• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, he didn't design them all, but even with a team of artists, you get some serious burn out when under pressure to create a ton of new designs. If they had stuck to ~100 new additions instead of attempting 150+, it would have been a lot easier on them, and we might not have gotten the underwhelming duo that is Basculin and Basculin. XD
Yeah it was probably tough. I've had some pokemon ideas before, and usualy the concepts are easy, but the design is almost impossible. I really admire Sugimori for making the first 150 or so.

Well, the artist can say what he likes, I guess. He didn't create all of the gen 5 pokemon, though did he? I still like them, so once a pokemon is made, it's really up to us to decide if it's good enough, I'd say.
He created most of them and does their official artwork

Yeah it was probably tough. I've had some pokemon ideas before, and usualy the concepts are easy, but the design is almost impossible. I really admire Sugimori for making the first 150 or so.
There also winds up being a lot of designs that either get tossed or reworked in the process, so that's a looooot of work in designing pokemon.

I hope they keep those scrapped designs, though- what I wouldn't give to be a fly at GameFreak poking my head in to the files of scrapped pokemon that didn't make it. Especially if they still have Honoguma and Kurusu's artwork? Heck yeah, let's bring those prototype gen 2 pokemon back.

My dream: make Missingno, Honoguma and Kurusu into official pokemon.

There also winds up being a lot of designs that either get tossed or reworked in the process, so that's a looooot of work in designing pokemon.

I hope they keep those scrapped designs, though- what I wouldn't give to be a fly at GameFreak poking my head in to the files of scrapped pokemon that didn't make it. Especially if they still have Honoguma and Kurusu's artwork? Heck yeah, let's bring those prototype gen 2 pokemon back.

That would be groovy! Anythings possible, and didn't they do that with Musharna? I always liked the blue and green turtle art.

yeah, I think I was wrong about Musharna, even though I thought I remembered it.

Last edited:

The only way I could see Missingno becoming a real Pokémon is if they tweaked Porygon to be like Wurmple where it'll evolve into Porygon-2 or Missingno depending on its personality value, and once the evolution occurs you discover your precious Porygon to be a Missingno that disguised itself as to escape the cruel confinement of the computer system in which it was entrapped by Silph Co. or a rival business snuck in and sabotaged Porygon production…ya know, they could do that.

Maybe they could have a Mysterious Individual hiding behind a building who trades you a Porygon for something and then it becomes Missingno, alternatively they could make it that it was an attempt at illegally producing Porygon and therefore the Up-Grade is Incompatible with the Quasi-Porygon.

If he does the question is why does he keep hammering this point? Does he want credit for knowing ahead of time? I don't know the guy personally or anything but from what I can tell he would rather not be responsible for leakes and the like due what happened in the past.

Maybe he knows something but knows/thinks there's going to be some kind of fan backlash. But why does he care in that case?

Otherwise he should have ever reason just to keep his head down.

I can understand why he's careful, in the past he has had two cease and desist legal action warnings from nintendo in the past. Its part of the reason why he doesn't talk about leaks or information in the public on serebii until another official source confirms it. he basically has to play it safe lol

How is it a legitimate concern? Because first off, the main catchphrase has been "gotta catch 'em all" for the past 20 years. Being able to catch a bunch of Pokemon is what's supposed to be the fun of these games, not the burden. If people are truly going to be bothered by the amount of Pokemon, then they are seriously barking up the wrong tree.

Tbh though that catchphrase was only used in the west to make it more attractive and marketable, it doesn't exist in Japan ironically. I do believe I did read somewhere that one of the main Gamefreak higher ups did say in a article that he wasn't in a hurry to reach 1000 anytime soon, so we can expect more gens with smaller pools of pokemon being added.

The only way I could see Missingno becoming a real Pokémon is if they tweaked Porygon to be like Wurmple where it'll evolve into Porygon-2 or Missingno depending on its personality value, and once the evolution occurs you discover your precious Porygon to be a Missingno that disguised itself as to escape the cruel confinement of the computer system in which it was entrapped by Silph Co. or a rival business snuck in and sabotaged Porygon production…ya know, they could do that.

Maybe they could have a Mysterious Individual hiding behind a building who trades you a Porygon for something and then it becomes Missingno, alternatively they could make it that it was an attempt at illegally producing Porygon and therefore the Up-Grade is Incompatible with the Quasi-Porygon.
Well, I could see Missingno being its own pokemon. It's not like we don't have two electronic-based pokemon with Porygon and Rotom, and there's really no harm in having two computer-based pokemon either- Porygon and Porygon2 were a reference to computer graphics (and the improvement of) and Porygon-Z is a reference to the glitchy tendencies that tend to occur when people crack their software to do something it's not meant to. It would be neat to get a pokemon that is just based purely on the concept of a glitch- and of course, why just any glitch? Why not make one named Missingno that references any of Missingno's forms with its design? =D

This could also lead to a possible computer-based environment where you enter a computer somehow like in that Porygon episode that they refused to show after its tragic debut.... oooor maybe not for exactly that reason, they seem to treat poor Porygon with a degree of trauma as it is.

Missingno is just such a legend for the franchise, though, it almost feels like it's about time to make it an official addition.

Look at this cool Missingno. art by TCG artist Tokiya.
Eeeeee- I was thinking of combining them all into one design but why when IT COULD HAVE FORMS, EVEN! Oh my goodness, that would be amazing. XD I am too hype- come on GameFreak, give your ol' glitch friend some love.

Imagine if its base form was just a cute cluster of pixels, ohmigawd.

This could also lead to a possible computer-based environment where you enter a computer somehow like in that Porygon episode that they refused to show after its tragic debut.... oooor maybe not for exactly that reason, they seem to treat poor Porygon with a degree of trauma as it is.

I see no reason why the games wouldn't do something just because of the Anime's folly, afterall Porygon has been attainable in every Generation in some way, the only games it's not readily available being Sapphire/Ruby/Emerald, Black, Black/White 2 and X/Y.

Heck in Gen VII they straight up give it to you, while most of the games you need to catch or earn it.

Look at this cool Missingno. art by TCG artist Tokiya.

Seeing the Forms again makes me think of Missingno. as possessing the skeletons, making it almost a Rotom counterpart.
One inhabits Electronics but is a Pokémon and the other inhabits what once was Pokémon while once being Electronic.

Seeing the Forms again makes me think of Missingno. as possessing the skeletons, making it almost a Rotom counterpart.
One inhabits Electronics but is a Pokémon and the other inhabits what once was Pokémon while once being Electronic.
They could give us a museum or fossil dig site area and our Missingno could possess the remains. XD
Maybe it could transform into a Ghost form at a graveyard or grave site? Some spiritual area?

What typing would a Missingno have, though? Some sort of Dark combo, maybe, to reflect glitches tending to have a malicious effect on game data? Dark/Normal or Dark/Electric, maybe. Could go Dark/Ghost for Ghost Missingno and Dark/Rock for Fossil Missingno, too.

Maaaaan, I know this probably won't happen in Gen 8 but I would be so ecstatic if it did.

inhabits what once was Pokémon while once being Electronic.
The only problem is that inspiriting a ghost would be a bit weird. Maybe it would be more natural to have two species: A glitch that becomes one inanimated fossil, and a ghost that can inspirit the other one.

The only problem is that inspiriting a ghost would be a bit weird. Maybe it would be more natural to have two species: A glitch that becomes one inanimated fossil, and a ghost that can inspirit the other one.
Maybe it doesn't possess a ghost, but gets influenced by spiritual energy? So like being at a burial site, it absorbs the ghost energy around it. At a museum or dig site, it could absorb/possess the bones and change its form that way.

I get Psychic type vibes from MissingNo. to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom