• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's what makes the whole "yellow reboot" thing confusing imo

I personally just interpreted "reboot" in this context, as starting over from Kanto but with a new continuity moving forward.
I feel like being a reboot of Yellow conceptually makes the most sense to me... the games have little in way of continuity between them, save for maybe a vague overarching Giovanni plot that you could easily forget was even there, so it wouldn't be particularly notable if they dropped it and started over.

Meanwhile, if it's just a reboot of Yellow's concept, it would be taking the same basic premise of traveling through Kanto with a companion pokemon outside of their pokeball (now instead of just Pikachu, we get either Pikachu or Eevee) without the anime references of where we obtain Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle, and not having anime NPCs like Jessie, James, Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny. Essentially just taking Yellow and chopping out the anime references, maybe giving it an all new plot... which would make it rather far from being a Yellow remake, for sure.

I feel like being a reboot of Yellow conceptually makes the most sense to me... the games have little in way of continuity between them, save for maybe a vague overarching Giovanni plot that you could easily forget was even there, so it wouldn't be particularly notable if they dropped it and started over.

Meanwhile, if it's just a reboot of Yellow's concept, it would be taking the same basic premise of traveling through Kanto with a companion pokemon outside of their pokeball (now instead of just Pikachu, we get either Pikachu or Eevee) without the anime references of where we obtain Bulbasaur, Charmander and Squirtle, and not having anime NPCs like Jessie, James, Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny. Essentially just taking Yellow and chopping out the anime references, maybe giving it an all new plot... which would make it rather far from being a Yellow remake, for sure.

When you put it like that, it actually does make a lot of sense.

I think the 5/22 is more important since you can actually manipulate when you place incense
It's community day, though- hence the two charmanders. XD I'm pretty sure it's just a picture he took during the event because their position amused him, not as any sort of hint. Doubt he'd waste his incense and lucky egg during those three hours just to make a vague hint that would require him to take a screenshot at a specific second.

It's community day, though- hence the two charmanders. XD I'm pretty sure it's just a picture he took during the event because their position amused him, not as any sort of hint. Doubt he'd waste his incense and lucky egg during those three hours just to make a vague hint that would require him to take a screenshot at a specific second.
He is walking with an eevee and the time says 5:22
This can't be a simple coincidence

rewatching the gameinformer interview with Masuda/Ohmori in light of recent events gives me faith tbh

another interesting thing is when asked if the transition to the switch was similar to the hardware jumps they're used to, Masuda responded that it's a big difference. I was expecting gamefreak to simply treat the switch as another handheld so that stood out to me, maybe the games will be more ambitious than expected. Perhaps such a drastic change for them is why we're getting something seemingly completely different than we have in the past

Attachments

• masuda.png
    masuda.png
    742.3 KB · Views: 61
It seems my sarcasm didnt get through...
But yeah, I think in this case, since it is 5 min, 22/29 sec, I think the times are arbitrary and don't mean anything. You don't have to look deep into everything he posts, in this instance he just probably wanted to share the Charmanders holding hands

Reboot could just as well be referring to the mechanics of how the games work. If it's suppose to integrate Pokemon Go in some sense, then expect an overhaul of some kind.

Story-wise, I think that a sequel is likely honestly. We already know what older Red/Blue look like any who, unless this is set in some alternate universe. I don't think we really need to retread Yellow in updated graphics, nor remove the anime references as that takes away what made it unique to begin with.

Reboot could just as well be referring to the mechanics of how the games work. If it's suppose to integrate Pokemon Go in some sense, then expect an overhaul of some kind.

Story-wise, I think that a sequel is likely honestly. We already know what older Red/Blue look like any who, unless this is set in some alternate universe. I don't think we really need to retread Yellow in updated graphics, nor remove the anime references as that takes away what made it unique to begin with.
It would be hard to make anime references now, though, since Ash hasn't traveled through Kanto in awhile- so the only references to be made are old ones that many young players wouldn't be familiar with. Plus Red/Blue weren't present in Yellow, so if it was a sequel of that sort- the anime references would be misplaced. Yellow pretty much was an alternate universe to Red and Blue... the anime universe.

I don't know why but for some reason i'm happy it's a yellow reboot and not a red and blue reboot
Mabye Its how bored I got of the kanto starters

that's what makes the whole "yellow reboot" thing confusing imo

I personally just interpreted "reboot" in this context, as starting over from Kanto but with a new continuity moving forward.
I still don't get it, but thanks for explaining anyway. If there really is going to be a Yellow reboot we'll find out while playing.

It would be hard to make anime references now, though, since Ash hasn't traveled through Kanto in awhile- so the only references to be made are old ones that many young players wouldn't be familiar with. Plus Red/Blue weren't present in Yellow, so if it was a sequel of that sort- the anime references would be misplaced. Yellow pretty much was an alternate universe to Red and Blue... the anime universe.

Well, if it were a sequel set 20 yrs into the future, would it not still count as a Yellow reboot of sorts? Young players probably didn't recognize all the references in Episode Rainbow of USUM, either. They may not be the Red/Blue from S/M, but the characters are still close enough. Ash & Gary are still just different versions of the same characters.

I think this is partly what lends credence to that idea of tradition/progress theme in the rumors. There is a balancing act going on between older players from the 90s era, and newer players of today.

It seems my sarcasm didnt get through...
But yeah, I think in this case, since it is 5 min, 22/29 sec, I think the times are arbitrary and don't mean anything. You don't have to look deep into everything he posts, in this instance he just probably wanted to share the Charmanders holding hands
You're right, the text says something like: "There were Charmander friends in Kyōto (lol)" To me this tweet is a bit too cryptic to be a hint. It's not like Masuda spends all his time thinking about sneaky ways to provide his followers with small amounts of information no one is even guarenteed to pick up on.

I think this is partly what lends credence to that idea of tradition/progress theme in the rumors.
Those rumours originate from Plus/Minus, you can check out its Details on Page 1, it promised a New Region based on South East Asia with new teams and all that, LGP/E likely isn't going to focus on those themes and to my knowledge nothing/no one with any credibility has suggested they will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom