• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
since i don't think a direct will be on friday, so..
zero-budget-marketing-52-638.jpg

There's always a first time for anything.
Nintendo of America weirdly still hasn't tweeted.(they always do a tweet at 10 am)
And Pokémon hasn't tweeted since Monday!

Man, feels so much better if you don‘t hope or expect something to happen. I also can‘t remember where i expected an announcement for a day and it really happened on that day, so it always comes then you don‘t expect it. I won‘t look in to it till it comes, better than getting dissapointed week for week.

Darn! Better luck next time, friends. :)

Just curious: what do you think about Ash-Greninja?

It’s weird - I think it could have been neat within the context of Mega Evolutions, as a kind of “exception to the rule.” The transformation is slightly more potent in terms of its raw stat increase, and it occurs more naturally than Mega Evolutions which require extra tools (Mega Stones and Key Stones) to achieve. Especially since Gen 7’s Pokédex entries for the Mega Evolutions seem to have drafted in the anime’s idea that ME isn’t exactly a comfortable process (presumably that’s why it requires a strong bond, in order to stabilize it), you could have had a bit of a story about what exactly Mega Evolution is, in nature. That is to say, why does it even exist? Why do these select Pokémon have that potential, but not others? Something like the Battle Bond would open up another avenue in that narrative: Why are these Pokémon able to Mega Evolve naturally, whereas others need Mega Stones?

However, in order to do all of that, you’d need another game and probably a lot more Battle Bond users than just Greninja (include the two other Kalos Starters, at the very least). And to be quite honest, I think even those possible ideas are only very loosely intriguing. So I’m not quite saying it’s what they “should” have done or anything, I’m just saying that the general concept behind Ash-Greninja isn’t without potential.

But of course, the reality is that Ash-Greninja was just an anime conceit that the games borrowed to serve as a download incentive. Its entire existence is cynical. So I kinda just don’t even think about it or consider it canonical, much like the Cap Pikachu variants.

Honestly, if there needs to be some sort of universal form change, it would be better if it were permanent. That's what I liked about Giratina and Kyurem in the first place, it was easier to build a moveset around them because you would exactly know how their stats are. Deoxys is another Pokemon that was able to go about it just fine without needing some temporary form change.

Maybe, but from a gameplay perspective I think that poses a danger of being too limiting or monotonous. I think they had a decent idea, which was to create a power-up mechanic with certain drawbacks that you could activate at a chosen moment during battle rather than having to wait on an automated trigger. The end result was probably too unbalanced and it’s kinda boring in terms of worldbuilding and character (although I do think it fits the overarching themes of the Kalos games very well, not that that’s worth much in the long run), but at least it shows that they’re still able to try new things and experiment with new battling options, rather than sticking to them same singular concept forever.

That being said, there was a clear design flaw with Mega Evolution in that most people ended up activating it right away at the start of the battle, whereas Masuda indicated in an early interview that he was hoping it would be used as more of a last resort, “when your back’s against the wall” kind of thing. Which I suspect they took notice of and may be part of what led to the development of Z-Moves (which, personally, I greatly prefer over Megas).

Last edited:
How would you react if the games weren't announced and the "one last thing" fif the E3 direct was the mainline Fire Emblem game?

Even if nothing happens, it's fun to have something to look forward to every day. We can all get disappointed, laugh it off together and start looking forward to tomorrow again.
NOTHING EVER HAPPENS IT'S THE SAME THING ALL THE TIME JUST END IT
flat,800x800,070,f.jpg

EDIT: STILL NOTHING FROM NINTENDO OR POKEMON TWITTER

NOTHING EVER HAPPENS IT'S THE SAME THING ALL THE TIME JUST END ITView attachment 110263
EDIT: STILL NOTHING FROM NINTENDO OR POKEMON TWITTER

Not to worry. If you think about time from a nonlinear, nonsubjective point of view, the game is already out. In fact, it’s already old news. In fact, I’m already dead, and the sun has already perished. :cool:

Or, they could be saving the Pokemon announcement to tease what Nintendo has been secretly planning all along: A Nintendo Kart Switch Deluxe HD 4K with Funky Kong mode!:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom