• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those scrapped designs were only unveiled because of that manga about Satoshi Tajiri's life that was recently released.

Yokai Watch mainly orients itself around various Japanese traditional religions.

Which is exactly why it is more spiritually offensive than Pokémon. In scripture harnessing any sort of spiritual power than isn’t from the Judeo Christian God is seen as evil.

Actually, she went to Kanto for a bit at the end of the SuMo.
In the world of USUM, she didn't. Gladion left instead and he would later return to Alola.
Which is exactly why it is more spiritually offensive than Pokémon. In scripture harnessing any sort of spiritual power than isn’t from the Judeo Christian God is seen as evil.
Yokai Watch is also obscure outside of Japan. That certainly helped it avoid controversy.

Are you sure?

main-qimg-03e40c368381c329195a9b4622ba3f28-c

Because you'd have to be blind to not see the inspiration here if you had. Also, Giratina is the "Rebellion Pokemon" banished to its own little world by Arceus. I'm not arguing that Giratina is literally satan here, just an inspired loose "archetype". I'm not arguing for Gorochu's legitimacy, either.

Just saying that Oni demons from a separate belief system should in no way offend any Christians, especially when GF has been demonstratively more transparent on such topics in the past.

Giratina is not supposed to be Satan specifically, there are plenty of myths of supernatural tricksters or ruffians causing problems for a deity or a group of deities.

Giratina probbably has more in common with the Japanese storm god Susanoo if anything since Susanoo got expelled by the King of the Heavens to the spirit world after causing trouble on Earth, and the Distortion World is implied in the Japanese original to actually be the spirit world.

Arceus is almost certainly not based on the Judeo-Christian god, he appears to be literally just a generic creation deity rather than based on any mythical beings in particular.

Well then I guess its do or die time for this suppose announcement coming in the last couple days in May we'll see how tomorrow goes.

Giratina is not supposed to be Satan specifically, there are plenty of myths of supernatural tricksters or ruffians causing problems for a deity or a group of deities.

Giratina probbably has more in common with the Japanese storm god Susanoo if anything since Susanoo got expelled by the King of the Heavens to the spirit world after causing trouble on Earth, and the Distortion World is implied in the Japanese original to actually be the spirit world.

Arceus is almost certainly not based on the Judeo-Christian god, he appears to be literally just a generic creation deity rather than based on any mythical beings in particular.

Oh, I don't disagree, that may be the actual inspiration as Giratina does functions similarly to death gods such as Hades (Greek) and Yomi (Japanese). I'm just saying that thematically it is closer in function to that archetype than a hypothetical "Gorochu" could ever be.

In any case, most in America would likely know far less about Susanoo than Lucifer, and draw connections with Giratina based on that, which is exactly what fans did. We've somehow managed to scrape by for 4 gens after, so I think a horny Pikachu won't be an issue, either.

Last edited:
Yokai Watch is also obscure outside of Japan. That certainly helped it avoid controversy.

If little kids are playing with Yokai Watch toys in a small country community in South Carolina it’s definitely not obscure. It’s sold in Walmart
, it has syndication on American TV. Just because it’s not on Pokemon’s Level of success that doesn’t mean it’s some cult classic.

And my original point still stands. I can promise you a fanged pikachu with horns isn’t going to cause much a stir amongst Christians.

If little kids are playing with Yokai Watch toys in a small country community in South Carolina it’s definitely not obscure. It’s sold in Walmart
, it has syndication on American TV. Just because it’s not on Pokemon’s Level of success that doesn’t mean it’s some cult classic.

And my original point still stands. I can promise you a fanged pikachu with horns isn’t going to cause much a stir amongst Christians.
Yokai Watch wasn't as successful internationally as it was in Japan. The franchise is in a decline and it is much less of a threat to Pokemon now then before.
Gorochu wasn't.It was randomly brought up,way before the manga.
But, that doesn't mean that it will become an official Pokemon.

Yeah, like 20 years ago. Those accusations died since then.

Also, we’ve had pokemon like Giratina and Hydreigon portrayed as evil, and have similarities with what most people consider “the devil”. Christians didn’t get offended by those, they won’t be offended by a an Oni-inspired Pikachu evolution.

Giratina is honestly the opposite of evil as its basically the unsung hero of Platinum since if it didn't interfere Cyrus would've won. It is aggressive and overly protective, which is why it got banished, but it's not something inherently antagonistic in any of its appearances.

Hydreigon, like a lot of Pokémon, depends on how you define evil. It's Pokedex entry gives it the impression of being destructive in nature, but it's more blind in its violence then intentionally malicious. It's basically just a wild being, and one that does have its softer and goofy moments played up in a lot of media (especially when trained).

With that said, a hypothetical Gorochu could be similar to Hydreigon in treatment though. Violent in nature, but a sweetheart under your guiding hand.

Considering what the holiday is, it may be seen as insensitive. Also, not a lot of American people will watch it because they will be busy shopping and going to BBQs.

The mascot of the franchise evolving into a Pokemon that looks like the literal devil won't go over well with the Christian community. You guys do know that the franchise has already been accused of promoting Satanism.
Maybe I'm mistaken, but Oni's are not very similar to the western idea of devils, much less THE devil. Different cultures and religious beliefs need to be respected in different ways, and if something like Gorechu comes out of japan, than what's the problem? Oni's have fangs and horns, and punish evil spirits from King Yama's judgement, and traditionally they were considered evil, but ther less like demons and more like spirits. They've also been softened up a bit culturally, with some good qualities being attributed to them like driving away evil, so they put em on buildings sometimes like gargoyles. Your also talking aabout a franchise that actively promotes evolution and things like dark types, also angering groups like peta. So 20 years after all the Christian nonsense with burning pikachs and stuff, I don't think an optional evolution beyond another optional evolution is going to bother those kinds of christians much, who are under way more fire for their intolerance now then they were 20 years ago.

Speaking religion, Kali the goddess used to be as nasty as an oni, and did all kinds of bad stuff, but her image was also softened as the years went by, and she now represents motherly stuff and destruction, looking a lot less scary. A western game like Smite got in hot water for depicting her, but an eastern game like pokemon can do what it likes with an oni. So anyway, try letting other people have opinions once and a while, huh? Sorry if that comes off strongly, but jeez.

Also, you don't know for sure if those scrapped designs will ever be used, so we're all free to choose to believe they might or might not. There's no wrong choice here.

Last edited:
Giratina is honestly the opposite of evil as its basically the unsung hero of Platinum since if it didn't interfere Cyrus would've won. It is aggressive and overly protective, which is why it got banished, but it's not something inherently antagonistic in any of its appearances.

Hydreigon, like a lot of Pokémon, depends on how you define evil. It's Pokedex entry gives it the impression of being destructive in nature, but it's more blind in its violence then intentionally malicious. It's basically just a wild being, and one that does have its softer and goofy moments played up in a lot of media (especially when trained).

With that said, a hypothetical Gorochu could be similar to Hydreigon in treatment though. Violent in nature, but a sweetheart under your guiding hand.
I wasn’t trying to imply that those 2 pokemon are evil, simply that they can be perceived as such because they’re similiar thematically to demons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom