• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who's freaking out? My post was a calm reminder that it is a kids game, that we can all enjoy and that the names seeming childish is no reason to not like the game.
People who are sick of Kanto, people who don't want the franchise to be casualized, and people who think that this is underwhelming for the first home console Pokemon game. I fit in all 3 categories.

As far as the naming goes, I really don't see why it being childish is a bad thing. Did we not all start playing these games as children? I know I did, 6 years old fire red. Most people did, maybe at oldest in their teens (talking early teens too, like 12-14) the games are fundementally made for children it's marketed as such. Of course GF acknowledge the older player base, but the games aren't made for us, we can enjoy them too if we chose, but they're made with kids in mind. Altough I don't see why gf should make the games to easy for them either, I beat fire red when I was 6 most kids didn't have a problem with kanto (only sinnoh that I'm aware of)

Kids 6-12 haven't played through kanto it's new to them same with the last remake in hoenn and soon the next remake in sinnoh. Once again we're a second thought, which is why remakes still do well nostalgia for the older players, new experience for younger players, like me with fire red. GF of course wouldn't come out and say Pokemons only for kids, and it's not, but the mind set going in is a kid friendly game. We've chosen to make peace with that, we shouldn't be demanding Pokemon: dark souls version.

All of this, TBH, I literally don't see why the names of the games matter

Do you really see a reboot of Yellow being treated as a spin-off game?

Could be, who's to say they can't use Yellow as inspiration for a side-game? Depends how it potentially ends up playing out~

It might alienate older players who think that the titles are too childish. That, and they don't even fit any of the main series naming conventions. They, in my opinion, sound like spinoff titles.

........Okaayyy, but when X and Y came out, they dropped the "Version" from the titles and that didn't alienate anyone~ Pretty sure if you just omit the "Let's Go", they are pretty much conventionally named Pokemon titles

So what do we all think of the lapras leak now? Maybe a beta version of the game in testing I'm still assuming

Yeah. The names imply that the games will be more light-hearted and kid friendly than any of the other main series games.
Yeah, they're already at a disadvantage for me by most likely being Kanto games, so the childish vibe does not help one bit. If it does excessive hand-holding and tosses in an annoying mascot partner to boot, then I'll gladly pass on these titles and hope the next ones to come along are eons better.

Hopefully with new eons too. ;)

Could be, who's to say they can't use Yellow as inspiration for a side-game? Depends how it potentially ends up playing out~

........Okaayyy, but when X and Y came out, they dropped the "Version" from the titles and that didn't alienate anyone~ Pretty sure if you just omit the "Let's Go", they are pretty much conventionally named Pokemon titles
Except naming the games after the Pokemon themselves is a bit weird. Pokemon always names their main series titles after various concepts, be it colors, metals, precious stones, geometric axes, astrological bodies, etc.
Yeah, they're already at a disadvantage for me by most likely being Kanto games, so the childish vibe does not help one bit. If it does excessive hand-holding and tosses in an annoying mascot partner to boot, then I'll gladly pass on these titles and hope the next ones to come along are eons better.

Hopefully with new eons too. ;)
It looks like the game will be exactly what you're saying. And, I don't like that.

Except naming the games after the Pokemon themselves is a bit weird. Pokemon always names their main series titles after various concepts, be it colors, metals, precious stones, geometric axes, astrological bodies, etc..

The fact that you have provided this many examples of "things" Pokemon have used as title names (things that are in no way correlated to each other), I'm thinking naming them after a Pokemon, would not be the weirdest thing in the world, but that's just me

I know I said I'd hold my thoughts until later, but since the thread is open, I'll go for it.

I've been vehemently anti-Kanto for the longest, yet surprisingly I really wouldn't be that bothered if these rumors were true and this is indeed a Yellow reboot. But I feel like the only reason for that is because I personally never played Yellow so it would still be something new to me. That said, there's one HUGE question and worry I have. If these games are in Kanto, will only Kanto Pokemon be available in the main story? Now, I feel like 99% sure that would be a "no" for the mere fact that I feel there's no way they'd give us Eevee as a starter and not give us access to all of the Eeveelutions. That said, I'm still super worried. I'd be really upset if they took us back to boring old Kanto and then gave us only access to it's boring roster of Pokemon.

Yeah. The names imply that the games will be more light-hearted and kid friendly than any of the other main series games.

I mean the entire series has always been for kids, even after replaying gens 1-3 recently, it’s clear that Pokémon has always remained at that basic level. Theme wise it took a very very long time to mature and use more complex themes even then its basic compared to every generic JRPG hame.

That's not really a good comparison because "version" doesn't mean anything and is kind of a redundant word after the title. "Let's Go Pikachu" does give a childish or spin-off vibe, though, that makes it not feel like a serious main series title. Admittedly, it doesn't matter too much if the content isn't dumbed down, but at the moment it does feel like it might be. Whether or not it is, remains to be seen.

I honestly just dread being stuck with another Cosmog. If we get walking pokemon, I'd like to choose what pokemon walks with me and not have it involved in any cut scenes. Just stay in your bag, Nebby, and let us never speak of you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom