• 4chan is an 18+ website, and as such we do not want to expose our underage users to that site.

You may post screen shots and text from 4chan, but direct linking to the site or its archival sites is not allowed.

Thanks.

• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • Regarding Isle of Armor/Crown Tundra DLC Spoilers

For users browsing this forum, be aware that you may stumble upon spoilers! Threads that have spoilered information will be tagged as such, but still do take caution.
    Spoiler Embargo will be in place one month from DLC release. This means it will lift on July 17th, 2020.

• The World Beyond Restructure is now finished! Check out the update here!
  • The 2020 staff drive for Bulbagarden is now live! If you're interested in joining the Bulbagarden staff team (whether it be forums, social media, or more!) then you're encouraged to apply!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flame Trainer
Reaction score
that's a rather cynical take on things, don't you think?

it kinda defeats the purpose of masuda quitting if the rest of the development team is more or less made to follow his ideology anyway. if he's going to step down as director, it's under the assumption that someone new with an entirely new vision is going to take the reigns of pokemon games from here on out.
I guess it came across as more bleak than I meant it to be...

My point was that the newer generation will not be probably given a free run on developing the franchise suddenly. Their suggestions will be probably first analysed by the higher ups before being passed till they gradually take over the franchise.

Thus, the change will be most likely bit-by-bit and take the course of a few games.

Laid to Wake
Reaction score
it kinda defeats the purpose of masuda quitting if the rest of the development team is more or less made to follow his ideology anyway. if he's going to step down as director, it's under the assumption that someone new with an entirely new vision is going to take the reigns of pokemon games from here on out.
Masuda is retiring because he's been directing the main games for 17 years and probably just wants to take a load off and work in a less stressful position after all of that. I don't think that necessarily means anything about changing the "vision" for the series, especially since it seems to be Ohmori taking over and his two big projects are the ones that fans complain about most because they have that ideology. Is it not just as likely that Masuda picked a guy who generally agreed with him because he thought it would provide a clean directorial continuity? I wouldn't even say that's cynical, exactly - granted I'm not as negative about the current direction of the series as a lot of people here are, but even in general I think that's just two different kinds of management perspective. Not everyone who oversees a project wants to hand it off to someone in the hopes that they'll come in and demolish the whole thing and build their own version of it (although generally speaking, I'm a fan of that approach). There will be those who would prefer to leave it in the hands of someone they see as being able to keep the existing thing stable.

Last edited:
ᴅʀɪꜰᴛɪɴɢ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴀ ᴍᴇᴍᴏʀʏ
Reaction score
Masuda is retiring because he's been directing the main games for 17 years and probably just wants to take a load off and work in a less stressful position after all of that. I don't think that necessarily means anything about changing the "vision" for the series, especially since it seems to be Ohmori taking over and his two big projects are the ones that fans complain about most because they have that ideology. Is it not just as likely that Masuda picked a guy who generally agreed with him and thought it would provide a clean directorial continuity? I wouldn't even say that's cynical, exactly - granted I'm not as negative about the current direction of the series as a lot of people here are, but even in general I think that's just two different kinds of management perspective. Not everyone who oversees a project wants to hand it off to someone in the hopes that they'll come in and demolish the whole thing and build their own version of it. There will be those who would prefer to leave it in the hands of someone they see as being able to keep the existing thing stable.
I'm aware of why he's retiring.

And I'm aware the possibility exists that it's likely the person selected to replace him as director may possibly be similar to him in ideology.

It is also equally as possible that he might not go that route at all and choose someone with a fresh new set of ideas for the benefit of the franchise, don't you think?

Looking for a way to be whole again.
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind is that a younger director can in fact have a different vision of Pokemon than a senior director, which can lead to changes of the franchise. The thing is that younger developers are in charge of developing games with premade blueprints, basically to train younger developers to make games before they make one made from an entirely new concept.

Bug Trainer (formerly TexasDarkTrainer)
Reaction score
Is anyone talking about the Pokémon Kingdom rumor from pokejungle?
4chan, so grain of salt. That being said, this BotW level of open world gameplay is what many people want from the first Pokemon console game, so it's an easy rumor to sell. I don't see anything in the rumor that I feel would be particularly bad for the franchise. shrug

It looks more like India then UK though.
The British Empire has historically had a massive influence on India. Could be a connection. Also, I don't really think it looks anymore like India than any piece of land that sticks out into the ocean. The British island has a couple places, one on its southern coast especially, that are of similar shape.

Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
This "Tania" region does look a lot like India. I'm gonna take it with a grain of salt though.

Reaction score
Also, I don't really think it looks anymore like India than any piece of land that sticks out into the ocean. The British island has a couple places, one on its southern coast especially, that are of similar shape.
Yes; it looks more like Southeast Asia!

Status
Not open for further replies.