• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't we been hearing "next week for sure" for a reveal for the past 6 months? I'd say we've been morr than patient.

Yeah, everyday can be a Direct announcement as well.
At least now we have some credible logo that matches every piece of merchandising, Pixelpar stuff being real + the most important thing: the websites registered.

I guess now it is really a matter of time, but is rather soonish than later ^^

I wonder if these new games are in the yellow universe or not, because I'm pretty sure Jessie and James exist in yellow but they are not considered canon in the games. Will this remake/sequel use the original pokemon yellow anime-like universe or keep the red/blue one?

So anyone else think at this point that the "reboot" rumor wasn't meant as a reboot for the franchise but just a reboot for Pokemon Yellow? Because I can imagine that, while this game will probably be close to being a Yellow remake in concept (mostly just with... Pikachu following you and it being Kanto and all), that it will probably have much less of the anime's influence this time. Especially with custom trainers trending lately over being stuck with Ash as our player character. Plus we're so far from Ash's original Kanto journey that the anime references we had in Yellow just wouldn't make sense anymore.

That or "reboot" is just referring to a return to Kanto that isn't a traditional remake.

Let's say the rumors are true and this is a Yellow remake. They could also easily set it in the new movie universe. You either play as Ash or that girl with the highlights and the Eevee. They could also go the ORAS route and just not have customizations for this particular game.

Here's something neat I've seen pointed out by RuffledRowlit: A performance evaluation of Team Rocket grunts, which ties into the Pokemon.com takeover by Team Rocket (an April's Fools hoax). Most of it is boring, but there are two notable things:

1. The screenshots are all from Yellow.

2. Jessie and James are praised for their activities.

3. The workers will be "re-evaluated in another 20 years."

20 years is probably a reference to Yellow's 20th anniversary, but this may imply that Jessie and James will return and 20 years will have passed in-game.

Not gonna lie, I thought this was kind of suspicious too. Seeing Jessie and James in 3D on the Switch would be pretty cool, I've never played the original Yellow either.

I have a question for y'all... which rumor was it that said the games would have a mashup of games, anime, and manga content?

I have a question for y'all... which rumor was it that said the games would have a mashup of games, anime, and manga content?
That was the Pokemon Indigo rumor, listed as YouTube Leak (December 2017) in the OP. It's almost certainly fake, given these other quotes:
Set in the region of "Indigo" which includes Kanto, Johto, the Sevii Islands and some never before seen areas including a frozen tundra in west Johto.
Voice acting will be featured but it will be gibberish, the Pokémon however will now say their own names like in the anime
Regarding the legendary Pokémon, all of them will be connected to Mew
Natures now change on their own randomly, but can be influenced by interactions and items
Mega Evolution doesn't return, neither does the PWT, HMs, or Pokeride

I wonder if these new games are in the yellow universe or not, because I'm pretty sure Jessie and James exist in yellow but they are not considered canon in the games. Will this remake/sequel use the original pokemon yellow anime-like universe or keep the red/blue one?
Too early to say I think, I wouldn't be surprised if it is a Hard Reboot of Yellow though, however I personally hope LGP/E takes place within the current Canon, but what'll also be interesting is when the games take place if they choose to go such a route, they could go for a reboot of the Kanto games or maybe it'll be your own adventure.

If it isn't a Reboot of Yellow, I certainly hope it's a story with new Protagonists over a retelling of Red's story, which I think would be more interesting and wouldn't mess with the Canon if they have Z Crystals and more recent additions to the games, as they were seemingly a new thing to Blue in Gen VII if Sampson's dialogue is anything to go by, but if the game is set, say around around the same time, if not later than, Gen VII and have a new Protagonist they could incorporate such things without issue, but we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Yeah those are anime creations and not Gamefreak

What is a reboot? What's the difference between a reboot and a remake? I don't understand.

What is a reboot? What's the difference between a reboot and a remake? I don't understand.

reboot would be discarding any established continuity and starting fresh, effectively starting over

remake would just be them making the same game again but with updated graphics, enhancements, with other possible changes

reboot would be discarding any established continuity and starting fresh, effectively starting over

remake would just be them making the same game again but with updated graphics, enhancements, with other possible changes
Then what relation would a reboot still have to the original game if it's totally different?

Then what relation would a reboot still have to the original game if it's totally different?

that's what makes the whole "yellow reboot" thing confusing imo

I personally just interpreted "reboot" in this context, as starting over from Kanto but with a new continuity moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom