• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly, I don't get it either. Gengar having Levitate made so much sense because it's a ghost type. Guess they didn't think so. What sucks is all Gengar transferred to Gen VII with Levitate with see it forcefully change.

Frankly, I don't get it either. Gengar having Levitate made so much sense because it's a ghost type. Guess they didn't think so. What sucks is all Gengar transferred to Gen VII with Levitate with see it forcefully change.
Probably partly because of what happened with sky battles- Gengar was the only one with Levitate that got excluded from them, due to its animation. Which could be the other part of why- Gengar's model doesn't levitate.

Probably partly because of what happened with sky battles- Gengar was the only one with Levitate that got excluded from them, due to its animation. Which could be the other part of why- Gengar's model doesn't levitate.
And the ironic part is, Gen VII was the first game you actually see it levitate.

Apart from abilities which in theory prevent pokemon like Gengar to levitate, I think some Pokemon suffer of the third type lack:

- These pokemon are basically always flying without the flying type:
Venomoth/Dustox/Volbeat/Illumise/Vibrava/Flygon/Volcarona/Spritzee/Cutiefly line

- These pokemon are basically always levitating without that ability:
Magnemite line/Gengar/Porygon line/Shedinja/Shuppet/Glalie/Beldum line/Probopass/Munna line/Cottonee/Yamask line/Solosis line/Vanillite line/Frillish line/Klink line/Beehiem line/Litwick line/Flabebe line/Honedge line/Swirlix/Inkay/Klefki/Phantump/Pumpkaboo line/Bounsweet/Confey/Dhelmise

- Dragalge should be part water.

Most of the Legendaries can either fly or levitate or dive but I'm not counting them here.

Last edited:
and you have a lot of Flying-types who's animation shows them being on the ground. It doesn't make sense why we can't EQ them.
Well, there's also the fact this can happen in the games, and it's pretty hard to justify.
dpsM4SZ.jpg

I mean, do you really want to try to make sense in a world in which Double Slap hits more than twice? Because that name is definitely misleading.

I mean, do you really want to try to make sense in a world in which Double Slap hits more than twice? Because that name is definitely misleading.
It's called Roundhouse Slap in Japanese. I wonder why they gave it such a misleading name in the English translation. This isn't the only case of this happening.

To add on to the current conversation, I think it would be interesting to see how a Pokemon with no weakness could be handled. Are there any type combos that could result in no weakness, aside from Electric with Levitate ability?

We don't have anymore. Post-gen-6-type-chart, we no longer have any combination that runs out of weaknesses.

Edit: I still firmly believe in an early January reveal.

I'm think so, too.

Apart from abilities which in theory prevent pokemon like Gengar to levitate, I think some Pokemon suffer of the third type lack:

- These pokemon are basically always flying without the flying type:
Venomoth/Dustox/Volbeat/Illumise/Vibrava/Flygon/Volcarona/Spritzee/Cutiefly line

- These pokemon are basically always levitating without that ability:
Magnemite line/Gengar/Porygon line/Shedinja/Shuppet/Glalie/Beldum line/Probopass/Munna line/Cottonee/Yamask line/Solosis line/Vanillite line/Frillish line/Klink line/Beehiem line/Litwick line/Flabebe line/Honedge line/Swirlix/Inkay/Klefki/Phantump/Pumpkaboo line/Bounsweet/Confey/Dhelmise

- Dragalge should be part water.

Most of the Legendaries can either fly or levitate or dive but I'm not counting them here.

I've already seen a very good suggestion from a fan to solve that...It was something about splitting the abilities into something like those TCG mechanics, the Poké-Bodies and Poké-Powers.

He said that immutable abilities, such as Levitate (after all, the Pokémon will always be levitating), should become Poké-Bodies, and never change between 2 Pokémon of the same species. So, two Magnezone would always have Levitate. The Poké-Power Abilities, would be the ones that could change between 2 equals of the same species. So some Magnezones would have Magnet Pull, while others would have another Poké-Power Ability (analytic, sturdy...)

That would solve most of those problems. Pokémon that float and are not flying type, and neither have the levitate ability, could finally gain it. Pokémon like Lugia and Dragalge, could finally gain a STAB of the water type, with Poké-Body abilities similar to that of Dhelmise (steelworker).

Last edited:
It's called Roundhouse Slap in Japanese. I wonder why they gave it such a misleading name in the English translation. This isn't the only case of this happening.
I wonder if Nob Ogasawara also tried to warn them against that name. He was the one that tried to warn them about Mr. Mime, Splash and the Rage Candy Bar, but every time he was ignored. To summarize what he said:

"What if they introduce gendered Pokémon?" "Yeah, right. Like that would happen".
"What if other Pokémon learn Splash?" "Do you think they would do that?".
"What if they show the Rage Candy Bar in the anime" "There's no chance of that."

And you know how each case ended.

Does anyone think that the past games have given us any hints to the pokemon from Generation 8 or even details of the region?

I am convinced that the suit that Ryuki is wearing is a Pokemon that will appear in generation 8. I feel it is a red dragon Pokemon and Ryuki may even be apart of that region.

Does anyone think that the past games have given us any hints to the pokemon from Generation 8 or even details of the region?

I am convinced that the suit that Ryuki is wearing is a Pokemon that will appear in generation 8. I feel it is a red dragon Pokemon and Ryuki may even be apart of that region.
The only things I have noticed they have hinted in future generations have been Strange Souvenir in Pokémon X/Y and, if you count a "what could have been" situation, Vulpix's Pokédex entry in Gen I. I have not seen anything related to a future game in Gen VII aside from the possible reference to LGPE in USUM.

Also, it may be an unpopular opinion, but I think Ryuki is either a leftover of the time Gen VII was going to have Gyms or a cut Trial Captain that stayed in the game because he was complete already and they didn't want to waste his design.

Regardless of their original plan, I have to wonder why they didn't use Ryuki for the Dragon trial. It would have made more sense than shoehorning him into the Kantonian Gym.

Regardless of their original plan, I have to wonder why they didn't use Ryuki for the Dragon trial. It would have made more sense than shoehorning him into the Kantonian Gym.
Ran out of time, maybe? That's something I have been questioning. Specially since they gave Mina her own Trial, which was something I thought was originally cut, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom