• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m hoping they confirm (not necessarily in this direct) if 2020 is going to have a mainline game or not.

That happened twice so they would prevent the backlash from the games announced, as one was a 3DS third version split in two and the other one was...LGPE. This time there's nothing fans would want more than a new generation. Not even the Sinnoh remake, even its hardcore fans would accept seeing a new generation first.

I'd prefer them to take a break from that kind of announcements.
Let’s not have another pointless “2018 vs 2019” debate again.

I think the marketing department is to blame for that one, with their "Maybe 2018, maybe later", statement. Besides, the "they need a break from making 4 games (plus Town, Quest and others) in a row" argument holds strong (so far...).

I feel like 2020 will be a gap year. 2021 is the 25th anniversary which is arguably a bigger deal than the 20th (since they’d be celebrating a quarter of a century) so I can’t see them not putting out a mainline release that year.

Also, it’s exciting seeing the thread moving so fast slskdkfjsk. A lot of us have been speculating Gen 8 since late 2017 so it’s crazy that it’s finally happening

Last edited:
Too bad we never see satoshi every do anything. Lile dude its your franchise but where the hell are you?

Hope he directs one more game

I've seen in some interview Masuda saying that he looks at medias, or something along those lines, not sure what it means. But he is still the CEO of Game Freak.

Last edited:
I feel like 2020 will be a gap year. 2021 is the 25th anniversary ersarry which is arguably a bigger deal than the 20th (since they’d be celebrating a quarter of a century) so I can’t see them not putting out a mainline release that year.

That's what I also think. Considering the fact that from 2016 to 2019 there was a mainline game every year, it's insane to think about them to release another game between 2019 and 2021 since they need usually needed a break year after every 2-3 years and especially now after such a big jump from the 3DS to the Switch, which is without a doubt the biggest technical jump ever in the Pokemon franchise, they definitely need a break. And then 2021 as the 25th anniversary they're going to reveal DP remakes (I mean they released the originals on the 10th anniversary so it's fitting I guess?)

Because of that I also think the 8th generation will last longer than the last three generations. Four or even five years.

That's what I also think. Considering the fact that from 2016 to 2019 there was a mainline game every year, it's insane to think about them to release another game between 2019 and 2021 since they need usually needed a break year after every 2-3 years and especially now after such a big jump from the 3DS to the Switch, which is without a doubt the biggest technical jump ever in the Pokemon franchise, they definitely need a break. And then 2021 as the 25th anniversary they're going to reveal DP remakes (I mean they released the originals on the 10th anniversary so it's fitting I guess?)

Because of that I also think the 8th generation will last longer than the last three generations. Four or even five years.
I think that if any generation were to be remade in the 25th anniversary year it would be Gen 1.

I think that if any generation were to be remade in the 25th anniversary year it would be Gen 1.
I don’t see how a remake would work in this case. The only exception to the remake sequence was LGPE, which is still a different kind of game (and one I think will open its own sequels of game).

I suppose they can release a LG Johto game, which would still include Kanto, but not a remake in the sense of FR/LG.

I think that this hypothetical new Kanto game would a sequel and not a 1:1 remake.

I can see them doing a gap year for 2020, but it does feel a little weird to have a Sinnoh remake for the 25th anniversary, unless they added some really cool homages to the original games in it. I mean, as much as I am absolutely done with Kanto references. I think this would make the most sense.

I can also seeing them actually making the 25th anniversary year their break year, and having Sinnoh remakes come out 2020. Instead a major spin-off game could come out 2021, that pays homage to Pokemon as a whole. Honestly, this is what I feel best suits an anniversary year if it's not a new generation.

They are not going to make another gen 1 game, so many people would be sick of that and the sales would drop. People would want DP remakes over kanta
But still, the general audience is more familiar with Kanto than Sinnoh. A Gen 1 remake/sequel will sell well regardless.

I feel like 2020 will be a gap year. 2021 is the 25th anniversary ersarry which is arguably a bigger deal than the 20th (since they’d be celebrating a quarter of a century) so I can’t see them not putting out a mainline release that year.

Also, it’s exciting seeing the thread moving so fast slskdkfjsk. A lot of us have been speculating Gen 8 since late 2017 so it’s crazy that it’s finally happening
Oh no.. I just had a terrible thought after reading this.. what if they’re saving Gen 8 for the 25th anniversary, and we’re getting Sinnoh remakes this year.. and that’s the reason why TPC teased “Sinnoh confirmed” on their Instagram..

Oh no.. I just had a terrible thought after reading this.. what if they’re saving Gen 8 for the 25th anniversary, and we’re getting Sinnoh remakes this year.. and that’s the reason why TPC teased “Sinnoh confirmed” on their Instagram..
I highly doubt that Gen 7 will last 6 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom