• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll take being validated that Gen 8 is a 2019 game and call it a night. Let's Go looks like a Pokemon game but they took out what I actually like about Pokemon. I might buy them if they go on sale Pokemon games never go on sale.

Yeah... It reminds me a bit of Paper Mario Sticker Star. Thankfully, we know that GF considers the other mainline Pokemon games to be a different experience and want to continue that with the game next year.

However, these games are just so mediocre, I can't get over it. At least have wild Pokemon battles, at least have Pokemon from later generations, at least have online. Geez. Like those are the bare minimum, and they have not been met.

This is from an Q&A with gamefreak, so yeah it is confirmed to be main series. But we all know, for us they will be spin-offs.

Can we really consider them as core series titles if they don't connect to things such as other core series games and Pokémon Bank? Of course it is too early to tell at this point, but if this game connects to GO, but doesn't connect to Pokémon Bank or Gen VIII when it is released next year, then there's no reason to consider it a main series title.

but no matter if you class it as a spin off game or a 'new kind of core game' it still seems to be seperate from the current core series games. At best, it is a fusion of the core series games and a spin off title, which may as well count as a spin off title itself anyway.

So basically, whether you call it a 'spin off title' or 'new core series' game, it hardly makes a difference since it still seems to be seperate from the actual core series games.

Can we really consider them as core series titles if they don't connect to things such as other core series games and Pokémon Bank? Of course it is too early to tell at this point, but if this game connects to GO, but doesn't connect to Pokémon Bank or Gen VIII when it is released next year, then there's no reason to consider it a main series title.

but no matter if you class it as a spin off game or a 'new kind of core game' it still seems to be seperate from the current core series games. At best, it is a fusion of the core series games and a spin off title, which may as well count as a spin off title itself anyway.

So basically, whether you call it a 'spin off title' or 'new core series' game, it hardly makes a difference since it still seems to be seperate from the actual core series games.
I agree with this

You know, the more I think about it, the more I'm starting to feel like LGPE games were originally tech demos designed to test new features for Gen 8. However, Game Freak decide to sell them as actual titles at the last minute. This would honestly explain a lot of things:
  • The new catching system: If these games were originally meant to just be a tech demo, then they would only need to test to the Go-like capture method instead of the standard wild battle features.
  • Only 151 Pokémon in Classic Kanto: By making LGPE take place in classic Kanto, they don't have to worry about creating a brand new layout, story, or Pokémon roster and can just focus on testing the new features.
  • Local co-op play but no online play: While multiplayer co-op is something fans have been wanting for a while now, why would a tech demo need online interaction?
  • The fact that these games aren't considered spin-off games, nor considered "remakes": If LGPE started out as tech demos for Game Freak's next core-series games, then you technically can't call them either spin-off or remakes.
So then, why would they sell us these glorified tech demos, you may ask? Well, the answer is quite simple: Game Freak is finally trying to actively gain fan feedback in regards to new features.

If this is all true, then this might have been a smart move on Game Freak's part (not necessarily the "selling them as actual games" part, but the part about them getting fan feedback in a more direct manner).

@Akira Bond Whatever kind of game it is, I think the only thing that matters is how much this game affected the development of the next game.

Considering the next games are released next year, I'd say it hasn't affected it at all. We have a year and a half until they are released, and considering the amount of time they have already spent developing them, so far, there is no reason to assume that Pokémon Let's GO is going to negatively impact Gen VIII in any way. They still have plenty of time to work on them.

You mean the wild battles? Cause that's the only thing that's changed.

Also for those complaining about Eevee and Pikachu not evolving, if you had no problem with it in yellow you really shouldn't have a problem with it here. Just a tidbit

I mean if no wild battle includes the missing 656 Pokemon, any and all online features, and any game not taking place in Kanto then sure I mean no wild battles.

Also for those complaining about Eevee and Pikachu not evolving, if you had no problem with it in yellow you really shouldn't have a problem with it here. Just a tidbit
Well, Eevee is the Eevelution Pokemon. Its most exciting and prominent feature is its ability to evolve. The choices of what to evolve your Eevee into are part of the thrill of owning one. So I think it's certainly understandable that people are not pleased.

As for Pikachu, Game Freak has always ignored Raichu, so that isn't really surprising, nor is it what I think most people are disappointed about.
_______

I'm slightly surprised that this exists, but also not. But I don't really care about whether or not these games are classified as "side games" or "main series." All I know is that I don't have enough money to get a Switch, and so far, I'm not impressed. So it is highly unlikely that I will be getting them upon release. (I may pick them up later though. As in, way later. I'll be keeping my eyes on the news to see if they add anything worthwhile.) It's just a relief to know that these aren't the start of Gen VIII and I can look forward to that instead.

Hopefully though, this means that Kanto and its infectious nostalgia will no longer invade new Pokemon generations and allow them to stand up on their own. That is really becoming tiresome, and I won't lie - I was rather exasperated to see this announcement. But as everyone else has been saying, hopefully this will allow those who prefer Gen I to have their own little corner so that we can have ours.

At least I don't have to get a Switch for another year and a half lol

Smart. I got one for Christmas last year. Mainly for Odyssey and then surely a great Nintendo lineup that would follow. Instead all I've seen are a bunch of Wii U ports, and now a mobile-influenced, casualized generation I pandering Pokemon game with HD X/Y graphics.

I'm losing faith in Nintendo, fast. After Breath of the Wild and Odyssey things were looking up... but now... Not so much.

Hopefully though, this means that Kanto and its infectious nostalgia will no longer invade new Pokemon generations and allow them to stand up on their own. That is really becoming tiresome, and I won't lie - I was rather exasperated to see this announcement. But as everyone else has been saying, hopefully this will allow those who prefer Gen I to have their own little corner so that we can have ours.
Oh for the love of Arceus I hope your right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom