• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised that the rumors so far that I have seen didn't mention the nests* in chimneys in the trailer. Personally, I think that habit is a clue to what the regional bird could be.
Like a Jackdaw.
*nest in a chimney, I thought I saw more but guess not.

Are there any rumors still standing that look like they could have been leaks? I know the games dont release until the end of the year, but If there isn't any that look like leaks i am kinda surprised considering the 3 months of silence. Do you think they are doing a better job on keeping things under wraps or that there just aren't many people exposed to the information yet because of how far away we are from game release?

Are there any rumors still standing that look like they could have been leaks? I know the games dont release until the end of the year, but If there isn't any that look like leaks i am kinda surprised considering the 3 months of silence. Do you think they are doing a better job on keeping things under wraps or that there just aren't many people exposed to the information yet because of how far away we are from game release?

I would like to think that they are doing a better job this time, but it's hard to say now. Maybe things have already leaked and the community has ignored it because we didn't know what it was about.

Last edited:
TPC: You know, we made fans wait long enough. I think it's time to reward their patience with what they've been waiting for.

Staff: You mean we're finally going to talk about Swor-

TPC: A NEW POKEMON RUMBLE GAME!

Staff: .....I don't think that's-

TPC: POKEMON RUMBLE!!!
I can actually imagine this conversation happening irl LOL

Last edited:
When did they call them that? I don't know much of the English dub, but in the Spanish LA dub they were consistently called Leaders.
It was one of the original anime series, I can’t remember which, I think it’s the blimp one. Although that might be a typo in the Dub. If Gym Masters really is a thing, then we’re talking here the Pokemon Master Region, the jewel of the Leagues crown.

It was one of the original anime series, I can’t remember which, I think it’s the blimp one. Although that might be a typo in the Dub.
If they were only called Gym Masters in the dub, wouldn't that be a different language than Japanese? Besides, if the jelly-filled donuts incident is any indication, dubs aren't exactly to the letter on things...

If Gym Masters really is a thing, then we’re talking here the Pokemon Master Region, the jewel of the Leagues crown.
Or just an alternate position?

The implication to me has been that the League is not an international organization, but rather that each region organizes the league in their own fashion. It is not controlled by a central authority. This is evident in Sun and Moon, where a league is established without the trappings of one. (though it is implied that one day, it might become such)

If they were only called Gym Masters in the dub, wouldn't that be a different language than Japanese? Besides, if the jelly-filled donuts incident is any indication, dubs aren't exactly to the letter on things...
The only time I remember the LA Spanish dub being inconsistent is with the city names. First they used the European names, which makes sense since Spanish Red, Blue and Yellow were sold in the region, but afterwards they used the English names or aproximations of them. For example, Violet City was called "Ciudad Violeta" while in the games it is "Ciudad Malva". I think they went back to the European names for the DPPt saga, but I can't remember.

On the other hand, things like the "jelly donuts" situation, the Minnesota Vikings joke, Jessie and James misnaming Pokémon in the first movie and Vincent/Jackson were left the same in the dub.

The only time I remember the LA Spanish dub being inconsistent is with the city names. First they used the European names, which makes sense since Spanish Red, Blue and Yellow were sold in the region, but afterwards they used the English names or aproximations of them. For example, Violet City was called "Ciudad Violeta" while in the games it is "Ciudad Malva". I think they went back to the European names for the DPPt saga, but I can't remember.

On the other hand, things like the "jelly donuts" situation, the Minnesota Vikings joke, Jessie and James misnaming Pokémon in the first movie and Vincent/Jackson were left the same in the dub.
The 4kids dub took a lot of liberties- as that company often does for the sake of "Americanizing" and making it "kid-friendly" because of course it's less confusing for kids if you tell them that a rice ball is a jelly donut even if it looks nothing like one. =I -was very much a confused child when that episode aired... still prefers the 4kids voice actors, though-

But yeah, early anime is not a good reference for terminology because we had unfaithful English translations and nothing had really been set in stone at that point. The series wasn't intended to last past maybe two generations so there was also less incentive for anyone to care whether they called something the wrong thing.

If Gym Masters really is a thing, then we’re talking here the Pokemon Master Region, the jewel of the Leagues crown.
Not really- each region has its own independent league, so Gym Masters would be a cultural difference, not an indication that this region is somehow better than the others.

Because they think people know nothing about the rest of the world. We sort of don't, but that's really our own problem, and no one ever seeks to remedy it.

Localization is funny like that. The onigiri thing always bothered me, but only because I knew what onigiri were. Similar issues were present in all anime being dubbed around that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom