• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think something is going to happen, and soon. Going to NY for 5 days to Q&A on LGPE for 5 days is a bit much. But then again, they could be talking about something different each day. I can see them focusing some time on general Pokemon questions, like what goes into the work they do and stuff, and maybe one day on LGPE. But, 5 days is a lot, and I can see Gen 8 being the reason why they are there for so long. It's so tough to say, but I hope we'll know within these next few days.

Time to dissect this leak! (my thoughts in bold):

Hello, I'm here to give you information on the next Pokémon, you believe me or not. 4chan is full of false leaks, so I turn to foreign forums, which may be more in tune. Because leaking through foreign forums will be more credible...
  • The games are called Pokémon Torch and Pokémon Flint, and these will be worn on prehistory, addressing the difference between humans and Pokémon. Another tradition region?
  • The legendary Pokémon Torch is a mix between a monkey and a tree, with fire, I don't know his type but it could be that it's finally the first type plant / fire. Seeing how we already have Grass and Fire monkeys, I don't know if it will be something we have not seen.
  • The second is a kind of saber-toothed tiger. Okay, that's kind of new.
  • These Pokémon represent the first learning of humanity: the control of fire and the creation of tools. Sounds interesting.
  • The game takes place in South Africa, but the landscape mixes everything you can see in the continuous, like a desert in the North of the map, with pyramids. This sounds like something I might want.
  • There are 97 new Pokédex entries, totaling 904 Pokémon. Nothing new here.
  • Starters are a monkey (grass type), a cobra (fire type) and a duck (water type). sigh Another Grass monkey? And another Water duck? Okay, an actual Water duck, since Ducklett is a baby swan and Psyduck might be a platypus with kappa added in the evolution.
  • There are no new regional forms or mega, but a new form of Pokemon appears : it’s a mixture of Utra Beast and Shadow Pokemon, J. Turner (Designer of XD001) is very proud of it. I don't think this will be well received.
  • The story is about an opposition between human and Pokemon, these new forms are very important for the scenario. Hey! Someone got inspired by Takeshi Shudo!
  • The game is meant to be innovative since it wants to bring together all players, using reference to different spin-offs. It's a first. For example, Spenser (Ranger), Willow, (GO), Miror B and his grunts (Colosseum & XD), and many others, make appearances in the game. Although I would like Miror B. to come back with his XD theme, this is the part where the leak falls apart.
  • There are no gyms, but a new system close to Colosseum. So, gyms by another name.
  • There is a substitute for Pokémon contests, where the Pokémon order is different. Each Pokémon makes its show entirely in front of the jury. Okay, I don't get this one.
Revelation in one week with a trailer showing titles and legendaries. This will be easy to debunk.

Neither the legendaries or the starters sound that interesting, the story sounds like Shudo's original plans for the anime and the fact that they will include characters from spin-offs sound suspicious. Yes, I know Burnett appeared in Gen VII but it was because it was fitting and the leaks only included her because we saw her in a trailer, but aside from that, I doubt we will get anyone from any spin-off aside from possibly Willow.

This leak can easily be debunked.

Their is no way they would do a Monkey Starter and a Monkey like Legendary, since one of them will overshadow the other.

Yeah, the Flint and Torch leak has some good qualities, but the fact that there is a Sabortooth Tiger Legendary (Raikou anyone?) and that there is a monkey legendary, and a monkey starter, makes rumors pretty easy to prove fake. Too many similarities.

Also Flint and Torch are extremely similar. I know the story is said to deal with fire and learning to create tools, but usually names have to do with opposites, or at least separate things that are of the same. Flint and Torch are both about fire, and the only real difference is that one is used to set fire and the other can be used to hold fire, or is setting the fire if you look at it as a verb.

Last edited:
Something interesting is the Switch online services will undergo two maintenance periods starting tomorrow. Really weird to have two of them on the same day as opposed to one, here is the source that said that.

This leak can easily be debunked.

Their is no way they would do a Monkey Starter and a Monkey like Legendary, since one of them will overshadow the other.
Not to mention the fact that they've already done a monkey starter, and the closest they've ever come to repeating the theme or concept of a starter is with the Chimchar and Tepig lines, who are both based on characters from Journey to the West (and even then they were based on different ones). We might see starters based on similar animals to a previous one, but I doubt we'd ever see a straight-up repeat.

But then again, they could be talking about something different each day.
They'll be talking about whatever they're asked, as long as it isn't off-limits. There is no indication of the event being streamed, so they could answer similar questions each day with the audience being none the wiser. Also, the event seems to be kid-oriented - a far cry from something like E3.

Not to mention the fact that they've already done a monkey starter, and the closest they've ever come to repeating the theme or concept of a starter is with the Chimchar and Tepig lines, who are both based on characters from Journey to the West (and even then they were based on different ones). We might see starters based on similar animals to a previous one, but I doubt we'd ever see a straight-up repeat.
Yeah. Not only that, this rumor mentions that some spinoff characters will make an appearance.

Part of me wonders if they have a smaller Pokémon related game they will announce and released on Pokémon day, similarly to what they did with Pokémon Quest.

Omg, are we finally getting legit news? It will be exciting if we do. And even if the Q + A focuses on gen 8, they don't necessarily have to answer every question. I could imagine a number of 'we don't want to spoil it' style answers and other vague replies if people ask more than what they want us to know.

Here's something that makes me really suspicious:
  • There are 97 new Pokédex entries, totaling 904 Pokémon.
That's totally incorrect-if there were 97 new Pokemon, we'd have 906 Pokemon in total. (809+97=906)They left out the Meltan line. Sure, maybe they miscounted, but why wouldn't they just check the dex number of the last Pokemon?

• There are no new regional forms or mega, but a new form of Pokemon appears : it’s a mixture of Utra Beast and Shadow Pokemon, J. Turner (Designer of XD001) is very proud of it.
A mixture of Ultra Beasts and Shadow Pokemon makes a new form? That doesn't make any sense-Shadow Pokemon are just Pokemon altered by Team Cipher. There's no reason an Ultra Beast couldn't be a Shadow Pokemon already.

• The story is about an opposition between human and Pokemon, these new forms are very important for the scenario.
They refer to one individual form ("proud of it" instead of "proud of them"), but now they're saying that there's multiple Pokemon in this form?

Also, if forms partly based on Shadow Pokemon are "very important" to the story, then why leave Team Cipher out of the game? They're the entire basis for Shadow Pokemon. (Mirror B was an admin for Cipher, but he left in XD)

And this is petty, but this bit:
  • The legendary Pokémon Torch is a mix between a monkey and a tree, with fire, I don't know his type but it could be that it's finally the first type plant / fire.
  • Starters are a monkey (grass type), a cobra (fire type) and a duck (water type).
Why did they forget the name of the Grass type, and then remember it just a few lines later? (Heck, why'd they forget the name of the type at all if they remembered Shadow Lugia's codename?) It feels like they're not checking their post for correct information.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom