• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pokémon Sword and Shield speculation thread (Updated June 5th, 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, if we look at how Nintendo handled past E3 conferences, how TPC always behaved in relation to E3, taking into account the style of the event, and also the number of titles that Nintendo is supposed to focus the attention on there (I mean, both on the conference and on the Direct), I would agree with Oriden (that we will still get something before).

But I also thought that this marketing campaign had to have worked differently than it did so far, so who knows what they are planning. I'm curious to see how it's going to proceed from now on, anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah, but we have to wait. Unless they have a surprise trailer this week, which is very doubtful.
XD You say it's very doubtful but we really have no reason to believe one way or another- after the first announcement, trailers usually get shadow dropped for the rest of the promotional period. We could likely get something any time between now and E3, considering the box mascots haven't been E3 news.

I still don’t think that the Gym Master thing is a typo...
The TPCi are professionals, and their PR team would know at least a little about Pokemon, specially something that has been around in the franchise for 20 years.
And like people mentioned before, why not repost the tweet with the corrections?

And if people are going to answer with “Why hasn’t been anything said about it then?” Here’s your answer:

It is not out of character for GameFreak to maintain radio silence over accidental leaks. Remember the Alola starters? They were revealed at their own time in spite of being leaked.

I’m guessing the some poor PR bloke got confused on what stuff they’re supposed to tweet about right after SwSh reveal, and accidentally tweeted the Gym Masters thing instead of generic stuff.

If it’s a mistake, it’s a pretty strange one to make. It also fits in with the gyms being different again thing which is going on with the stadiums.
Maybe it’s something which ends up being functionally similar to gyms with small alterations in spirit of the trials.

I mean, that's not impossible, you sure can be right. But I find it weird, someone who cares of social medias knowing so much information in advance.

Last edited:
I think it's around 50/50. It's possible that they just got it wrong and Gym Masters was an innocent typo. It's also possible that it means a change or upgrade to the traditional Gym Leader formula.

Personally, because we already know the gyms have been upgraded/changed, I think it makes sense the Gym Leader's title has been changed to Gym Masters as well.

I don't know...the tweet wasn't even from the Pokémon twitter account, but from the Nintendo's account instead. I doubt that at this point any information beyond what we already know (that trailer) has come out of Game Freak (intentionally). Of course, it probably does, but only for few people of great confidence and or totally necessary to the future promotion of the game and or localization etc. Otherwise things would have leaked already.

We would have to believe that Nintendo's social media team in America had the information almost 3 months in advance (since the tweet was from March, and we're almost reaching June). I don't think they leave information hanging around that way (or at least they should not). If Gym Masters turn out to be real at this point, I'll be surprised.

Edit: (...had*...)

Last edited:
I noticed some people saying that TPC talked about how they wish they would've done marketing/reveals differently for SM, and that's true. The thing is - they have made adjustments to address that this time. The main complaint was that they revealed too much information about the game, leaving little to discover and few surprises. So far, it seems like they're trying to keep more secrets and not spoil as much of the game. I guess we'll see after E3 if this is really the case.

There's still a possibility for a random trailer at the end of May or beginning of June, although last time we got an announcement. Also remember that in 2016, Corocoro leaked on June 11th, 3 days before E3, revealing Rockruff and Komala before the gameplay and Yungoos, Grubbin, and Pikipek at E3. This time, Corocoro Comic may leak at about the same time as E3, but could contain different information. The news in Corocoro Ichiban on the 21st could also be more news as well. E3 might be the benchmark for opening the floodgates. It's really impossible to say anything for sure at this point.

What we already knew about Sun and Moon in May 2016
  • Titles
  • Solgaleo and Lunala (speculated to be the names of legendaries, but unconfirmed)
What we learned about Sun and Moon in May 2016
  • Game release dates
  • Alola region name
  • First stage starters and their typings
  • Alterable skin colors
  • Hala as the person who gives player the starter Pokémon
  • Trainer customisation (revealed in trailer through player character with different outfits, not officially stated)
  • New move Leafage
  • Unidentified Pokémon in the trailer
  • The look at the battles with HP bars and visible trainers in the background
We've received gloomy news throughout May in 2016, but we still had much more information than what we have now.

The News Revealed on 2nd June
  • Name of legendaries, how their abilities work
  • QR Codes
  • Region Artwork
Let's hope June will be the month of the news for Sword & Shield.

Right now we know:
Galar's name and it's map.
The starter Pokemon.
The player characters.

I remember when Alola first appeared for SuMO we barely even know what the region looked like or the name of the region until a bit later on. Maybe this time around they'll revealed new Pokemon, box art, legendary Pokemon Mascots, Professor and a gym leader or two?

Right now we know:
Galar's name and it's map.
The starter Pokemon.
The player characters.

I remember when Alola first appeared for SuMO we barely even know what the region looked like or the name of the region until a bit later on. Maybe this time around they'll revealed new Pokemon, box art, legendary Pokemon Mascots, Professor and a gym leader or two?
That's too much to reveal at this point.

It can go in two ways imo

1.we get trailer end may/start june showing characters (rival), legendaries and release date. and have new mons show up in E3 with new features.
2.Big E3 blowout. Showing characters, main legendaries, new features, new mons, release date+box art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom