• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tweet from pokemon twitter replying to pokemon detective pikachu twitter tweet
How many more hints? Just these two:

beyond the reasons why people already think that there may be a new pokemon in the movie, I think this is also a hint that donphan will be replaced in the movie or it could hint towards armor for the the bulba line. shrugs thoughts?

edit a previous tweet that seems to suggest that the grass emojis used in the tweet above does mean bulbasaur/bulba line. leaves and sprout emoji

beyond the reasons why people already think that there may be a new pokemon in the movie, I think this is also a hint that donphan will be replaced in the movie or it could hint towards armor for the the bulba line. shrugs thoughts?

edit a previous tweet that seems to suggest that the grass emojis used in the tweet above does mean bulbasaur/bulba line. leaves and sprout emoji
Or it could be referencing Detective Pikachu with Mewtwo and Bulbasaur

The Bulky/Cool/Feminine trope is actually pretty nice for the starters. It gives them more of a difference in design, and it's a really marketable design, especially for kids. That's why it is used very often in popular media, specifically in ones that are marketed towards younger audiences. But we can get some really great designs for final evos just using this idea. Personally, Gen 7 was the first time that I actually really liked all the starters final evolutoins. I know I complain about Incineroar a lot, but that's just because I really wanted a four legged fire starter, but I do like his design.

I think I'd like to see this cool, sporty design for Scorbunny (maybe give it a Fire/Electric or Fire/Steel typing).

Sobble can have the strong design which would be really great idea for his evolution, going from a small and weak looking little water lizard to a big, strong water lizard (Water/Ghost would be really cool with his invisibility thing, but water dragon would also be cool). It also doesn't need to have a big strong design, instead just maybe give it a more tough expression, as it shows off how it's toughened up into a strong Pokemon.

And I think Grookey would look amazing with an edgy, punk rock sort of look, at least going off the idea that their evolution is going to be more music themed (which we don't know yet). I think that would be really awesome having this punk, feminine looking design, with a dark or rock typing maybe. Or they could go for a more sweet feminine design, with a fairy or psychic type.

Looks like we're gonna wait until May to hear something interesting, as usual.
late May, as what happened with Sun and Moon. This would probably make sense seeing there's Detective Pikachu that is going to be shown in early May. Plus there's E3 in June.

I don't mind the cool/bulky/femenine approach for the starters. It only makes sense, to have 3 different "styles" of starters.

Starters are, arguably, the most important Pokémon, because they are the first Pokémon you meet when starting a new journey. So you wanna make sure there's a starter that appeals to everyone.

Charizard is my ideal design for a starter's final evolution ;)
I really think that this approach is flawed, honestly. If you're not one to research your starter's final evolution beforehand, you're more likely to wind up with a fully evolved starter that you hate this way. And it really just makes the preferences more obviously sided in general, especially with the gendered "feminine" trope. I think it's way better when the starter designs are more neutral, like in Gen 1 (damn right I said it), so you've got people with similar tastes picking different starters because they don't have such a blatantly catered appeal.

Plus what about the people who don't like "cool" or feminine or bulky? I'm not one for girly-girl shit, bulky characters, or "always has to look badass somehow"- I just want a nice down-to-earth buddy who isn't trying to fit a lame cheesy stereotype. There's a reason that I haven't found the final starter evos particularly appealing in the past two gens, and this "boxed personality" approach would be a big part of why.

The hints were just for the Detective Pikachu emojis-

View: https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1116089297969356800

We do have over two weeks left of April still, and apparently reasons to expect a Nintendo Direct coming. -shrug-

And the Donphan/Bulbasaur thing was pretty interesting, so this month hasn't been a total loss. XD

I think it's way better when the starter designs are more neutral, like in Gen 1 (damn right I said it),

Huh? All three final evolutions of the starters in Gen 1 are relatively bulky, and they ALL have a resting bitch face. Check out the sprites for the three of them, the latter is true.

That's not really neutrality, and it certainly isn't diversity either.

I was there when Gen 1 came out, and it's my least favorite gen in all aspects. Nostalgia? Nah.

Can't wait to see the G8 version of this

Attachments

• 1555030097678.png
    1555030097678.png
    143.7 KB · Views: 87
Feminine: Serperior, Delphox, Primarina
Bulky: Emboar, Chesnaught, Incineroar
Cool: Samuott, Greninja, Decidueye

Don't seem to follow too much of a pattern here. It could be something completely different this time around.

Huh? All three final evolutions of the starters in Gen 1 are relatively bulky, and they ALL have a resting bitch face. Check out the sprites for the three of them, the latter is true.

That's not really neutrality, and it certainly isn't diversity either.

I was there when Gen 1 came out, and it's my least favorite gen in all aspects. Nostalgia? Nah.
They're not "muscle man" bulky and they're neutral in the respect that they are all just animals and not anthromorphic stereotypic caricatures.

Also that "resting bitch face" that you are seeing is probably due to sprite limitations and the style that they had to use for the eyes in Gen 1. There's a reason why a lot of Gen 1 pokemon have those angular eyes.

Feminine: Serperior, Delphox, Primarina
Bulky: Emboar, Chesnaught, Incineroar
Cool: Samuott, Greninja, Decidueye

Don't seem to follow too much of a pattern here. It could be something completely different this time around.

I don't understand why people say that Serperior is feminine. There is nothing really feminine about that design.

Edit: Actually Delphox isn't even that feminine. People have some weird ideas about what femininity is.

Last edited:
late May, as what happened with Sun and Moon. This would probably make sense seeing there's Detective Pikachu that is going to be shown in early May. Plus there's E3 in June.
Why? Because one Nintendo Direct rumor didn’t come true? There’s still plenty of time left in April and nothing really seems to indicate we will have to wait until the end of May

They're not "muscle man" bulky and they're neutral in the respect that they are all just animals and not anthromorphic stereotypic caricatures.

Also that "resting bitch face" that you are seeing is probably due to sprite limitations and the style that they had to use for the eyes in Gen 1. There's a reason why a lot of Gen 1 pokemon have those angular eyes.

I don't understand why people say that Serperior is feminine. There is nothing really feminine about that design.

Edit: Actually Delphox isn't even that feminine. People have some weird ideas about what femininity is.
Braixen doesn't really help that case. Even in the anime Delphox always has a female voice for everyone shown

Braixen doesn't really help that case. Even in the anime Delphox always has a female voice for everyone shown
Probably because foxes have sharp voices. XD

But yeah, I know Braixen doesn't help the matter. I just don't think that it really makes sense to classify Delphox as feminine- it looks like it maybe has a bit of a patchy skirt, but that's the closest you get and for a "feminine" trait it's rather grungy and minimal and could just as well be the bottom of a robe.

Because it only makes sense. Appealing through multiple audiences, especially to some that like cute and girly or whatever.
It's pretty much what Kiran said. It's not necessary no, but that's the route them seem to be taking in order to spread appeal.
If the point is to spread appeal to a variety of audiences, why isn't there more merchandising for Primarina and Delphox in a "feminine" way?

Any kind of merchandising that's supposed to be distinctly more feminine than typical Pokemon merchandise and promotions?
Don't exactly know what that means, but most of the figures and plushes just has them in their normal stances and battle stances, Primarina though does have a figure with it's hair flowing out as it sings

Don't exactly know what that means, but most of the figures and plushes just has them in their normal stances and battle stances, Primarina though does have a figure with it's hair flowing out as it sings
Exactly-they're not given treatment that's noticeably different from other Pokemon. If they're supposed to meet a specific interest, why wouldn't they be more different than the Pokemon that aren't considered as feminine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom