were because its nut was stolen, and so Rowlet was trying to find a replacement for it. It was literally just random objects. (hence the Klefki)

But for it to be an exception, that has to mean that there's something besides the regional dex that defines what generation a Pokmon is in.

It was definitely confirmed to be because Ditto was copying Meltan.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvLDA70ZvbU

Meltan's not shown to have any abilities altering its head, either. Its altered appearances in the anime were because its nut was stolen, and so Rowlet was trying to find a replacement for it. It was literally just random objects. (hence the Klefki)

Omg, how can we define generations then? It looks harder than I thought...

For meltan... I get your point and I didn't know it was just random replacements... but if the nut can be changed for any possible object... maybe we have a thing for meltan in the new games (replacement objects) changing meltan form and abilities/type... like rotom maybe?

I just think meltan will surprise us somehow.

Omg, how can we define generations then? It looks harder than I thought...
It is! The last seven Pokemon really threw a wrench into how things are usually classified!
For meltan... I get your point and I didn't know it was just random replacements... but if the nut can be changed for any possible object... maybe we have a thing for meltan in the new games (replacement objects) changing meltan form and abilities/type... like rotom maybe?

I just think meltan will surprise us somehow.
That would honestly be really cool! I'd love to see that, even as a cosmetic-only form!

Bulbapedia list Type:Null and Silvally as legendary pokemon which is kinda weird. But not including them to the total count, a whopping 25 legendaries while gen 7 only introduced 88 new Pokemon which is more than a fourth was just so damn stupid unnecessary and I wished they never introduced those UB's at all.

I hope they won't repeat the same mistake with gen 8.
It's not that weird actually since they've been officially confirmed to be Legendary by TPC.

I think they just mean that the line is weird to be classified as legendary. They're manmade Pokemon with several copies-that would seem to put them among the likes of Castform, Porygon, etc, rather than the other manmade legendaries like Mewtwo, with only one in the world.

I think they just mean that the line is weird to be classified as legendary. They're manmade Pokemon with several copies-that would seem to put them among the likes of Castform, Porygon, etc, rather than the other manmade legendaries like Mewtwo, with only one in the world.

I feel like as the generations progressed and the number of alternate universes grew...so did the number of Mewtwo in the multiverse. Because if Red/Green canonly caught THE Mewtwo, how else would there be one in Kalos?

Either that or Mewtwo is like Phione and Mew breed off screen and Mewtwo just naturally happen. I mean with the different universes anything can happen.

But at this point I'm really seeing Meltan in the same sense as Arcanine is a legendary Pokemon in name only. Or they will be like better and more viable Carbink because it can evolve.

To be fair there's only three and they wouldn't have been mass produced since they were a failed experiment meant to be locked away in secret. That puts them above Porygon and Castform since they're treated as very unique Pokémon.

I am still thinking meltan is Gen8 pokemon. It has literally didn't have any connections with both Alola and Kanto. Yes it was distributed in LGEP but you know it was the ONLY think LGEP can offer as a new thing. Meltan may have Gen7 asset number for now but i think its just for NOW. When gen8 comes it will have totally new asset number imo. Because giving it it's real asset number could spoil how many new pokemon in SwSh.

The giant carving from the trailer clearly have meltans under it. It will be important for Gen8, maybe will be the zygarde misson of the Galar.

About anime, it may have debut in Sun and Moon but Ash can keep it and bring it Galar so we can see more about it's origin. Actually I think that will be the reason why Ash travels Galar, for searching the meltan's origin. But i don't think that red eyed meltan hints anything.

Meltan may have Gen7 asset number for now but i think its just for NOW. When gen8 comes it will have totally new asset number imo. Because giving it it's real asset number could spoil how many new pokemon in SwSh.

Asset numbers have literally never changed, and Zeraora and Marshadow had no connections to Alola.

Edit: And even if Meltan gets story focus in SS, it’s still going to be a Generation 7 Pokemon, just like Zygarde is Generation 6.

Last edited:
Asset numbers have literally never changed, and Zeraora and Marshadow had no connections to Alola.

Edit: And even if Meltan gets story focus in SS, it’s still going to be a Generation 7 Pokemon, just like Zygarde is Generation 6.

Asset numbers is all generations are about?

If you like what they have done, good for you, but maybe you don't give too much importance to the graphics in a game because, trust me, that's far from being the best they can do.
About the engine, yes, my eyes told me so, you don't really need anything else. The similarities with s/m are evident that's the 3ds engine or a slightly enhanced 3ds engine. If you look at s/m on citra you will notice that the difference is almost all in the details added thanks to the power of the switch and not in the actual quality of the grapghic, which is basically the same.

There's clearly a slight improvement but we are talking about a 240p console vs a 1080p console. That was obvious, wasn't it? The jump however is not that big to think there's a different engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom