• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That bet wouldn't have been made if he'd known about a May announcement.
The bet could have been made just so he could draw hints without writing them. Anyway I think he doesn't know the date of the announcement at all... he said he didn't.

That rumor's actually on this thread-it's "Anonymous Leaker (August 2017)" in the unconfirmed pile.

There's a lot in it that really doesn't make sense IMO. The names, for starters- Infra Red and Ultra Violet? Why take only "Red" out of the original RGB titles? Why take "Ultra" as half of a title when we just got Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon?

• and features a redesigned Red and a new blonde girl who retcons Leaf from canon
  • Your rival is a Gary/Blue clone who's gender matches yours
It doesn't make much sense to suddenly change Red and Blue when we just met them in Gen 7. And there's not much sense in "retconning Leaf from canon" when Leaf was never even seen outside of FRLG. (nor was she ever even given the name Leaf officially-that's a fan designator) Besides, the past two gens have had character customization as a major feature-are they really going to go against that now?
Postgame features the Orange Islands and the 4 Alola Islands (Which are retconned to be part of the Orange Islands)
This doesn't make sense in-universe or out. In SuMo, they specifically say Kanto is a good distance away from Alola, and in real life, Kanto (an actual region in Japan) is pretty far away from Hawaii. (The number of times "retcon" has been used is also quite odd, especially when it's retconning the most recent games, where changes would likely be noticed)
Team rocket is much more of a threat, their goal now is to clone Mew who is now retconned into a Pokemon from Ultra Space (more like Cosmog than the other UBs) and create Mewtwo
So, Mew is just now being retconned into a Pokemon from Ultra Space, despite the fact that we just had games dedicated to Ultra Space that gave Mew a new Z-Move, a perfect time to retcon this? And Team Rocket is now trying to create Mewtwo, as opposed to now, when their leader actually has a Mewtwo, and this makes them more of a threat?

And on top of all of this-notice how much the leaker's info is so dedicated to the anime. (All anime locations are canon, characters act more like they do in the anime, alternate forms in the anime exist, and so on) That's not something that's ever really been the case, not even with Pokemon Yellow, so it's quite odd that they're making all these references now when the anime is nearly twenty years old.

I'd heard it was always just a rumor/tech demo, but this article published after Ultra SuMo were released says otherwise:

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2017-12-15-so-what-happened-with-pokemon-stars
Eurogamer was also the source of the Pokemon Stars rumor. The article may make the story more believable, but if Eurogamer's still the only source claiming Stars exists, it's not really made credible.

Last edited:
Well, it's pretty clear that the Red/Pikachu and Blue/Eevee tweets imply a return to Kanto, so there's that at least. But it's hardly a unique expectation at this point.

Its weird because Pixelpars tweets for non pokemon things are not vague, are on point and everything gets leaked 100% way before official reveals, but for pokemon stuff its always vague and oblivious as to what the nature of the topic is. Maybe he doesnt actually have any pokemon info, maybe no one does lol Even joe seems to talk like hes holding some great pokemon secrets in resetera lol

I think we've been shanghaied by these fakers ever since last year. Nothing that we've been told by anyone is real. Not a single one. If it was, we would've seen the game by now, but we haven't. They've all fed us nonsense. The only thing I know is real is the blasted fiscal report.

Well HGSS adding new elements to Silvers story and giving a proper backstory changed everything we knew about him and Giovanni.compared to GSC. That was a fairly big deal at the time. That and the introduction of both Hoenn's and the multiverse were pretty big deals.

Well HGSS adding new elements to Silvers story and giving a proper backstory changed everything we knew about him and Giovanni.compared to GSC. That was a fairly big deal at the time. That and the introduction of both Hoenn's and the multiverse were pretty big deals.
Retconning isn't just adding new information that wasn't known before-it's when a story changes information that was previously true in the past. Silver's relationship wasn't retconning, because we had no information that contradicted what was known about him. If we had been told in GSC that Silver had a family in Mahogany Town, for example, and that family was written out and replaced with Giovanni, that would be retconning.

Retconning would be the way FRLG and HGSS treated eggs and Steel (which were said to be a new discovery in GSC), but nowadays we handwave that kind of thing as multiverse shenanigans. Technically, the rumor would fall under that, but it's hardly believable due to the anime focus alone.

Retconning isn't just adding new information that wasn't known before-it's when a story changes information that was previously true in the past. Silver's relationship wasn't retconning, because we had no information that contradicted what was known about him. If we had been told in GSC that Silver had a family in Mahogany Town, for example, and that family was written out and replaced with Giovanni, that would be retconning.

I just used the google's translation of what the word meant and it stated just adding new info to an existing story. Even still, the comment below mine showcases Gamefreak have retconned before.

why do I have a feeling we are getting a remake of Pokemon Yellow instead? Like yeah Pokemon Yellow was my first game but I would rather start with one of the Kanto starters rather than Pikachu.

Pokemon retcons things all the time. New pokemon, New evo states, new types, Breeding, natures, abilities, forms, gender differences, Megas, Z Moves. And that is all besides inserting some of these aspects into regions that didn't have them before, and counteracting their own statements of recent discoveries. Some of the things about how pokemon are treated by the dex now contradict how they were treated earlier in terms of gender unique forms, and even giving them different moves, but now they're counted as the same dex entry when earlier ones weren't. Some of their retcons don't even make sense, such as the Ancientpower evolution fiasco. Others just seem like they've been outmoded by the passage of time. If these things always existed, why are the mechanics of the game still acting as if they were an add on?

Stop trying to avoid the retcons. You already made them, even though you say you didn't.

Unless they do what XD Gale of Darkness did with Eevee as a starter and give Evolutionary items fairly early on, Eevee would be an extremely piss poor starter especially in Kanto. I don't want 3 Badges and a lv 30 + Eevee before I get to evolve it missing out on all the important early elemental moves.

That's asking for a tad too much.
Untill it happens eevee just feels incomplete to me. I guess if they add just dragon and only dragon id be ok too, since then its only the "special" types and it completes the set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom