• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since BW I feel like all the games became easier and easier, so I have to agree with him. The only challenge I ever felt since then was seriously only some SM NPC's in Poni, Necrozma in USUM and Ghetsis. There are some "challenging gyms in BW", but Gen 3 and 4 gyms and more Gen 2 gyms were all as much or more difficult.

I find gen 1 and 2 have fairly easy gyms with Whitney being the only exception...though nowadays I don't even really have an issue with her.

LGPE was stupidly easy until I got to the end game then it gets much harder.

At the difficulty discussion: it would be so cool if Switch Pokemon allowed you to choose your difficulty before playing (maybe even allowing you to adjust the difficulty at anytime on the menu). It's a feature I really hope to see come back from BW because it feels like a good middleground: your kid players who dont want to grind so much can play on easy or normal while your nostalgic older playerbase can get their challenge in.

LGPE is super easy because it's super easy to grind your levels while shiny hunting lmao. I beat Red without even really giving it my best effort:( I wish strong trainers had level 100s

With a powerful system like the Switch I also hope they dont hold back on content. I kind of hope it has a Pokemon XD/Collosseum vibe to it: very amazing games which rich plot.

If they hold back content for the Switch game, then I can say that their idea of Pokemon is a terrible idea, I already thought making Pokemon mobile-based was already the worst mindset of all time for Pokemon, but holding back content for a console-based Pokemon game will make this idea even worse. Like, what's wrong with allowing a player spending a lot of time in a monster collecting RPG for once?

Mhm this is kind of my point though. I don’t understand the argument against an entire new Pokédex because all people ever say is ‘I didn’t like the whole Unova Dex’ - that’s not really a valid argument.

The quantity =/= quality debate can be applied to literally every regional Dex because no one likes every single Pokémon in a Pokédex. My least favourite regional Dex, for example, by far, is Sinnoh. Each to their own. But since a brand new fresh Pokédex would by its very definition contain ZERO Unova Pokémon, the ‘Unova Pokémon suck’ argument isnt really a valid one moving forward. You know?

The issue is whether the region contains a good amount of old pokemon- unlike Unova- and the preference for some would be yes, include old pokemon so there is a safety net available in case the new dex is unappealing like Unova's was.

We just want some pokemon we like available so we can play the game without hating our pokemon. Because it's not fun when you hate your pokemon.

I will agree that LGP/E are easy, but ONLY if you abuse the Candy System.

With that aside, what I want from Gen 8 is exploration. I didn't like how Sun Moon, Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon practically drags you around with little to no exploration. Also, the constant cutscenes. Felt like there was one every five minutes.

I also wouldn't mind an open world Pokemon game. Maybe not to the scale of Breath of the Wild.

Last edited:
Mhm this is kind of my point though. I don’t understand the argument against an entire new Pokédex because all people ever say is ‘I didn’t like the whole Unova Dex’ - that’s not really a valid argument.

The quantity =/= quality debate can be applied to literally every regional Dex because no one likes every single Pokémon in a Pokédex. My least favourite regional Dex, for example, by far, is Sinnoh. Each to their own. But since a brand new fresh Pokédex would by its very definition contain ZERO Unova Pokémon, the ‘Unova Pokémon suck’ argument isnt really a valid one moving forward. You know?

Is not the best argument but it is the only example of a "full new Pokémon only dex" we have had (ignoring Kanto, obviously).
The thing most people like about Pokémon is that, aside of everything else, you can also do choices. You can choose what Pokémon you want in your team — if you're forced to only a determined set of Pokémon that you may not like, well, that sucks.

Then there's stuff like Pokémon distribution. 150~ Pokémon only means you will probably only find 3 o 4 Pokémon per router (being generous), which also sucks. Stuff like Alola Route 1, where iirc you could catch 11 different Pokémon, comes to mind because you have a lot of choices you can do very early on.
I'm not a fan of several routes with practically the same Mon distribution and battling trainers with literally the same Pokémon or the evolutions of that very same Pokémon all over and over again until I win the Pokémon League.

So, yeah, is not about "I didn't like Unova Pokédex" is more about choices and diversity; things that, unless Game Freak creates 300 new Pokémon (which is unlikely), you can't have in a 150~ only environment.

So I was going to post this text wall on Era, but thought they might mind and hate this, so I"ll post this here to spark some unique discussion, so I hope no one minds or gets angry or etc. so here goes:

What IF Gen 8 is a comprehensive reboot of Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness to make them and its concept canon. In a sense, it could work out for them as the evil teams, most of the region, and plot is formed already. I even went with the idea to make this list of what Game Freak could do/add to these things to make it fun too:

1. Rebuild Orre as a proper region with routes, more towns and cities, and maybe more areas to explore (like a mountain area with routes for Mt. Battle and Realgam Tower, a Desert area with routes for Phenac City and Outskirt Stand, and even a coastal area with routes and grass for Gateon Port, the professor's lab, and maybe more areas to explore like caves, surf areas, a snow area, and maybe even a larger explorable city like the ones seen in Dragon Quest XI wishful thinking). Also make the plot a comprehensive combination of the two games.

2. The obvious thing they can do is make the Colosseum of those games as the proper gyms. You face them the first time and get a ribbon saying you beat it. Collect all 8 Colosseum Ribbons and enter the famous Orre Colosseum to face the Orre Colosseum Champion? Also it would mean that there would be a need to have more Colosseum's, but that wouldn't be too bad of an idea. Also just a hunch, since in Colosseum the Realgam Tower Colosseum was made by the evil team, they could make it like "OH? A new Colosseum is being made, that odd, but why?" and make it like the Cipher wants to stop the Orre Colosseum or something.

3. Add new Pokemon to make the region more interesting (kinda obvious). BUT, they also can use the Let's Go model of wild Pokemon encounters to flush them out for realism. Also we can use the Bike/Scooter as a fast travel method, or ride Pokemon for other areas. Remember how in XD: Gale of Darkness we got stuck in sand so we got a new hover scooter for it.

4. I know everyone hates Gen 1, but this would be a nice call back. We all know you catch shadow Pokemon, what if we have to capture 151 Shadow Pokemon. But we don't get to keep them, as they were stolen, just snag them back, and try to purify them. You then go on a quest to return them to the original trainers and get a Pokemon with a perk (HA or something), or a special rare item as a gift.

5. This idea I had is ALSO controversial, but hey let's try. In XD: Gale of Darkness, you start out with an Eevee and can evolve it into any of its current (5 as of Gen 3 then) eeveelutions. What if as a call back to Let's Go, and a way to entice Go players and Let's Go players to play the games, you get an Partner Eevee or Partner Pikachu in the games as a optional starter if you had the Let's Go games? Like I said, it would make a nice call back to XD: Gale of Darkness.

6. Last controversial thing, but why not make Shadow Mewtwo from Pokken canon in the main games, as well as Shadow Lugia from XD, and make them the box mascots of each version? I know they are past gen Pokemon, one being Gen 1 from a spin-off everyone here may not like (and is in a way unrelated to the Colossuem/XD series), but they could help add to the story if this were to ever be a thing, and it would be nice as a major final boss.

7. I always found it odd that Shadow Pokemon existed, but there was never a "Shadow" type. Sure it could have been made temporary as the Pokemon remained as a Shadow Pokemon, but it would have been cool to say like "Oh we invented this evil type called "Shadow" to make Shadow Pokemon". Would make the game pretty dark but cool in a way.

So yeah, sorry for the text wall, but I would love an opinion on this silly idea. Hope all don't mind this Cheers!

So I was going to post this text wall on Era, but thought they might mind and hate this, so I"ll post this here to spark some unique discussion, so I hope no one minds or gets angry or etc. so here goes:

What IF Gen 8 is a comprehensive reboot of Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness to make them and its concept canon. In a sense, it could work out for them as the evil teams, most of the region, and plot is formed already. I even went with the idea to make this list of what Game Freak could do/add to these things to make it fun too:

1. Rebuild Orre as a proper region with routes, more towns and cities, and maybe more areas to explore (like a mountain area with routes for Mt. Battle and Realgam Tower, a Desert area with routes for Phenac City and Outskirt Stand, and even a coastal area with routes and grass for Gateon Port, the professor's lab, and maybe more areas to explore like caves, surf areas, a snow area, and maybe even a larger explorable city like the ones seen in Dragon Quest XI wishful thinking). Also make the plot a comprehensive combination of the two games.

2. The obvious thing they can do is make the Colosseum of those games as the proper gyms. You face them the first time and get a ribbon saying you beat it. Collect all 8 Colosseum Ribbons and enter the famous Orre Colosseum to face the Orre Colosseum Champion? Also it would mean that there would be a need to have more Colosseum's, but that wouldn't be too bad of an idea. Also just a hunch, since in Colosseum the Realgam Tower Colosseum was made by the evil team, they could make it like "OH? A new Colosseum is being made, that odd, but why?" and make it like the Cipher wants to stop the Orre Colosseum or something.

3. Add new Pokemon to make the region more interesting (kinda obvious). BUT, they also can use the Let's Go model of wild Pokemon encounters to flush them out for realism. Also we can use the Bike/Scooter as a fast travel method, or ride Pokemon for other areas. Remember how in XD: Gale of Darkness we got stuck in sand so we got a new hover scooter for it.

4. I know everyone hates Gen 1, but this would be a nice call back. We all know you catch shadow Pokemon, what if we have to capture 151 Shadow Pokemon. But we don't get to keep them, as they were stolen, just snag them back, and try to purify them. You then go on a quest to return them to the original trainers and get a Pokemon with a perk (HA or something), or a special rare item as a gift.

5. This idea I had is ALSO controversial, but hey let's try. In XD: Gale of Darkness, you start out with an Eevee and can evolve it into any of its current (5 as of Gen 3 then) eeveelutions. What if as a call back to Let's Go, and a way to entice Go players and Let's Go players to play the games, you get an Partner Eevee or Partner Pikachu in the games as a optional starter if you had the Let's Go games? Like I said, it would make a nice call back to XD: Gale of Darkness.

6. Last controversial thing, but why not make Shadow Mewtwo from Pokken canon in the main games, as well as Shadow Lugia from XD, and make them the box mascots of each version? I know they are past gen Pokemon, one being Gen 1 from a spin-off everyone here may not like (and is in a way unrelated to the Colossuem/XD series), but they could help add to the story if this were to ever be a thing, and it would be nice as a major final boss.

7. I always found it odd that Shadow Pokemon existed, but there was never a "Shadow" type. Sure it could have been made temporary as the Pokemon remained as a Shadow Pokemon, but it would have been cool to say like "Oh we invented this evil type called "Shadow" to make Shadow Pokemon". Would make the game pretty dark but cool in a way.

So yeah, sorry for the text wall, but I would love an opinion on this silly idea. Hope all don't mind this Cheers!
They can't do that. Genius Sonority has the rights to everything relating to Colosseum and XD.

They can't do that. Genius Sonority has the rights to everything relating to Colosseum and XD.
Do you have a source for that? They were just the developer of the games. Nintendo/TPC are the actual publishers and most likely the ones who own all the rights to the games.

With that being said, I don’t see an Orre game happening again.

I don't see anything related to the Orre games happen again, it feels like one of the games in which something we want from it would return, but won't. For me, I loved Pokemon Battle Revolution's soundtrack, but I can accept that the game and likely its music are not coming back as there's no need for the Stadium-like games anymore.

Do you have a source for that? They were just the developer of the games. Nintendo/TPC are the actual publishers and most likely the ones who own all the rights to the games.

With that being said, I don’t see an Orre game happening again.
I'm not too sure about if Genius Sonority has the rights to it or not, but I would agree with Icy that since its using the Pokemon name, that the majority of the iP name goes to TPC. But as that iP goes, what RilyXY is stating can ALSO be true that Genius Sonority would need to give permission to Game Freak to utilize their game as a source of this, since they were the original developers of series, and would do an official hand-off for another dev to take charge of this subset of an existing iP (only example I can give is Sucker Punch games giving their iP concept of Sly Cooper to other devs to build off of it, hence we got Thieves in Time).

But as its all said, I do see it as highly impossible, but hey, its a nice conversation piece, and they were good games in their own right. Cheers ;)

I don't see anything related to the Orre games happen again, it feels like one of the games in which something we want from it would return, but won't. For me, I loved Pokemon Battle Revolution's soundtrack, but I can accept that the game and likely its music are not coming back as there's no need for the Stadium-like games anymore.
Well, Battle Revolution also had the problems of having slow battles and being impossible to beat if you don't have DP, so GF killed the series by their mistakes. On the other hand, I do agree that the soundtrack was great and I still have the first colosseum music in my head.

I'm not too sure about if Genius Sonority has the rights to it or not, but I would agree with Icy that since its using the Pokemon name, that the majority of the iP name goes to TPC. But as that iP goes, what RilyXY is stating can ALSO be true that Genius Sonority would need to give permission to Game Freak to utilize their game as a source of this, since they were the original developers of series, and would do an official hand-off for another dev to take charge of this subset of an existing iP (only example I can give is Sucker Punch games giving their iP concept of Sly Cooper to other devs to build off of it, hence we got Thieves in Time).

But as its all said, I do see it as highly impossible, but hey, its a nice conversation piece, and they were good games in their own right. Cheers ;)
Actually, all of it goes to TPC, it's just a matter of which part of TPC does it go to- GameFreak, Nintendo or Creatures. XD

Hard to tell how the licensing works but best I can tell, Nintendo does own the rights to Colosseum and XD. But that said, I can't see GameFreak wanting to develop a remake of a game that wasn't theirs to begin with. They have their own ideas to use and no attachment to that one- excluding James Turner who is just an artist, not a developer.

I dont think I'd like to see Orre return. I mean yeah, it and the ranger regions are real and part of the Pokeverse, but there isn't anything to me that screams "let's have a main Pokemon game here".

That and they have flat out refused anything to do with those games in recent years. So we wont see them again even for emulation purposes. Not even Gamefreak seem keen on those returning.

Well, Battle Revolution also had the problems of having slow battles and being impossible to beat if you don't have DP, so GF killed the series by their mistakes. On the other hand, I do agree that the soundtrack was great and I still have the first colosseum music in my head.

Nah thats not true honestly. I did a playthrough a while back and without any DS support. After you do the first round of battles, you unlock to have every other pokemon by rental by beating trainiers in the rotation colosseum, you beat someone and you can claim that pokemon as yours. Best thing about this game is that it had a good AI, something Pokemon Stadium and the core series dont have at all.

I actually preferred using rental pokemon because the enemy team scaled to your highest level pokemon; meaning imported pokemon had to be roughly the same level. This wasn't easy for me because I had a couple level 80 pokemon and the rest were in the 50s. Of course, I might have been doing something wrong.

That and they have flat out refused anything to do with those games in recent years. So we wont see them again even for emulation purposes. Not even Gamefreak seem keen on those returning.
Doesn't help that Genius Sonority apparently downsized years ago and currently only has around 20 people on staff, so they don't have the manpower to remake those games even if they wanted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom