• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you happen to see my take on the whole armor thing?
I hadn't read it because I have no interest in armor theories but I just gave it a read now and your take just sounds like regular items that change the form of certain Pokémon for no good reason.

• only 75 new mons.
Ooh, I can drop my catchphrase now. clears throat

It's been less than two months since the announcement of SwSh. Even leaks that came close to revealing the entire dex of a game only came out close to a game's reveal. (like the BW and SuMo playthroughs where someone got the game early) So how the heck could anyone get all these Pokemon so early on?

Someone feels the Game of Throne climate this gen? Half of the upper map is snow and ice? Feel freeze status and ice types will get more attention then last gen 5 pokemon... We know steel gets a strong move. Maybe one of the legendaries will be ice and other fire? Ice/ghost and fire/ steel. Hope we get many new ice types this gen and moves, maybe icy terrain, ice shielding move and ice soubd freezing move. Dont know if they change ice resistances but maybe they will add new megas and fast, strong and uniqe ability like representatives... Ice may get healing and draining option too this gen. Also many ice type combos werent used. Ice/ghost maybe gets more representatives like grass/ghost did.

Someone feels the Game of Throne climate this gen? Half of the upper map is snow and ice? Feel freeze status and ice types will get more attention then last gen 5 pokemon... We know steel gets a strong move. Maybe one of the legendaries will be ice and other fire? Ice/ghost and fire/ steel. Hope we get many new ice types this gen and moves, maybe icy terrain, ice shielding move and ice soubd freezing move. Dont know if they change ice resistances but maybe they will add new megas and fast, strong and uniqe ability like representatives... Ice may get healing and draining option too this gen. Also many ice type combos werent used. Ice/ghost maybe gets more representatives like grass/ghost did.
I don't think they would base anything on GoT.

If they are gonna base Galar on something, it should be Tolkien's work (especially The Hobbit, since it's a story about a life changing journey, which is what Pokémon's main game is basically all about).

Last edited:
I mean. GOT as a series has been a thing for over 2 decades and the series on TV is a decade old. So it's not super unlikely.

I mean. GOT as a series has been a thing for over 2 decades and the series on TV is a decade old. So it's not super unlikely.
Yeah, but judging by the subject matter of those books, I don't they will include anything related to that in the games. Maybe in the English localization since they like their shout-outs, but not in the Japanese one.

Especially after the issues with Kadabra, I'd think they would be avoiding anything that might risk a lawsuit. Do we currently have any pokemon based on any books or stories that aren't public domain?
I think we do have an exception in Incineroar-Tiger Mask was only first published in 1968-and possibly Drampa, since a lot of fans think it was based on the dragon from The Neverending Story, but those are the only ones I know of. (Though, is it possible they could have arranged some sort of deal with the owners to prevent legal issues? I don't know of what copyright laws handle inspiration/references, but there must be some sort of license they could use, right?)

I think we do have an exception in Incineroar-Tiger Mask was only first published in 1968-and possibly Drampa, since a lot of fans think it was based on the dragon from The Neverending Story, but those are the only ones I know of. (Though, is it possible they could have arranged some sort of deal with the owners to prevent legal issues? I don't know of what copyright laws handle inspiration/references, but there must be some sort of license they could use, right?)
I forgot about Tiger Mask, and yeah, either they struck a deal with them, or it was simply allowed since he doesn't look similar to him, just like King is allowed to stay in Tekken even if he is even more similar to Tiger Mask than Incineroar.

Jerry Anderson is one thing Japanese think of the UK, for him creating Thunderbirds, Stingray, Joe 90, Supercar, Captain Scarlet, Terrahawks, Fireball XL5, UFO, SPACE: 1999

I get the idea that who owns Tiger Mask isn't very clear cut, considering Tiger Mask has also been a number of actual pro wrestlers, apparently both licensed and unlicensed. Is Incineroar based on the manga character or the many wrestlers who have worn a tiger mask? Who do you get permission from and do you really need it?

As for Neverending Story, the likeness is... vague and easily coincidental, so I doubt that any accusations would be able to be held up in court anyway.

I get the idea that who owns Tiger Mask isn't very clear cut, considering Tiger Mask has also been a number of actual pro wrestlers, apparently both licensed and unlicensed. Is Incineroar based on the manga character or the many wrestlers who have worn a tiger mask? Who do you get permission from and do you really need it?
Judging by Incineroar's description, he is kinda like the manga character. From Wikipedia:

Tiger Mask, whose real name was Naoto Date, was a feared heel wrestler in America who was extremely vicious in the ring. However, he became a face after returning to Japan when a young boy said that he wanted to be a villain like Tiger Mask when he grew up. The boy resided in an orphanage, the same one that Tiger Mask grew up in during his childhood. Feeling that he did not want the boy to idolize a villain, Tiger was inspired to be a heroic wrestler.

On the rights thing: I guess they either belong to the creators (Ikki Kajiwara and Naoki Tsuji) or to the owners of the magazine where it was published (Kodansha).

Fish & Chips and Harry Potter.

I think the regional "delicacy" (Castelia Cone, Lavaridge Cookie, Malasada, Lumiose Gallete etc) will be based on Scones.
image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom