• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said back when ORAS came out, pokemon could have the grunting voice acting or random phrases like "Oh, I see." and "HUH?!" and "Ugh..." but at least for me, that kind of takes you out of the story. Not to mention the repeated lines would get very annoying very fast.

There's also the aforementioned the naming problem. Unless there's a huge list of common names in the game to call from (which would screw over people with uncommon names), Imagine a big cut scene that finally has the player character emoting and the voice of the villain just cuts out when they curse your name? Not going to go over very well and also very jarring considering the bad guy is yelling in the text but suddenly stops or says something completely different than is written.

I'd rather if it did have voice acting it would be optional and only there for people who want it or for blind/hard of seeing people.

That's what i was thinking too
Mabye a Fire/Ice or Water/Ice snowman
I reslly wish we hade more unique starters

Mabye it's tommorow. Rogersbase didn't say anything else about the trip provided by nintendo after the tweet today
I think he is home again.

Like I said back when ORAS came out, pokemon could have the grunting voice acting or random phrases like "Oh, I see." and "HUH?!" and "Ugh..." but at least for me, that kind of takes you out of the story. Not to mention the repeated lines would get very annoying very fast.

There's also the aforementioned the naming problem. Unless there's a huge list of common names in the game to call from, Imagine a big cut scene that finally has the player character emoting and the voice of the villain just cuts out when they curse your name? Not going to go over very well and also very jarring considering the bad guy is yelling in the text but suddenly stops or says something completely different than is written.

I'd rather if it did have voice acting it would be optional and only there for people who want it or for blind/hard of seeing people.

They could get away with it by calling you trainer like BOTW addresses you as hero, but that would get kinda dull fast and kinda would be weird for your friends and key characters to address you as that all the time, unless they call you friend or another key trainer title.

Only issue with this is BOTW only got away with this by having your character auto default named to link taking away the classical feature to name Link of your choosing

Pokemon games typically address your character via name in the script and rely on it. Only way for Pokemon to feature voice acting, would be to never address your name for voice acting scenes and to address your name via text only or none at all. This is very achievable if they really wanted but if would somewhat change character interaction from what we are used to. Pokemon is def far behind most standard JRPG games in this regard, I would be open to having voice acting if it improves the story mode making it more engaging and believable.
Thank you! That was one of the problems both Final Fantasy X and Suikoden Tierkreis had. Since they had voice acting and a main character with a custom name they had to go out of their way to avoid saying his name (FFX) or leaving it blank at times making dialogue weird (Suikoden Tierkreis).

EDIT: Also happened in both Baten Kaitos games, where you are a main character. Thankfully, most of the time it was at the end of sentences so it didn't look that bad.

Pokemon games typically address your character via name in the script and rely on it. Only way for Pokemon to feature voice acting, would be to never address your name for voice acting scenes and to address your name via text only or none at all. This is very achievable if they really wanted but if would somewhat change character interaction from what we are used to. Pokemon is def far behind most standard JRPG games in this regard, I would be open to having voice acting if it improves the story mode making it more engaging and believable.
There's also the aforementioned the naming problem. Unless there's a huge list of common names in the game to call from (which would screw over people with uncommon names), Imagine a big cut scene that finally has the player character emoting and the voice of the villain just cuts out when they curse your name? Not going to go over very well and also very jarring considering the bad guy is yelling in the text but suddenly stops or says something completely different than is written.

Final Fantasy X managed to avoid saying the main character's name just fine. It's just a matter of getting the script properly written.

If the next region is inspired by the UK, then hopefully they also revisit the unfinished lore leftover from Poke-France - a.k.a., Kalos. I'm hoping there might be some things unexplained in Kalos that are resolved in Poke-England.

Final Fantasy X managed to avoid saying the main character's name just fine. It's just a matter of getting the script properly written.
But isn't it a little bit awkward not having the protagonist or any character say their name? Doesn't help that the problem with Tidus continued in the sequel with him being only mentioned by pronouns.

Only issue with this is BOTW only got away with this by having your character auto default named to link taking away the classical feature to name Link of your choosing

Well... in World of Warcraft cinematics or speaked dialoges, all the npc's call your character "hero" or something like that(I don't know the english word, sorry, in spanish is "adalid")so they can go for the same way.

Honestly they could get away with not saying the player's name in cut scenes by having characters look at your character and using the silent or non-silent "you."

Also gotta remember that it would only be for cut scenes, they can address you by name everywhere else.

Voice acting for cut scenes would be fantastic, though, I 100% want this.

They could also take a page from Animal Crossing, and have the protagonist's friends use a nickname based on the first letter of the name you chose, and (if they don't add different ages to choose from for the PC) the villains could call you kid. After beating the E4, maybe everyone calls you champ. Maybe your mom calls you champ from the beginning. Might be weird, though, and the nickname would have to be something that the player would actually like.

They could also take a page from Animal Crossing, and have the protagonist's friends use a nickname based on the first letter of the name you chose, and (if they don't add different ages to choose from for the PC) the villains could call you kid. After beating the E4, maybe everyone calls you champ. Maybe your mom calls you champ from the beginning. Might be weird, though, and the nickname would have to be something that the player would actually like.
We could choose a nickname in XY. So why not do the same for Gen 8?

We could choose a nickname in XY. So why not do the same for Gen 8?

It’ll be a cold, cold day in hell before I let anyone call me ‘Big R’ ... God... those nicknames in XY were the cringiest moment of any Pokémon game (for me). Like, actual physical shuddering upon reading them.

All joking aside, I do agree that being able to choose a nickname for the purpose of voice acting would be pretty cool - just as long as the choices were varied and plentiful!

Unpopular opinion here, I guess, but I like NOT having voice acting in the Pokemon games. I feel like that is part of what makes them unique.

It also allows the player to attach their own choice of personality and character to NPCs. It can be pretty jarring to hear a voice attributed to someone who in your head, sounded completely different.

I kind of agree. Would be weird to mix a silent protagonist with a voice acting cast.

Exactly. Everytime they do it in a Zelda game it feels so off.
I can't see Game Freak doing it anyways - that's a lot of added development time for something I think they're already trying to rush out the door tbh

I don't see voice acting happening, sure it would be cool, but it would unnecessarily push the game back since they would need to hire voice actors, plus in a game in which it's supposed to be the point of view of the player, it would be pretty weird if the characters just called me "you" all the time just to avoid sounding different letters. Now off course, the easier way to go for voice acting would be having the characters grunts like in the Zelda games.

on the subject of voice acting, i feel like a system like persona 5’s would be the best. you get to choose your name, and while you’re in the normal overworld, your friends only call you by your chosen name through text, but when you go on adventures, you use a code name. this makes it easy to address the main character in a lot of situations. so maybe if they do voice acting in cutscenes, some sort of nickname/codename could be used to address the main character? persona also doesn’t always have fully voiced dialogue, and i feel like it pulls off the “voice noises” or whatever well. basically, i feel like if we got voice acting, persona’s would be a great example of what i’d personally want. just
my opinion tho

on the subject of voice acting, i feel like a system like persona 5’s would be the best. you get to choose your name, and while you’re in the normal overworld, your friends only call you by your chosen name through text, but when you go on adventures, you use a code name. this makes it easy to address the main character in a lot of situations. so maybe if they do voice acting in cutscenes, some sort of nickname/codename could be used to address the main character? persona also doesn’t always have fully voiced dialogue, and i feel like it pulls off the “voice noises” or whatever well. basically, i feel like if we got voice acting, persona’s would be a great example of what i’d personally want. just
my opinion tho
Not sure that kind of system would work for Pokemon, tbh. Persona they need codenames to protect their identities, but in Pokemon what reason do we have to hide our names?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom