• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
could a fire starter with secondary "Dry skin" ability happen? or would it be to OP? for me it would be perfect for a fire type dual combo that has no immunities and many weaknesses.

I imagine a dry desert Snake (black mamba, yellow rattle snake, white cobra combo) with that ofcourse.
Fire/poison has enough weakness and would become even more interesting.
mammal also could have dry skin but it would not fit the theme...

Then make a water/ghost elephant with Sap sipper

Grass/rock , grass/steel, camel , rhino or something that could get flash fire or heatproof against fire type attacks...
grass/steel would negate poison, then maybe heatproof to even of a little the chances?
grass/rock would take neutral fire and poison damage, but I imagine a [grass/rock] pokemon that could learn eurption, lava plum, flame charge and could have a volcano on its back similar like cammerupt or maybe small volcanoes in other places on its body, or a body based on active volcano rocks with jungle, gras on back and horn and body made of rock, with grassy body around it and could have flash fire to absorb the oponents fire attacks to use them for its own attacks then.

(or imagine Mega Torterra getting Flash Fire and its rock becomes a volcano, but probably that wont happen and a new pokemon needs this concept becuse people would argue how it learns fire type moves again...)

this bunch would be interesting.

Last edited:
A Reddit User by the name of FreeBlanders made a post about the May 12th USUM Fan Meeting containing details about the event which you can read for yourselves on Reddit Here and I'll post it below in its entirety as well for those interested.
On the 12th of May 2018, Game Freak hosted a Pokemon Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon Fan Meeting at the Pokemon Centre Mega Tokyo in Ikebukuro. Around 200 fans gathered for the occasion to listen to a special talk with some of the game’s developers. Here’s an overview of what was discussed.

In attendance from Game Freak were producers, Junichi Masuda and Shigeru Ohmori, as well as Director Kazumasa Iwao.

Pokemon Ultra Sun & Moon were Ohmori and Iwao’s first game serving as Producer and Director respectively (For the original Sun & Moon games they served as Director and Battle Director). They started the talk by mentioning that during development the dev team were conscious at all times of the word ‘Ultra’ featured in the title of the games.

Masuda’s Producer position was more senior than Ohmori’s, however when it came to the Mantine Surf mini game, the plan for development was largely based on talks with members of the surfing community.

In Ultra Sun & Moon, much like former titles, Masuda also had a hand in creating the soundtrack. We learned some details regarding one of his compositions for the games, the BGM for the fight with the Legendary Pokemon Necrozma. The theme for this battle was ‘Incompleteness’, and as such the feeling of instability was emphasized in the tracks composition. The implementation of the pounding bass drums, as well as a fast tempo and intensity not often present in Pokemon soundtracks was key to realizing this theme. Fellow GameFreak composer Go Ichinose created the battle theme for Ultra Necrozma by taking Masuda’s Necrozma theme and elaborating on the pipe organs to conjured a sort of godlike image for the arrangement.

With the idea of conveying the supreme nature of the Pokemon’s supreme existence to the player in mind, the build up to the encounter with Ultra Necrozma had to be at least twice as intense as the Legendary encounters in the original Sun & Moon games stated Iwao. Although they considered Ultra Necrozma to be the most comprehensively powerful pokemon players have encountered so far, they still wanted to make sure that as long as you utilized the strengths of the pokemon your gathered together on your journey, in the end you would come out on top.

In regards to the design of Ultra Necrozma, Iwao stated that, to put it bluntly, they wanted it to look cool. And when he considered “How do you make a cool pokemon?” naturally he concluded “You make it Dragon type”. With that as the primary design principle they set about creating a fusion of the Psychic type Necrozma and a new Dragon type form. With that said, the result was less an entirely new appearance, but rather a rearrangement of Necrozma’s body parts into a new Dragon shaped entity.

The discussion next shifted to the group who played a large role in the story of Ultra Sun & Moon, Team Rainbow Rocket. In this game, 7 leaders of the villainous organisations from previous pokemon games gather together to form one super group led by Giovanni. It was initially planned that they would make their appearance as bosses in the Battle Agency, but it was decided that just appearing as holograms would be somewhat underutilizing them, and so Team Rainbow Rocket was created.

These bosses were taken from parallel universes where the protagonist of their respective games never existed, or possibly failed to stop their schemes. On top of that, they each obtained a legendary pokemon to add to their teams. Taking the central role in this collection of villains was Giovanni, however the other villains were not exactly serving as his underlings, rather each of them found that their positions aligned with his cause and an alliance was naturally formed. The development team was happy with the idea that the appearance of these characters from previous Pokemon games might lead to more players gaining an interest in older titles.

Next, the question and answers section:

“How did the idea for Z-Moves come about?”.

Ohmori answered:

”With the implementation of Mega-Evolutions we didn’t want a situation where only Pokemon capable of mega-evolution would take all the glory, so for that reason we added Z-Moves."

As Alola was themed heavily around Hawaii, the poses trainers make when activating a Z-Move were also designed with this theme in mind. One by one the dev team thought up ‘Aloha-like’ poses, even going as far as to hold internal Z-Move Pose meetings to come up with more ideas.

“Are there currently plans for new Pokemon games?”

Masuda started to reply:

“We do have plans, but…”

before stopping and inquiring

“Do we have Nintendo Switch owners here?”

to the audience. Which he then followed up by saying

“If you don’t own a Switch, please, go and buy one”.

Whatever could he have meant by that I wonder.

(Addressed to Ohmori and Iwao) “What do you like most about Masuda-san?”.

After thinking for a moment, Ohmori replied with a smile

“A lot of what Masuda says seems to have no weight behind it, but the more you listen to what he has to say you realise there’s a lot of depth hidden in his carefree manner of speaking, and you come to understand the bigger picture of what he’s telling you. The more you chew on those words, the more flavour comes out, that cuttlefish-like nature is what I like most about him.”

It seems like Masuda isn’t always able to convey the ideas in his head to the dev team, but Ohmori and Iwao have managed to forge a relationship with him whereby they can ‘just about understand’ what’s going on up there.

When Masuda is working on a game, he has something of a fixation on making sure any loading that the game needs to carry out during gameplay is finished within 1/30th of a second. Especially in the Pokemon games, where the game is constantly loading data for the next section in the background while the player is progressing through a scene, Masuda likes to designs things around avoiding inflicting the stress of constantly having to wait for the game to finish loading on the player. Even in battles, data loading is masked behind move animations and Pokemon’s battle cries in order to avoid delays to the pace of battle. According to Masuda “The more graphics improve, the more time it takes to load data, so on that point right now development is becoming more difficult”. In that sense, back in the days of the Game Boy Advance Pokemon title’s sprite based art style it was a lot easier to manage, he reminisced.

(Directed to Masuda) “What’s your fondest memory in life?”

Without hesitation he replied

“When I got married the other day”

Prompting the audience to erupt into congratulatory applause.

Finally, with the Q&A section over, on the subject of Ultra Sun & Moon, Masuda closed with a short message.

“I feel like we were really able to draw out the appeal of the 3DS with these titles. It’s already been half a year since their release, but please continue to enjoy these games deeply. The next thing we’re all excited about is ‘Zeraora’ right? He’ll be making his debut in this years new movie, so please look forward to it.”

With that, the event drew to a close.

Source: 「ポケットモンスター ウルトラサン・ウルトラムーン」のファンミーティングレポート。発売から半年が経過した今だから話せる秘話を,開発陣が語る

I wonder why the USUM event is continuing today. There is really only so much to talk about...

I'm rather dreading the idea of Masuda directing the next games. Not that I'm a fan of Ohmori's or anything, but I was hoping to see the last of Masuda in a directorial role.

Masuda said:
The next thing we’re all excited about is ‘Zeraora’ right? He’ll be making his debut in this years new movie, so please look forward to it.
No.

We still need a villain in the movie though...so it's not impossible that those characters will be used for the movie too.
Not impossible, but I don't remember characters being revealed as late as June, or via a manga. The last trailer gave me the impression of an accident causing turmoil.

So Dragon Type=Cool Type is the Offiical GaneFreak Logic now...

We’ve known that since early gens when they went overboard with psychic and dragon Pokémon. Believe I heard Gamefreak say about those being their fav types many years back in an interview so it’s nothing new.

Dragon/psychic pokemon...
Ultra necrozma is atleast much better then Latios and Latias that got screwed up with those mega forms... and signature moves... both have levitate both psychic/dragon...
what are their diffrences actually? light screen/reflect?trick room/wonder room/gravity?rain dance/sunnyday?
Wierd that they focus on power boosting abilities and weird immunities for them... but dindt think of something more appealing... lets hope next generation bring us maybe weaker psychic/dragons but with better abilities maybe with immunities or something that kind.

Zeraora is rather interesting , but would be more if that Plazma move would affect normal and fighting moves.
could have gotten that secondary dark or fighting typing atleast after all this generations but maybe it will get in future a form change?
They have really created a nice cat-like pokemon but what not with a good secondary typing? maybe they plan megas or form changes for future generations and events already?

interesting that Inceneroar has dark type, U.Necrozma and Solgaleo have psychic typing? and incineroar fire and solgaleo steel? interesting that Pyroar fire/normal? nicely mastered the tiger and lion relations through out generations till now even with speed/legendary diffrences.

The pokemon who learn it could really need it.
I think it should.
It can now make target get confuse 20% chance,
Bounce has a 30% chance of paralizyng the foe.
one destroyes only objects in the background
the other blocks oponets sleep or wakes it up, works for 3 turns but if its a ghost or has soundproof it ends????
(this making it ending was not necessary, that was interesting in switches)

create me a not legendary dragon/psychic line with small pokemon that would have ability to be immune to all the oponents moves that are being in the same time boosted in power by the oponets abilities (sheer force, huge power, pure power, swarm, blaze, torrent, iron fist, overgrow, adaptability, analalytic, water bubble, tough claws, berserker)
-when oponet uses a water move and torrent is activated the moves is blocked
- mach punch used by a iron fist user is blocked by this ability

and some more other pokemon type combos with this kind of ability.

Last edited:
I wonder why the USUM event is continuing today. There is really only so much to talk about...

I'm rather dreading the idea of Masuda directing the next games. Not that I'm a fan of Ohmori's or anything, but I was hoping to see the last of Masuda in a directorial role.

Honestly, I'd still rather see Masuda as the director of the Switch game over Ohmori. The Alola games as a whole just left a bad taste for me, so I'd rather not see Ohmori as the director for the Switch game. However, unlikely as it is, ideally I would like either Morimoto or Unno to be the lead directors since they are responsible for HGSS and BW2 respectively, which are the 2 best games imo.

I prefer SM to XY by quite a bit, but BW were probably better than both even with the Pokedex. And I guess that Masuda is bound to influence every game until he really retires (as a company director).

I've seen claims that Masuda said he'd stepped down from game direction for good, but I've yet to find any source.

I can't see Ohmori developing consecutive games, though. Someone needs to have been planning for the next generation, and that's unlikely to be the director of the first Switch entries. Although I suppose Masuda could do the planning and then Ohmori would take charge, which is what happened in the transition from ORAS to SM. It just doesn't seem very ideal.

Last edited:
hope they did learn from mistakes and wins of previous games that old and new fans will get the right amount of satisfaction.
Masuda or Ohmori both showed that they can do somethings right.

There are more people working on it then the directors.

But for sake of anime and games, give us 8 gym system and the League back.
But call them not "gyms", there are so many synonyms for them.

Honestly, I'd still rather see Masuda as the director of the Switch game over Ohmori. The Alola games as a whole just left a bad taste for me, so I'd rather not see Ohmori as the director for the Switch game. However, unlikely as it is, ideally I would like either Morimoto or Unno to be the lead directors since they are responsible for HGSS and BW2 respectively, which are the 2 best games imo.
I agree soooo much with all this!

It's kinda interesting how Corocoro will still be covering M21 and Zeraora stuff clear into June. The reason I'm saying this is because if the Switch game is announced and covered at E3, as far as hype goes it would overshadow Zeraora's potential Z-move when we get the inevitable English trailer that shows off the Z-move.

I'm not saying that's a bad or good thing, I'm... just sayin'.

There doesn't appear to be a Z-move anymore, and CoroCoro had to juggle XY/SM coverage with little tidbits about the Genesect/Volcanion movies (mostly just the manga).

@Desdar300 I asked Joe about that page you translated, and he said it doesn't hint at anything. Since the page number is 51 which seems to be before the Plasma Fists page, I think he's right.

What would be the point?
Ahh good to know then.
However I am still expecting a scoop on the movie since they haven't really talked about it much

Last year they promised a scoop on Marshadow in the following month, which turned out to be its Z-move and distribution. But now they're treating Plasma Fists as big enough in its own right.

They could always give a serial code for Eevee (as they did for Ho-Oh) and give it some special moves to make using it more worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom