• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the Switch's launch people complained that Switch was a little too big, and a bit expensive for someone who doesn’t use a dock. I think it was also mentioned that battery life was also an issue.

A Switch Mini could be created for the previously-3DS users which doesn’t have attached Joycons or the Dock, but remains compatible with them so that people can connect those if they want to.
The cost in this fashion could be brought down to $200 or so (depending on how much profit Nintendo wants to reap) which would appeal to someone who has no use for the Dock.

They've realised this since Dock-less Switches are being sold in Japan currently.

The Switch Mini will not really lose the 'Switch' functionality then since it can change to TV mode if peripherals are purchased.
Motion controls could work similarly to how they do in handheld mode. Iirc no game is TV-only so it works out.

Personally, I would totally buy a mini Switch that is easier to carry and has a longer battery life over the current (very expensive) model, especially if it was paired with the newest Pokémon games. Most portable Nintendo consoles have had numerous different models, like the GBA. With the Switch's popularity I think it would only make sense to bring out new models when the time is ripe.

I think Nintendo plans to support the 3DS until the Switch mini comes out in North America. I can see that being the case because the 3DS is starting to lose ground here in North America, the reason is that very few games are being announced for it every year, and most of those are ports and remakes at this point. Even most developers are leaving the 3DS behind.

On bulbapedia it says one of the main themes of gen 7 is tradition
So mabye one of gen 8's themes will be innovation
I think innovation makes a lot of sense. Gen 7 broke with tradition in many ways. Now we’re are getting a true new generation on a console for the first time, that has tons of differentt functions than previous systems (handheld vs. tv, motion controls beyond an gyroscope, hd) they have to evolve and innovate to deliver.

Gen 7 is more like a break from tradition than tradition itself. I felt Johto was more about myth and history

Alola’s the most sticking-to-tradition we’ve ever got. To the point that they maintained their traditional rite of passage instead of gyms and a league for such an extra ordinarily long time.

The legendaries are worshipped akin to gods, too.

People in this thread keep talking about a switch mini. But I think that makeing the switch smaller would make it cost more not less. If they could have made it smaller at a better price point would they not have just done that in the first place?

Also the dock it probably the least expensive part of the switch I don't see how removing that makes it cost less.

People in this thread keep talking about a switch mini. But I think that makeing the switch smaller would make it cost more not less. If they could have made it smaller at a better price point would they not have just done that in the first place?

Also the dock it probably the least expensive part of the switch I don't see how removing that makes it cost less.
Not really, the Wii mini cost less than the standard Wii because less parts were used to make it, I can see the Switch mini being the same if they exclude all the extra accessories that the current Switch comes with, since joycons on the Switch mini would be built into the console anyways.

On bulbapedia it says one of the main themes of gen 7 is tradition
So mabye one of gen 8's themes will be innovation

Then again, Bulbapedia's Gen 7 article also includes a really subjective digression into the Alchemy Theory™ and even references that piece of fan-art that contorted the Starters' bodies to match alchemical symbols, so uhh yeah not so sure of the objective credibility on that one. I'm half-surprised it doesn't include a link to Lockstin's reboot theory video.

Surely the "theme" of Gen 7 is more to do with adaptation to new environments? There's the heavier focus on ecological relationships between Pokémon (and the question of how much humans should involve themselves in that), the Alola Forms, Lillie escaping her negative environment and learning to grow into her own role, the player being new to Alola and having to adapt to all of the local customs, the fact that that's mirrored by the UBs as fellow strangers to Alola, the URS having to adapt to a world without light... you know, "balance of nature" type stuff, represented by the interplay between the sun and the moon. In fact I'm fairly sure that Ohmori said something along those lines himself in the guidebook. I'll double-check that later.

Smaller size for enhanced portability- can't carry a tablet in your pocket, after all.

That's true, but my Switch fits in my pocket, if a bit snugly, as long as I take the Joy-Cons off. :)

Last edited:
Still thinking that whatever Switch with no detachable joycons and no dock is just a portable console that has nothing in common with a switch, but hey...

But I think that makeing the switch smaller would make it cost more not less. If they could have made it smaller at a better price point would they not have just done that in the first place?

No detachable joycons so no rails, or the attaching tools, one battery instead of 3, one Bluetooth chip instead of 3, one motion control system for the main console instead of two. And no dock, like you said.

It should knock off a fair share of the cost.

If they do make a Switch Mini, I don't want them to make it so that Gen 8 only works on the Switch Mini and can't be played at all on a normal Switch.

If they do make a Switch Mini, I don't want them to make it so that Gen 8 only works on the Switch Mini and can't be played at all on a normal Switch.

That’s a weird thing to be afraid of. Gen 8 has been development since before Switch mini has been a thing so it’ll work on the normal switch.

They won't do that, the thing that they don't want to do is divide the Switch userbase, especially since Pokemon and Animal Crossing are going to be the big games for this year, having only two is already low enough as it is, but splitting the userbase would make this problem even worse.

Just a normal console with its peripherals. Nothing to "switch" to.

And 2DS was a 3DS without 3D.

There is a market for Switch without its peripherals so it makes sense to sell one without them for convenience, it can still ‘Switch’ if you want it to and won’t if you don’t want it to.

The Switching capabilities are not lost. It just gives you a better deal if you don’t want to use some modes.

And 2DS was a 3DS without 3D.

There is a market for Switch without its peripherals so it makes sense to sell one without them for convenience, it can still ‘Switch’ if you want it to and won’t if you don’t want it to.

The Switching capabilities are not lost. It just gives you a better deal if you don’t want to use some modes.
Never said it wouldn't have a market. Just saying it would lose the reason why I bought a switch. Matter of tastes. If people want a console just to play pokemon can easly buy a mini switch. And by the way the switching capability are lost unless you spend 100+ dollars to buy those capabilities. Basically you buy a 199dollars switch mini then you spend 100+dollars to buy detachable joycons and dock. You could easy have bought a normal switch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom