• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We didn't get very many non-freemium spin-offs in gen 7 anyway (just pokken and detective pikachu, and I know LGPE is main series game but people like to argue it's a spin-off. SSB had pokemon in it but wasn't specifically a pokemon game), so I don't know if I expect many in this gen either.
Gen 4 was pretty much the richest when it comes to spin-offs, wasn't it?
So if gen 4 remake confirmed, gen 8 might repeat the "lots of spin-offs" :p

We didn't get very many non-freemium spin-offs in gen 7 anyway (just pokken and detective pikachu, and I know LGPE is main series game but people like to argue it's a spin-off. SSB had pokemon in it but wasn't specifically a pokemon game), so I don't know if I expect many in this gen either.
That is true, last Gen was rather dry for full-fledged spin-offs. =/ I wonder if maybe that was because of the Switch being in development and it being the end of the 3DS's lifespan, though? I know we didn't see a lull like that between the DS and 3DS eras but that transition wasn't quite the same as them dropping handhelds for the Switch. Developers may have seen it as more profitable if they waited to launch on the newer system- and I'm sure that the main series would have wanted to be the first on there before any spin-offs, so there could be a queue waiting to launch once SwSh releases.

Happy 80th!

Hahaha wow, they made Mewtwo's armor look like it was drawn up by an edgy middle schooler and didn't even make it special? It's just the old armor with a more obnoxious look?? And they took away Mewtwo's strength of breaking out himself and just making Giovanni fuck up and break it himself?

Why are you doin' mah mafia husbando like that, Pokemon? Giovanni's not stupid.

Also ew there's a new mobile game?? I deleted Animal Crossing Pocket Camp from my phone earlier this week because I finally reached my breaking point with how money hungry Nintendo is for in-app purchases. Odds of me even considering getting another phone game are drastically low. If y'all gonna make more rumble games make em on a console so I can actually play them. I actually like the rumble series and find it pretty cute but I ain't getting a phone game that pretends you can have as much fun as anyone else is if you're not giving them your money for 1s and 0s on a phone that can be stolen/broken/need replaced easily. Plus the fact if they have anything like the Leaf Tickets in Pocket Camp they'll make you pay 200+ in-game simoleons to unlock special outfit pikachu #124532-08 that gives you an easier time of game stuff.

I mean, I'm sort of glad that the mobile stuff is handling the spin-offs since that frees up space for a main series game on the console.

Hahaha wow, they made Mewtwo's armor look like it was drawn up by an edgy middle schooler and didn't even make it special? It's just the old armor with a more obnoxious look?? And they took away Mewtwo's strength of breaking out himself and just making Giovanni fuck up and break it himself?

Why are you doin' mah mafia husbando like that, Pokemon? Giovanni's not stupid.

Also ew there's a new mobile game?? I deleted Animal Crossing Pocket Camp from my phone earlier this week because I finally reached my breaking point with how money hungry Nintendo is for in-app purchases. Odds of me even considering getting another phone game are drastically low. If y'all gonna make more rumble games make em on a console so I can actually play them. I actually like the rumble series and find it pretty cute but I ain't getting a phone game that pretends you can have as much fun as anyone else is if you're not giving them your money for 1s and 0s on a phone that can be stolen/broken/need replaced easily. Plus the fact if they have anything like the Leaf Tickets in Pocket Camp they'll make you pay 200+ in-game simoleons to unlock special outfit pikachu #124532-08 that gives you an easier time of game stuff.
You know that the last Rumble was made with that mentality, right? ...And it was on the 3DS. Sure, I don't have anything against Rumble, it's just that the last game was made with micro-transactions in mind... Like you said, I'm in for another Rumble, not a freemium one.

Although I would rather wait a bit for one because otherwise they won't include the mythicals and that will mess up with my OCD.

EDIT: What I'm trying to say is... just because it's on console doesn't mean it won't be freemium.

Last edited:
I've been out of touch with rumble games so if I knew that in the past, I've forgotten it. But it still sounds like crap. My opinion was more on freemium and free to play as a concept. Could have probably stated that better though. Was it a physical purchase game or a digital-only game? Because if it's digital only that doesn't surprise me at all...

I've been out of touch with rumble games so if I knew that in the past, I've forgotten it. But it still sounds like crap. My opinion was more on freemium and free to play as a concept. Could have probably stated that better though. Was it a physical purchase game or a digital-only game? Because if it's digital only that doesn't surprise me at all...
It was digital only. It was called Pokémon Rumble World and it only goes up to Gen VI. The freemium aspect comes with the fact that each area has a cooldown before you can visit it again. The earliest area has a relatively low cooldown (30 minutes), but the more advanced the area, it takes more time to recharge (20 hours for the most expensive area). Doesn't help that each area has between 3 and 6 variations that are decided randomly or by expending gems, and since the way you get Pokémon depends on the RNG... Yeah, it was pretty annoying.

EDIT: Oh, and Mega Stones were also worth gems.

It was digital only. It was called Pokémon Rumble World and it only goes up to Gen VI. The freemium aspect comes with the fact that each area has a cooldown before you can visit it again. The earliest area has a relatively low cooldown (30 minutes), but the more advanced the area, it takes more time to recharge (20 hours for the most expensive area). Doesn't help that each area has between 3 and 6 variations that are decided randomly or by expending gems, and since the way you get Pokémon depends on the RNG... Yeah, it was pretty annoying.

EDIT: Oh, and Mega Stones were also worth gems.
I actually played that one and rather enjoyed it, but it does get super slow as you get to those more expensive areas. =/ Not the best game design, because while it was more engaging than Shuffle... you also didn't have to wait forever to progress again in Shuffle. There also wasn't any shinies in it, that I recall, so there was no point even replaying those early areas once you caught everything. I get including microtransactions in a freemium game, but don't make it near impossible to play without them.

GO has the best microtransaction model, I think, because the microtransactions aren't placed to delay the game in any way. It's also perfectly possible to obtain everything you need without paying anything as long as you go out and actively play it, so I appreciate that aspect of it. That may be why the game has been the most successful- it doesn't kill itself by forcing you to pay so people are free to just keep playing and throw money at it whenever they wish. I know I've thrown $10 at it a couple of times and I don't regret it.

I hope any freemium games we get this generation will take an approach to microtransactions more similar to GO's. Or at least take note not to horribly bog down progress in the game for them.

Imagine not getting anything this month and then not showing anything Pokemon related until the last day of E3. The torture.
Oh my gosh, that would be so painful. I think I'm also going to be in the car all day on the last day of e3 so I'm probably not going to be able to see any of it till I get home.

They did a lot of things wrong with Sun and Moon that I don't think they want to do again, but I still find it curious that they didn't give us anything in this month's Coro Coro this time. Granted, as I've noticed, what we would normally get in the May reveal, we already got in February. It's possible that was done on purpose, but as a result, we got beta footage. That's one thing I didn't consider, that since so much time has passed now that we may see something that is more polished than what we did see. I just think it would be wiser for them to make a bigger announcement during E3. However, this brings their normal reveal schedule into question. Will we get more regular reveals from that point forward, or have they changed how the game is revealed to us? It makes no difference to me either way since I got sick of them revealing the entire game before launch. I wasn't going to follow it one way or the other, but if they've come to understand that themselves, I respect that. It's a long held tradition, though, it's highly unlikely they have, and I am talking about something that is supposed to grab the attention of children. Unfortunately, I do not still have my magazines from when I was a kid to tell how games were advertised back then. I don't follow anything else like I do with Pokemon for modern day. All I know is that I was much more involved with a game when I had not seen that much about it.

Perhaps it is time for Pokemon's reveal schedule...to change.

How did/will you guys decide, which game to get or (if you get both, like me) which one will be your main game?
I miss the times of being a kid and picking Sapphire because it's blue and blue is my favourite colour. Now I like blue and red equally, that's a problem lol

They did a lot of things wrong with Sun and Moon that I don't think they want to do again, but I still find it curious that they didn't give us anything in this month's Coro Coro this time.
To be fair on this, CoroCoro didn't actually release any Sun and Moon news in May either. The news we got that month back in 2016 came via official trailer- CoroCoro did release a trailer too that was basically a rehash of what we had already seen plus that notorious glimpse of Rockruff, but the actual issue just promised more news was coming and focused mainly on Volcanion and the Mechanical Marvel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom