• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pixelpar gets waaaaaay too much credit here. My guess is dude knows nothing..

The tricky thing is he has a lot of credibility with leaking previous switch games with 100% accuracy, it’s only his Pokémon tweets that’s are questionable thats what’s confusing mostly tbh. It’s hard to tell whether he knows something but it’s clear with his other games he has access to industry insider info. I’m going to assume it’s the same for Pokémon for now.

He hasn't really said anything (without treating it as a joke) in a long time except for Project Beluga, which could be interpreted in any number of ways.

I think part of the problem is that back in March he himself got burned by one of his sources. He said a source he at the time thought was reliable told him we'd get news in March. Of course that was wrong. He then made it clear that if nothing came of that sources info that he'd drop said source. I think people look to that one thing to try and question his credibility. With that one exception in which he was very transparent and clear about he has been pretty straight forward with everything he has stated. He's never once after promised an explicit date or that we'd 100% get info in any given month. He's given his own opinion on when we'd get info sure, but he's never been truly misleading since what happened with his source.

EDIT: I think the biggest offender here is that we know there's a game coming for Switch but TPC/GF haven't told us literally anything about the game in 10 months.
That's something very common in the videogame industry, I know, but still sucks.

People just need to stop overreacting and playing detective and then blame "leakers" for false advertisement and building hype. These people are they're own worst nightmare.

It's funny that you guys say this now, because I just got done reading a post of Joe's on Twitter concerning the E3 announcement from last year. Apparently the E3 announcement was made due to the blowback of USUM's announcement because of the Stars rumor started by Eurogamer:

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/988436447022764032

This whole time I thought it was a load of BS. It makes me sad now thinking that GF got blowback mostly because of a rumor that Eurogamer started, now they're getting blowback again because of there being 10 months since we've heard anything concrete.

Pixelpar could literally draw a circle and people would be speculating "WHAT COULD IT MEAN FOR PKMN SWITCH?!?!11!!?"

Don't you get it? It means that the routes will be more linear by making us go in circles:

alola.png

Oh Mylanta they're gonna put us through circular hell AGAIN. I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE *jumps off cliff in Waimea Canyon*

Yes; although I would say that the biggest issue per se is the combination of the Lapras screen that followed soon after the unverifiable claim that the game's graphics were low quality.

There is a very amusing parallel with the Lapras screenshot that i had not considered before actually!

``Although for a number of years the photo was considered evidence of the monster, sceptics dismissed it as driftwood, an elephant, an otter, or a bird. The photo's scale was controversial; it is often shown cropped (making the creature seem large and the ripples like waves), while the uncropped shot shows the other end of the loch and the monster in the centre. The ripples in the photo were found to fit the size and pattern of small ripples, unlike large waves photographed up close. Analysis of the original image fostered further doubt.``

Oooooooo.... you mean the Locness Monster?:giggle:

It's funny that you guys say this now, because I just got done reading a post of Joe's on Twitter concerning the E3 announcement from last year. Apparently the E3 announcement was made due to the blowback of USUM's announcement because of the Stars rumor started by Eurogamer:

This whole time I thought it was a load of BS. It makes me sad now thinking that GF got blowback mostly because of a rumor that Eurogamer started, now they're getting blowback again because of there being 10 months since we've heard anything concrete.
And how do you know what Joe is saying is correct? As far as I can see, it's pure speculation. I say they made that video fairly in advance.

And how do you know what Joe is saying is correct? As far as I can see, it's pure speculation. I say they made that video fairly in advance.
I agree. It's not like they decided in 7 days to announce the switch title at e3. Metroid 4 was announced as well, so probably Nintendo simply wanted to show people that they were working on other major titles to start the hype and sell more consoles. They just wanted a couple of huge announcements to win e3. And they did.
The fact that we have had nothing for 10 months imo proves that GF doesn't care at all about blowback. They know they will sell 16 milions copies no matter what.

Its been discussed a number of times here that that is a misinterpretation of fans. The e3 announcement had to have been pre recorded and fit into the line up with time. And the usum announcement was very close.

Which means, imo and others, that the announcement was not a result of usum backlash but a pre made decision unrelated to usum.

Edit: Joker beat me to it. So.. what he said!

I agree. It's not like they decided in 7 days to announce the switch title at e3. Metroid 4 was announced as well, so probably Nintendo simply wanted to show people that they were working on other major titles to start the hype and sell more consoles. They just wanted a couple of huge announcements to win e3. And they did.
The fact that we have had nothing for 10 months imo proves that GF doesn't care at all about blowback. They know they will sell 16 milions copies no matter what.

Its been discussed a number of times here that that is a misinterpretation of fans. The e3 announcement had to have been pre recorded and fit into the line up with time. And the usum announcement was very close.

Which means, imo and others, that the announcement was not a result of usum backlash but a pre made decision unrelated to usum.

Edit: Joker beat me to it. So.. what he said!

That's what I originally thought too, but I guess I was wrong.

I see it the same way as Joe does, since they didn't seem remotely happy about it either.

Most likely they started the actual game development early April 2017, since you cannot start game development before the planning is finished and planning is impossible if the whole team is building on the new set of games, so the planning likely started September/October 2016 when SUMO was being finalized (Which doesn't require the entire team) or after SUMO was released.

Game Development goes in stages

First stage: Planning, which takes approx 3/4 months depending on the game
Second stage: Artists are busy making concepts, game development cannot be started until at least the first model is done, which is the region. Writers write the story
Third stage: Development of the game, approx 3 months after the planning is finished.
Fourth stage: Finalizing the game, music is put in last.

Like for example with Mario Oddysey: Models where already there and it was more world building than anything and even that took 4 years in development. Pokemon Switch, if it is gen 8, is completely new, which means there is no way they can release a new game in a timespan of 2 years with a smaller team than the team that worked on Oddyssey. Thats realistically impossible and makes a 2018 release unlikely, if not impossible. There is a reason the gap between new gens is at least 3 years, because the planning and making the concepts takes time.

I see it the same way as Joe does, since they didn't seem remotely happy about it either.

Most likely they started the actual game development early April 2017, since you cannot start game development before the planning is finished and planning is impossible if the whole team is building on the new set of games, so the planning likely started September/October 2016 when SUMO was being finalized (Which doesn't require the entire team) or after SUMO was released.

Second stage: Artists are busy making concepts, game development cannot be started until at least the first model is done, which is the region. Writers write the story
Third stage: Development of the game, approx 3 months after the planning is finished.

Like for example with Mario Oddysey: Models where already there and it was more world building than anything and even that took 4 years in development. Pokemon Switch, if it is gen 8, is completely new, which means there is no way they can release a new game in a timespan of 2 years with a smaller team than the team that worked on Oddyssey. Thats realistically impossible and makes a 2018 release unlikely, if not impossible. There is a reason the gap between new gens is at least 3 years, because the planning and making the concepts takes time.

we know they're targeting 2018 though, which is why a new generation is unlikely.

Again, they would not have said "2018 or later" if they were intending on a 2019 release. If this was a new generation intended for 2019, they would've just said "2019" or "TBA"

- X and y were starterd in 2010 when b/w were announced, s/m were started in 2013 when x/y were announced. The strange souvenir says hi.
- We already know that there were two separate teams working at GF, Ohmori confirmed that when he said that he had no programmers available for the trials in s/m and he had to program them by himself.
- The games are not confirmed to be gen 8.

We don't have any information about the games development so let's not just assume things. If they said "2018 or later" it's because they thought that a 2018 release was possible and if the games will be released this year it is just because the games will be ready soon.
We don't know when they started, we don't know at what point is the development. We don't know the titles. We don't know the release date. We don't know anything. We can just wait.

I don't see any evidence that they were unhappy about the announcement. And even if they were, I find it much more likely that the cause was Nintendo wanting to maximize the Switch hype. The fans that not only knew about Stars but were vocally upset about USUM are a distinct minority.

so the planning likely started September/October 2016 when SUMO was being finalized (Which doesn't require the entire team) or after SUMO was released.
The planning for ORAS started a year prior to XY's release, and the same goes for SM relative to ORAS. Ohmori was basically shuffled from one project to the next. In this case, it's likely that Masuda did the planning while Ohmori was busy with SM.

if nothing happens this week, I really really really hope May is the month.

The community will already be way past peak insanity by the time june rolls around

I've been thinking, what if the merch Paul Ryan saw that he originally planned to talk about this week, was related to the Ultra Shiny trademark from a few days ago? It's a brand-wide trademark so it could very easily be related to a merchandise line or something

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeMerrick/status/988436447022764032

What he said is purely speculation. Nintendo nor TPCI have made the statement about the Switch announcement being damage control. People just like to assume that because people acted like idiots after USUM got announced. The Switch announcement was likely planned weeks in advance. It takes a whole lot of work to make the directs in general and throwing last minute things into a the E3 direct would be ridiculous. It would take so many moving parts and is not even really worth it in the end. People need to stop acting like Nintendo/GF/TPCI bend to the whims of the loud people that complain. They don't. If they did they wouldn't treat datamined Pokemon as new. They don't acknowledge fans that way and nor should they. If fans are going to act like children then that's their problem not Nintendo's, not GF's, and not TPCI's. Bottom line is that the Switch game announcement was likely planned for that e3 prior to people throwing shit fits over USUM and people need to stop revisiting it as if it even matters at this point. Considering the investors meeting sheets stated the game could come out this year I don't think them announcing it exists last e3 on purpose is a huge stretch.

I agree that this doesn't mean anything, but for the sake of the lighter side of things this is a really cool little factoid:

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/ActualAero/status/988551954992451584

Also yeah, Infinity War is coming out that day too. Watch Thanos bust into the meeting and create an intergalactic meme combining the Marvel and Pokemon fandoms together.

Oooooooo.... you mean the Locness Monster?:giggle:

Yes, it is intriguing that basically the same questions were asked of the famed photograph:
Did it use a model of the creature placed in the water?
Did the ripples on the water have attributes that give away that it was fake?
Was the photo cropped to make it seem more believable? :) :)

It’s really interesting

Come close to 10-15 years ago, magazines, admins of forums and webmasters of sites like serebii had access to a wealth of information and data the public couldn’t and knew more than the general public, now with the rise of social media and how the industry has changed, the general public knows just as much if not more than admins and webmasters of dedicated sites and forums.

I’ve noticed this with recent switch leaks and news, the once credible sources are quite often the last to know.

Makes me curious on who will leak Pokémon switch news / the direct first or the hint of its existence.

How exactly were SM's logos first leaked again? Wasn't it like the day before or a few hours before the Direct even aired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom