• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm ohkay with my character always smiling and I like that they changed that up for LGPE. I too really want to have protagonists that are more ambiguous for their ages like they Gen V and VI characters. Gen VII's were all too young. I get that a lot of trainers start their journeys at 10 or 11 but still. I'm 24.

What gives me hope for these titles is that GF clearly addressed them to "hardcore fans". So I want to believe these will be two mature titles that take their time: no more stupid childish mini-games; no more lack of content because kids have less time to play; no more infinite tutorials.
Give me a mature plot, a more mature main character, a rival that can be called like that...a mature game. Pokemon is 23yo, it's about time.

Idk what the Switch has, but I didn't like being forced to use the Circle Pad in SM, it tires my finger (and I think my Pad isn't working great). You can guess how Mantine Surf goes for me.
I also don't like using the motion sensors or the Circle Pad in Ultra Warp Ride.

In speaking about features that need to be added, how about letting us take control of the camera? There's so much potential in making beautiful towns and cities without having every single building facing the same exact way, Sun and Moon as well as the Ultra games had a step in the right direction in terms of not having every single building face toward, or have its side doors visible to the player. This would make it more realistic as well.

Especially if one of those gimmicks with the gyro controls ends up like the puzzles in BotW shrines where you gotta twist the controller/switch at odd angels to get things where they need to go. I can't even do a lot of those with the switch undocked because it requires me to basically flip the controller upside down where I wouldn't even be able to see the screen if I was playing in undocked mode.
Something to maybe help out here: the switch has that little kickstand on the back so you can use it like a screen while undocked. Those puzzles are a lot easier (to me, at least) if you put the screen on the kickstand and take the joycons off. The gyro controls are tied to the right joycon (or the left, not sure at the moment, but only one of them matters), and you can spin the one joycon all around and solve those puzzles much faster and without losing your screen. Or trying to play upside down. Or almost dropping the whole Switch. It's still not the best design, though, and I hope that if Gen 8 makes use of this function they make it easier to use so we don't have to disconnect the joycons just to complete a puzzle.
In speaking about features that need to be added, how about letting us take control of the camera? There's so much potential in making beautiful towns and cities without having every single building facing the same exact way, Sun and Moon as well as the Ultra games had a step in the right direction in terms of not having every single building face toward, or have its side doors visible to the player. This would make it more realistic as well.
I'm all for camera control. This might sound silly, but it's one of my favorite aspects of console games, and a feature I wish was in more hand-held games as well. It just makes everything feel really alive to me, and it's a cool way to hide secrets.

Idk what the Switch has, but I didn't like being forced to use the Circle Pad in SM, it tires my finger (and I think my Pad isn't working great). You can guess how Mantine Surf goes for me.
I also don't like using the motion sensors or the Circle Pad in Ultra Warp Ride.

The Switch has a joystick (so similar to the circle pad, but it is much easier to move around a lot. And at least in my experience is more comfortable than the 3DS circle pad). There is also a D-Pad, but at least on the joycons it looks similar to that of the A B Y X buttons on it. On the pro-controller the D-Pad is the same as it is on the 3DS. If you're playing in handheld mode the Switch has a little more weight to it that will be an adjustment from the 3DS to the Switch, but once you do get used to it it's really nice.

I hope that whatever controls we get for the Gen 8 games, I want it to work well with all controllers. I want to be able to play with my pro-controller. The pro controller is the most comfortable controller I have ever owned. Not being able to use it for LGPE was disappointing to say the least (especially since it is equipped with motion controls, and honestly could probably easily do what the Switch can in handheld mode (you basically tilt around the switch a bit and then just press A to throw the Pokeball). I want to be able to play these games in the most comfortable way, sitting on my couch or on my bed with my switch docked and connected to the TV, lying down or sitting comfortably with my pro controller in hand.

Yes, I can attest to the Switch being a much more comfortable portable system. I remember how much playing Mario Kart 7 on the 3DS cramped me up, but I could play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the Switch for long amounts of time and had no problems at all.
That's something I have been wondering about the Switch was how comfortable it was to play. Still don't own one yet, but I look forward to not cramping. =)

I just hope we more have a bit older looking protagonists of which the ages are kind of ambiguous due to their designs like Hilda/Hilbert and Calem/Serena.

Having a 10/11-years old as your character as a 20-years old guy feels weird since it's supposed to be a representstion of yourself.

Then again we really shouldnt be playing anyway lol We are no longer the target audience. But we should take whatever we get. I'd never expect our character to have facial hair lol

Then again we really shouldnt be playing anyway lol We are no longer the target audience. But we should take whatever we get.
XD If we're not part of the target audience, why do they go for so much nostalgia appeal?

Target audience also doesn't mean excluding the rest of your audience- and aiming for a larger demographic makes more sense from a marketing standpoint.

What gives me hope for these titles is that GF clearly addressed them to "hardcore fans". So I want to believe these will be two mature titles that take their time: no more stupid childish mini-games; no more lack of content because kids have less time to play; no more infinite tutorials.
Give me a mature plot, a more mature main character, a rival that can be called like that...a mature game. Pokemon is 23yo, it's about time.

It would be nice to have a proper Rival for once. It's still weird we never have.

XD If we're not part of the target audience, why do they go for so much nostalgia appeal?

Target audience also doesn't mean excluding the rest of your audience- and aiming for a larger demographic makes more sense from a marketing standpoint.

This is somewhat true, but while the story does involve young children and its based around the typical you've reached x age mark,you still live with your mother, take this starter and since i'm giving you said starter, you have to complete this dex. I'm not expecting our avatars to be adult and have facial hair and tattoos lol. They could get away with this by changing the story formula mind you.

Last edited:
This is somewhat true, but while the story does involve young children and its based around the typical you've reached x age mark,you still live with your mother, take this starter and since i'm giving you said starter, you have to complete this dex. I'm not expecting our avatars to be adult and have facial hair and tattoos lol. They could get away with this by changing the story formula mind you.
It's really what they should do is adapt the games to acknowledge the varying ages of their playerbase. I don't expect tattoos but I don't think there would be anything wrong with giving options for adults with facial hair- what does it affect really? I mean you're already a kid going off and adventuring an entire region by yourself with dangerous gangs attacking you and world ending plots to solve- wouldn't be that ridiculous to replace said kid with a young adult at least.

The worst thing I can think of would be the fact that your character might still live with their mother and what is wrong with that, really? Mom lives alone. She needs somebody. =(

Granted you're a terrible child who leaves her to live by herself anyway.

It's really what they should do is adapt the games to acknowledge the varying ages of their playerbase. I don't expect tattoos but I don't think there would be anything wrong with giving options for adults with facial hair- what does it affect really? I mean you're already a kid going off and adventuring an entire region by yourself with dangerous gangs attacking you and world ending plots to solve- wouldn't be that ridiculous to replace said kid with a young adult at least.

The worst thing I can think of would be the fact that your character might still live with their mother and what is wrong with that, really? Mom lives alone. She needs somebody. =(

I agree, this is something they really could have done in XY if they really wanted. I really think the story formula needs a reboot so Id love to see something different for once. Although why they don't is really odd.

I mean you're already a kid going off and adventuring an entire region by yourself with dangerous gangs attacking you and world ending plots to solve- wouldn't be that ridiculous to replace said kid with a young adult at least.(

Imagine being a man in their twenties traveling with Lillie.
Please don't.

Imagine being a man in their twenties traveling with Lillie.
Please don't.
XD Well all relationships in Pokemon are platonic anyway...

Besides, I still got plenty of lesbian undertones playing my female character in Sun- Lillie keeps having awkward quiet moments with the player. At night. It's weird no matter what age your character is.

But super entertaining and made the cutscenes 1000% better so I can't complain.

Well if there was an age feature, it would make sense to apply that age to your rivals too. You wouldn't choose 'age 20' but still have 10 year old rivals lol.

Unless said rival still beats you up and steals your lunch money lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom