• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, look at what they did with Ruby and Sapphire's remakes?

If it runs on the same engine as Gen 8, and if they are released in Gen 8 then it surely will, then they will upgrade them, no question about it. The only reason to keep the linear maps with LGPE was for nostalgia's sake- judging by how they were trying to sell it at E3, the intention was for older players to share their childhood memories with younger players, so they made the maps familiar and even kept a lot of the old dialogue.

Yeah I agree with this. What about the last line that I added in?

I'm not sure what you're asking with that. D=
Because this Gen 8 Pokemon game is releasing before the Diamond & Pearl remakes, does that mean it won't contain all these new mechanics people are hoping for, and it won't be 'BOTW tier'? Are they going to release this game as a casual one, so that the engine can be used for Diamond and Pearl remakes too, and then after those are released, GameFreak will start with a BOTW Tier Pokemon game.

Guys, Do you think Masuda had stepped down because he has thought Pokémon should be kid-friendly than being dark?
Do you think the main reason why he did Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee as his last game to direct because he don't like Gen 8 being very dark?

I have a feeling that main reason why he has stepped down.

https://i.********/vp/1547306982797.jpg
You know as much as I would like to argue that there's no chance they'd design a doplhin starter cause they cause they can't move on land, I remember they did make a snake with arms and legs

Evolution of snakes obviously, as others have mentioned. Serperior still having vestigial limbs like real life constrictors or extinct species was pretty on point. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing a cetacean equivalent. Please just let me have my flipper Pokemon Game Freak.

And remember my dear little fire lamb this sacred passage: FOUR LEGS GOOOOOD! TWO LEGS BAAAAAAD!

That website/blog legitamately gave me cancer.

Because this Gen 8 Pokemon game is releasing before the Diamond & Pearl remakes, does that mean it won't contain all these new mechanics people are hoping for, and it won't be 'BOTW tier'? Are they going to release this game as a casual one, so that the engine can be used for Diamond and Pearl remakes too, and then after those are released, GameFreak will start with a BOTW Tier Pokemon game.
Nah- I don't know why you would think that. ORAS released after X/Y and used the same engine as X/Y. So if Diamond and Pearl remakes are released in Gen 8, they should use the same engine as Gen 8- they won't hold Gen 8 back.

Guys, Do you think Masuda had stepped down because he has thought Pokémon should be kid-friendly than being dark?
Do you think the main reason why he did Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee as his last game to direct because he don't like Gen 8 being very dark?
No, I don't think that Pokemon will ever be a dark series- Masuda or no Masuda.

This is why Masuda is stepping down-
"I was the one who worked on the base game concept document for Pokemon Go, and even in that original concept, I had the idea of introducing new Pokemon through the mobile game," said Masuda. "I wanted to realize that goal by creating games that could connect with Pokemon Go and feel somewhat similar to it without feeling like we were copying it. Given my involvement in Pokemon Go's development, I felt that I was probably the best person to direct these games.

"It was also interesting to work with Nintendo Switch. There's a lot of technology packed into the hardware that we were all trying to discover at Game Freak. For example, developing the Poke Ball Plus and working with Bluetooth to facilitate the connection with Pokemon Go were both very interesting things that I had a chance to work on as the director this time.

"But at the same time, it's important to have the younger generation at Game Freak take over the development of Pokemon as a series. I do believe this will probably be, in terms of the main Pokemon RPGs, the last time that I work as the director."

Pokemon Let's Go Is 'Probably' the Last Pokemon Game Junichi Masuda Will Direct - IGN

Last edited:
Nah- I don't know why you would think that. ORAS released after X/Y and used the same engine as X/Y. So if Diamond and Pearl remakes are released in Gen 8, they should use the same engine as Gen 8- they won't hold Gen 8 back.

No, I don't think that Pokemon will ever be a dark series- Masuda or no Masuda.

But X/Y engine didn't really have much mechanics that made ORAS very different to Ruby and Sapphire? Idk I can't really remember. The only thing I can think of aside graphics is Eon flute and the Legendary transformations. If this Switch game has a more open world, any gym order, (if it had those features) wouldn't that change the original Diamond & Pearl story?

But X/Y engine didn't really have much mechanics that made ORAS very different to Ruby and Sapphire? Idk I can't really remember. The only thing I can think of aside graphics is Eon flute and the Legendary transformations. If this Switch game has a more open world, any gym order, (if it had those features) wouldn't that change the original Diamond & Pearl story?
They introduced 3D to the series and added Mega Evolution... also added a lot of things to ORAS such as the Mirage spots and soaring on the Mega Latis.

It's not likely that Gen 8 will be BOTW levels of open, honestly, but it may be a BOTW level of an upgrade for the series- meaning just as impressive, but not in the same ways that BOTW is. It could possibly be more open, but they would just have to design Sinnoh to be more open. XD I imagine if they did let you challenge gyms in any order in the new region (and I don't see that happening yet) then it would probably be explained as part of the region's culture somehow and D/P wouldn't have it. Anything else, if it's similar to Mega Evolution or Z-moves, could easily be imported to Sinnoh otherwise.

Remakes totally aren't gonna block us from getting upgrades in any new Gen. XD

I was wondering what would happen to the Diamond & Pearl remakes IF the Pokemon game this year ends up being really advanced in gameplay and graphics. For example: following/rideable Pokemon, rotatable camera, walking NPCS?, a bit more open world and less linear, overworld Pokemon etc.

Would Gamefreak add all these new mechanics to the upcoming remakes of Diamond and Pearl, whenever that may be, or would they stay true to the originals and go back to a traditional style e.g. fixed bird's eye view, fully linear, no overworld Pokemon. I personally think they would use the new mechanics as it would be like a step backwards for players but I'm not 100%.

Also, this new Pokemon game being released before the Diamond and Pearl remakes, does that indicate that Gen 8 won't be the year of improved mechanics, but instead they will do that with the Pokemon game released after Diamond & Pearl remakes?
D/P remakes will run on the same engine of Gen8, that's for sure. What you can easly expect is Sinnoh to remain exactly the same as it was. Let me be clear, if ridable pokemon will be in gen 8 in the same way they were in let's go, then it's possible they will end up being in the future remakes too. The same can be said for the new big mechanic, like mega evolution was included in oras, and maybe a little part of the plot may be changed like they did with primal reversion. What will not change is the region itself. Gf is litterally obsessed with nostalgia. Look what they did in let's go games....they made some pokemon ridable but in a map that was litterally too small for that feature (riding onix was just a nightmare).
So D/P remakes will have: new big mechanic/new graphics/old map/maybe some new minor mechanics too/a lot of nostalgia and lack of some gen8 features because of it (still looking at you, customization in oras)

D/P remakes will run on the same engine of Gen8, that's for sure. What you can easly expect is Sinnoh to remain exactly the same as it was. Let me be clear, if ridable pokemon will be in gen 8 in the same way they were in let's go, then it's possible they will end up being in the future remakes too. The same can be said for the new big mechanic, like mega evolution was included in oras, and maybe a little part of the plot may be changed like they did with primal reversion. What will not change is the region itself. Gf is litterally obsessed with nostalgia. Look what they did in let's go games....they made some pokemon ridable but in a map that was litterally too small for that feature (riding onix was just a nightmare).
So D/P remakes will have: new big mechanic/new graphics/old map/maybe some new minor mechanics too/a lot of nostalgia and lack of some gen8 features because of it
I find it interesting what you brought up about riding Onix being a nightmare- it could be an indication that the riding feature was not really intended for LGPE.

I find it interesting what you brought up about riding Onix being a nightmare- it could be an indication that the riding feature was not really intended for LGPE.
Maybe I'm too old but after 22 years of pokemon I only see GF obsession for nostalgia and laziness XD

Either way, I hope riding Pokemon is around when the Gen 4 remakes happen, I seriously do not want to give up two spots on my team just to fully explore the region. So how about treating it like it was treated in Gen 7 and make it so that you have to get to a certain area or accomplish something in-game to get a ride-able Pokemon? That way, it would still be a challenge for the first time, but when only needing to pass through, it makes it quick and convenient.

Maybe I'm too old but after 22 years of pokemon I only see GF obsession for nostalgia and laziness XD
Well, we're also at a point where there was a lot of reason for the nostalgia- Gen 7 was celebrating an anniversary, so nostalgia there. LGPE was trying to bring together new and old players, so nostalgia there for the latter group.

I just feel like it's possible that the riding mechanic may have been off for LGPE because it was intended for a bigger map...? Possibly. D= Fingers crossed a bit.

I was wondering what would happen to the Diamond & Pearl remakes IF the Pokemon game this year ends up being really advanced in gameplay and graphics. For example: following/rideable Pokemon, rotatable camera, walking NPCS?, a bit more open world and less linear, overworld Pokemon etc.

Would Gamefreak add all these new mechanics to the upcoming remakes of Diamond and Pearl, whenever that may be, or would they stay true to the originals and go back to a traditional style e.g. fixed bird's eye view, fully linear, no overworld Pokemon. I personally think they would use the new mechanics as it would be like a step backwards for players but I'm not 100%.

Also, this new Pokemon game being released before the Diamond and Pearl remakes, does that indicate that Gen 8 won't be the year of improved mechanics, but instead they will do that with the Pokemon game released after Diamond & Pearl remakes?

I think several of the features would transfer over to potential D/P remakes, just like improvements from RS were also in FRLG, D/P/Pt into HGSS, and XY into ORAS. I think it's only natural that a remake would be remade to modern standards, and it would be awkward/jarring for both devs and players alike to jump ahread for a new region/setting but then jump back, but not quite as far back as the previous gen, for a remake. It only makes sense for a remake (with new features like ORAS) to be of the same standard, if not higher, than the previous games in the generation.

Last edited:
Well, we're also at a point where there was a lot of reason for the nostalgia- Gen 7 was celebrating an anniversary, so nostalgia there. LGPE was trying to bring together new and old players, so nostalgia there for the latter group.

I just feel like it's possible that the riding mechanic may have been off for LGPE because it was intended for a bigger map...? Possibly. D= Fingers crossed a bit.
I just can't stand the fact that they made the first game for switch a copy-paste of pokemon yellow. I mean, I accept the remake (even if it's a lazy idea) but a 1:1 remake in 2018 for the first pokemon on console is not good at all. Yellow is 20 years old now, how on earth can they still think that a 20 years old game may still be enough for a player in 2018?

I just can't stand the fact that they made the first game for switch a copy-paste of pokemon yellow. I mean, I accept the remake (even if it's a lazy idea) but a 1:1 remake in 2018 for the first pokemon on console is not good at all. Yellow is 20 years old now, how on earth can they still think that a 20 years old game may still be enough for a player in 2018?
8D Because nostalgia and sharing your childhood with your kids and all that good sappy stuff that sounds good in a sales pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom