• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're kind of presuming Mega Evolution to involve emotion and dismissing the "physical strength" part of Z-moves, though... it can't be an intentional pattern on GameFreak's part if you're just inputting one and cutting out half of another.

That's true, but it's all I've got. I just find it interesting that the z-ring specifically bothers to mention Physical Strength AND Willpower. One or the other would have done fine. And why do Z moves require those things but mega evolution did not? It only required a "bond"; whatever that means. How do you have a "bond" without emotions? They could have given the same reason for z-moves, but they did not.

That's true, but it's all I've got. I just find it interesting that the z-ring specifically bothers to mention Physical Strength AND Willpower. One or the other would have done fine. And why do Z moves require those things but mega evolution did not? It only required a "bond"; whatever that means. How do you have a "bond" without emotions? They could have given the same reason for z-moves, but they did not.
It's different ways of saying that they use the trainer's strength. Different aspects, maybe, but not fitting any pre-established pattern such as the Lake Guardians' elements.

Mega evolution uses the bond between a pokemon and trainer- the power of friendship and all.

Z-moves use the trainer's physical strength and strength of will- aka all of their strength. Not just their physical strength, not just their mental strength, but both.

I imagine that mega evolution is like how the bond with their human partner helps Digimon digivolve in that franchise- much as it kinda hurts to compare them. XD But a lot of pokemon seem to evolve via the bond with their trainer, so I feel that it's also an extension of the concept of the friendship mechanic.

As for Z-moves, it's really emphasizing that you're helping your pokemon execute a superpowerful move by adding your strength to theirs.

It's different ways of saying that they use the trainer's strength. Different aspects, maybe, but not fitting any pre-established pattern such as the Lake Guardians' elements.

Mega evolution uses the bond between a pokemon and trainer- the power of friendship and all.

Z-moves use the trainer's physical strength and strength of will- aka all of their strength. Not just their physical strength, not just their mental strength, but both.
If we could argue that these two are connected to the Lake Guardians, then what could the third surrounding the theme of knowledge be?

It talks about Power and Strength, but what else? What's a third? If there is one?

If we could argue that these two are connected to the Lake Guardians, then what could the third surrounding the theme of knowledge be?

It talks about Power and Strength, but what else? What's a third?
Honestly, I think it's reaching a bit hard to connect them, so I'm not interested in hypothesizing what this theoretical knowledge-based mechanic may be.

Honestly, I think it's reaching a bit hard to connect them, so I'm not interested in hypothesizing what this theoretical knowledge-based mechanic may be.

Power and Friendship (Emotions) Mega Evolution
Strength and Will (Willpower) Z-Moves
Wisdom and Command (Knowledge) ???

Last edited:
I hope the next games are more attached to tell us a story of the characters and their convictions or to deepen the lore of the legendary poké, and the region...
I would love to know more about the history and myths of the regions of the Pokémon universe

Is easier and doable if the anime advances only a year in the story of Ash or at most leave it more mature as it was in the XY saga

hope has not died yet hahahah
Me,too. I would see XY and XYZ has take in the movie-verse but not in the anime verison,because I think it does makes that there's no Brock and Misty. with him and just Pikachu in "I Choose You" and "Power of Us". I could see the gen 8's anime will take after new Mewtwo movie and at the end of XYZ anime.

I am thinking maybe the new anime will focus on him and Pikachu joining This organization in the new region to protect pokemon from evil team who wants to wipe Pokémon out with using steampunk mechs. I could imagine Selena will tag along to join the organization to meet up with Ash and Pikachu to fight the evil team. I could imagine each gyms will be parts of their headquarters.

Because I would love to see it will be like D. Gray-man, Karneval, and Fullmetal Alchemist if they goes for that route with the gen 8's anime. I think it would be cool idea (like we most has seem in anime in the past).

Last edited:
Me,too. I would see XY and XYZ has take in the movie-verse but not in the anime verison,because I think it does makes that there's no Brock and Misty. with him and just Pikachu in "I Choose You" and "Power of Us". I could see the gen 8's anime will be a follow-up to new Mewtwo movie and X/Y anime.
Why would the Gen 8 anime follow up the Mewtwo movie and X/Y anime? Sun and Moon anime follows X/Y.

I also don't think the anime will follow the movie. Knowing how predictable the anime is, they will continue the next region and they will give Ash partners based on a gym leader and/or the female protagonist. If someone returns, it will only for a few episodes and they will part ways again (sorry, Serena fans).

If we break down the kanji literally, the text is basically saying that it requires power of the soul and power of the body. Like the English saying about "mind and body". I think it is trying to emphasize the dual nature of Z-moves; it's not just the "physical" dance you have to do to activate it, but a power has to come from the soul too. Honestly; reading the rest of your post, I don't even feel like we are really disagreeing though. I just think its more significant that they chose different reasons.

I'll admit, though. I'm holding back on why I think it is significant. I came to this conclusion from a completely different place, but I don't want to discuss those reasons at this time since they are a bit off topic.

Edit: grammar

Last edited:
So we've got Mega Evolution, then we've got Z-Moves. What could be next down the line?

Perhaps something similar to Ash-Greninja? Nah that's Evolution.

XD Well it was purely for the anime, which gave it that name, so it's not like there was anything else to call it.
And yet in the demo for Pokemon Sun and Moon, you can get Ash's Graninja that becomes Ash-Graninja of which you can transfer into Pokemon Bank and into the main games of Gen 7. I still have him. He becomes Ash-Greninja after you defeat the first Pokemon in a more than one Pokemon battle.

Last edited:
I also don't think the anime will follow the movie. Knowing how predictable the anime is, they will continue the next region and they will give Ash partners based on a gym leader and/or the female protagonist. If someone returns, it will only for a few episodes and they will part ways again (sorry, Serena fans).
I think Sun and Moon will be uncanon if it will end with Ash is married with Misty and they have kids at the end of Sun and moon anime.

I think Sun and Moon will be uncanon if it will end with Ash is married with Misty and they have kids at the end of Sun and moon anime.
I don't that's likely at all. Also, the whole "Ash marries with Misty" is fanon. Specially since I have not seen official sources that that was the ending. Also, the adult Misty that appeared in that M1 trailer had kids with purple hair.

If we break down the kanji literally, the text is basically saying that it requires power of the soul and power of the body. Like the English saying about "mind and body". I think it is trying to emphasize the dual nature of Z-moves; it's not just the "physical" dance you have to do to activate it, but a power has to come from the soul too. Honestly; reading you the rest of your post, I don't even feel like we are really disagreeing though. I just think its more significant that they chose different reasons.

I'll admit, though. I'm holding back on why I think it is significant. I came to this conclusion from a completely different place, but I don't want to discuss those reasons at this time since they are a bit off topic.
Thought of a bit I wanted to add on here, because I think we are basically agreeing on this in a way but...

I believe Z-moves specify using the trainer's physical and mental strength because it is being used up at once to form one superpowered attack, while Mega Evolution continually draws power from the bond between trainer and pokemon in order to maintain the mega evolved state. So the bond for mega evolution is important because it's a continual source of power, like a battery.

And yet in the demo for Pokemon Sun and Moon, you can get Ash's Graninja that becomes Ash-Graninja of which you can transfer into Pokemon Bank and into the main games of Gen 7. I still have him.
Yes, it's called cross-promotional material. I have it too.

Not going to happen because Ash is 10 years old (still).

I don't that's likely at all. Also, the whole "Ash marries with Misty" is fanon. Specially since I have not seen official sources that that was the ending. Also, the adult Misty that appeared in that M1 trailer had kids with purple hair.
I only heard the original anime's original idea of how to end the series, only to be scrapped and have what we have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom