• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like BoTW and Odyssey have moving cameras because their gameplay is heavily focused on world traversal/platforming- the main character is doing a lot of climbing/jumping/swimming themselves, while in Pokemon, you’ve always been mostly a normal kid (who cant even climb ledges) who has Pokemon to help traverse the environment. Most of the other people in the overworld are also ‘normal’ people, who stick to a lot of the same paths and locations you’re limited to.

I’m not saying it would necessarily be horrible to have more of that kind of thing in Pokemon, I think it could be cool, but it would be very different and require a lot of work to make the player’s control of the character feel good and responsive, and I understand why Gamefreak hasn’t done that yet because it really isn’t what Pokemon has ever been about.

It doesn't help that the ledges have always been depicted to look like you could easily step over them- they kind of get away with it in older games that have a more stylized look, but its pretty silly looking in the newer ones. I feel like if they were more clearly like, at least a yard tall, it'd make more sense why my trainer doesn't just ignore them.

Actually, did we see any ledges in the trailer? Maybe they've come up with a different puzzle obstacle this time, or have actually made the ledges look taller... I think the only issue with making them taller would be that it would make it harder for people to tell what's a ledge they can hop down, and what's a cliff boundary that you aren't allowed to walk off, but that feels like something that could be resolved...

My main problem with LGPE's graphics are the pseudo-chibi people, although some characters look better than others (Bill, Koga, Blaine and Giovanni come to mind).

SwSh suffer from the typical "Game Freak haven't mastered this style yet" and a weird blend of anime and more realistic graphics, not to mention the in-battles textures being pretty bad right now. I also dislike having to watch my avatar from a helicopter in that mountain scene, or from any angle but directly behind, really.

Oh, and the movie Mewtwo is probably going to unlock something in SwSh. It isn't even that special right now.

Last edited:
The second I see Pokemon who already got Mega Evolutions and regional forms to get special treatment, the rumor loses credibility for me. I don't doubt that fusion will happen eventually but seeing another type of form change on the same Pokemon that already had one type of form change just doesn't match with how Game Freak does things. I know about Pikachu, but that's the exception since it's the Pokemon mascot.

I really hope this armoured evolution thing is a bust and never happens. I don't know why but it leaves a really bad taste in my mouth just thinking about it.

I think that Paul Ryan had already mentioned Armored Mewtwo merchandise by the time that rumor was posted. Or was it posted in in December-January?

So, hey, I've been thinking bout 360 camera and it doesn't seem that useful. We see a lot of tight spaces in the game so we wouldn't be seeing much.

I have never wanted a 360 camera in Pokémon until now.

However, I think SwSh needs something like this to differentiate itself from Gen VII. Having the ability to just rotate the camera freely, is all SwSh would need to achieve this.

• They are minuscule from your point of view. In the ensemble there are plenty of things (textures, shadows, 3ds style), so it's still a problem for me.
I'm not saying that textures and shadows are minuscule things, I'm saying that what you found issue with was minuscule. The shadow issue was on one fence and some background trees, and you're ignoring every other time shadows were done right to say that the games have an issue with shadows. Your issue with textures is on one wall and one dirt/grass path, and you're ignoring all the other textures to say that these are a problem. It doesn't matter how much or little someone values shadows and textures-the fact is, these are not the entire set of graphics displayed in the trailer.
  • You said that since some details are really small they didn't have to care making them high-res. This is why I said you assumed no one was going to play these games on a big tv. Have you seen the trailer on a big fhd tv? I did.
I said it didn't matter because the logo on the shirt would appear for literally one second, not because it wouldn't be seen on a TV.
  • If the comparison is a good thing for you then: "Breath of the wild has a huge 3D open world, 100% explorable. Mario has an open map, fully explorable in 3D. Botw and Mario have a moving camera. Botw has proper home console art style and graphics. Botw has an incredible difficulty level. Botw has voice acting", when Pokemon has all this, you can definitively make the comparison about the flaws. Because I think you need to respect the hard work of people and the people behind these games made a huge work, so, here, I can say "Ok, it doesn't matter if a cactus has no shadow".
You need to respect the hard work of people, but you're just going to assume that Game Freak put no effort into SwSh when all we've got is a trailer?
  • What's rude in saying that I need anything but my eyes to see the engine looks just like the 3ds? It's the truth.
If you really can't see how you're being patronizing here, I don't know how to explain it to you.
  • As I said to others, if you like the graphics, fine. But I have reasons to not like them as much as you do. Stop acting like if it's my imagination:
I literally just said, nobody's saying that you have to like them. I'm asking that you acknowledge them as your opinion instead of acting like it's fact.

The graphics aren't my biggest issue with this game. I do think they're underwhelming, I would've liked to see a lot more detailed models with higher resolutions/polygon count, better shading, a controllable camera, and things like that, but it's not like the current artstyle looks bad or anything. The bigger issue here is map design. The game maps are still the same old linear hallways we've seen consistently since 5th gen and there really should've been more of a leap towards more open ended exploration. Console adventure games tend to emphasize open exploration in their gameplay and design, consoles have always had stronger hardware, had appealed towards more longplay, and for a while had been more 3D than handhelds, so there's always been a strong association between console gaming and open exploration. And unfortunately, this association is not there with this game map. The game world looks slightly bigger, but we're not seeing enough of the open fields and wider paths needed to make this game feel more console-esque, and even if they couldn't quite go full on BotW, this is far too small of a step forward for a such a massive hardware leap that the game just doesn't feel quite up to par for a console game.

I feel like BoTW and Odyssey have moving cameras because their gameplay is heavily focused on world traversal/platforming- the main character is doing a lot of climbing/jumping/swimming themselves, while in Pokemon, you’ve always been mostly a normal kid (who cant even climb ledges) who has Pokemon to help traverse the environment. Most of the other people in the overworld are also ‘normal’ people, who stick to a lot of the same paths and locations you’re limited to.

I’m not saying it would necessarily be horrible to have more of that kind of thing in Pokemon, I think it could be cool, but it would be very different and require a lot of work to make the player’s control of the character feel good and responsive, and I understand why Gamefreak hasn’t done that yet because it really isn’t what Pokemon has ever been about.

Just because you're using Pokemon abilities instead of your own abilities doesn't mean that the game isn't about world traversal/platforming. Pokemon has always been an adventure game about navigating a huge overworld and interacting with the environment to explore. This is another thing that we should see prominently on display in a console Pokemon game that disappointingly doesn't seem to be there (although maybe there's still a chance, but the map doesn't seem to indicate a lot of field ability usage in this game so probably not).

It doesn't help that the ledges have always been depicted to look like you could easily step over them- they kind of get away with it in older games that have a more stylized look, but its pretty silly looking in the newer ones. I feel like if they were more clearly like, at least a yard tall, it'd make more sense why my trainer doesn't just ignore them.

Actually, did we see any ledges in the trailer? Maybe they've come up with a different puzzle obstacle this time, or have actually made the ledges look taller... I think the only issue with making them taller would be that it would make it harder for people to tell what's a ledge they can hop down, and what's a cliff boundary that you aren't allowed to walk off, but that feels like something that could be resolved...

Slopes might accomplish that better in a 3D artstyle, a dirt slope is something that you can look at and immediately tell that it's something that's a one way trip down. And they've already done a little bit with slopes in the past, so it wouldn't really take that much work to replace them.

• They are minuscule from your point of view. In the ensemble there are plenty of things (textures, shadows, 3ds style), so it's still a problem for me.
  • You said that since some details are really small they didn't have to care making them high-res. This is why I said you assumed no one was going to play these games on a big tv. Have you seen the trailer on a big fhd tv? I did.
  • If the comparison is a good thing for you then: "Breath of the wild has a huge 3D open world, 100% explorable. Mario has an open map, fully explorable in 3D. Botw and Mario have a moving camera. Botw has proper home console art style and graphics. Botw has an incredible difficulty level. Botw has voice acting", when Pokemon has all this, you can definitively make the comparison about the flaws. Because I think you need to respect the hard work of people and the people behind these games made a huge work, so, here, I can say "Ok, it doesn't matter if a cactus has no shadow".
  • What's rude in saying that I need anything but my eyes to see the engine looks just like the 3ds? It's the truth.
  • As I said to others, if you like the graphics, fine. But I have reasons to not like them as much as you do. Stop acting like if it's my imagination:

Probably graphics are not a big deal for you as they are for me.

Graphics are a big deal for me but they are first off, better than 3ds (just look at the water, compare trees and stuff) this game footage wasn't even final so why there's obviously a lot of flaws that they will address like shadows and stuff. This isn't the time to be judging the game's graphics, wait for a trailer with completed graphics.

Graphics are a big deal for me but they are first off, better than 3ds (just look at the water, compare trees and stuff) this game footage wasn't even final so why there's obviously a lot of flaws that they will address like shadows and stuff. This isn't the time to be judging the game's graphics, wait for a trailer with completed graphics.

Well again, the Switch is much stronger hardware than the 3DS, so just being better isn't necessarily enough, the game should feel night and day better. And the game doesn't exactly scream "Wow, this is so much better than the 3DS games and looks like it's taking advantage of the Switch".

beak blast with that cool looking horn,

A horn isn’t a beak last time I checked. And Chameleons don’t have breaks to my knowledge.
The game world looks slightly bigger, but we're not seeing enough of the open fields and wider paths needed to make this game feel more console-esque
We haven’t seen enough footage to say that, though.

(scrolls through pages and pages of circular arguments about the graphics, with no one getting mad about people going back and forth over one topic and taking over the thread)

Ah yes, totally different from the LGBTQ discussion.

Anyway, about the 360 camera in relation to world interaction, I'd love it if the PokéRide/Secret Technique equivalent involved puzzles of that nature, warranting a 360 camera. We don't see anything of that nature in the trailer, but we also don't really see a lot of much. Especially since the developers said in the video that they are 'trying new things.'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom