• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't that kind of backwards? Actually wouldn't the switch be perfect for kids then since it technically is a mobile device?

Bolt does have a point. Kids these days are more interested in mobile devices than video game consoles.
Nothing new. It’s been like that since 2012. Minecraft is more popular with kids than Pokemon

But Pokemon still gets a big portion of kids to buy the games.

Targeting 25-35 years old who eventually will outgrow video games entirety will leave Pokemon with no fanbase.

Pokemon will always target new kids each new generation and they grow nostalgia for that generation and cycle goes on

I'm talking about mobile phones or multimedia devices. It's more the older crowd who buys dedicated video game consoles.
Still think something's wrong with that. It's hard for me to believe children would rather play shallow money grubbing games with very little content which make you pay for a little more content, then game that have more longevity, depth, frankly more fun, and more of playing with friends.

We'll see if they still feel that way when fans start leaving because Pokemon can't keep up with games like BotW
upload_2018-5-31_21-36-14.png

Current, Pokemon games are still selling millions more than BOTW-and that's being generous and including the Wii U sales. Focusing just on Switch, Pokemon has still near doubled BOTW's sales.
as they become more and more of a standard in the market.
Isn't the point of all the praise for BOTW that it isn't standard for games?
That's the thing about competition, if you don't keep up with what everyone is doing, you eventually get left in the dust.
That doesn't apply to media, where differences between products is still appealing. There's plenty of things BOTW doesn't have that are perfectly enjoyable in other games.
  • BOTW doesn't have a multiplayer option-so how is it that multiplayer games are popular?
  • BOTW doesn't feature racing-so why is Mario Kart Wii the 7th best-selling game of all time?
  • BOTW doesn't allow Link to wield a gun-so how has the Call of Duty series become so popular?
  • BOTW doesn't allow you to collect monsters and use them to battle-so how has Pokemon become so popular?
  • BOTW doesn't allow the player to customize Link beyond equipment-so why is character customization such a praised feature?

If GF were to erase a Pokémon, it probably would be Raichu.
I know it'll probably never happen, but they need to merge the Nidorans, technically erasing one or both? Because they'd technically be replaced by the One Pokémon.

I know they have different Learn-sets and Stat distribution/BST, but Meowstic has different learn-sets and hidden abilities based on its Genders and they were added in Gen VI, so ya know…GAME FREAK…it's time.

And I'm well aware people are gonna bring up how that'll reduce the 151 to 150, but they can just reorganise the Pokédex to have related Pokémon near one another so no one will ever know…I mean at least the casuals anyway and it wouldn't even be a big deal, would it
(The Pokédex)?

Well, as much as we want our least favorite Pokemon to be removed from the Pokedex *cough* I hate Glalie *cough*, it's not going to happen.

And I'm well aware people are gonna bring up how that'll reduce the 151 to 150

You know... they are adding one new Pokémon with LGPE... could this dream finally come true?

(I'm not actually being serious.)

View attachment 110566
Current, Pokemon games are still selling millions more than BOTW-and that's being generous and including the Wii U sales. Focusing just on Switch, Pokemon has still near doubled BOTW's sales.

Isn't the point of all the praise for BOTW that it isn't standard for games?

That doesn't apply to media, where differences between products is still appealing. There's plenty of things BOTW doesn't have that are perfectly enjoyable in other games.
  • BOTW doesn't have a multiplayer option-so how is it that multiplayer games are popular?
  • BOTW doesn't feature racing-so why is Mario Kart Wii the 7th best-selling game of all time?
  • BOTW doesn't allow Link to wield a gun-so how has the Call of Duty series become so popular?
  • BOTW doesn't allow you to collect monsters and use them to battle-so how has Pokemon become so popular?
  • BOTW doesn't allow the player to customize Link beyond equipment-so why is character customization such a praised feature?
He was talking about large worlds with tons of content. They appear to be one of the standards of console gaming.

We'll see if they still feel that way when fans start leaving because Pokemon can't keep up with games like BotW as they become more and more of a standard in the market. That's the thing about competition, if you don't keep up with what everyone is doing, you eventually get left in the dust. Hefty investments are pretty much a necessity to succeed in the console market.
If people are not content with what Pokémon is they can find something else no one is forcing them to stay or leave.

I've seen quite a few franchises change to copy what everyone else is doing, not because they needed more sales but rather because they wanted more sales, sales they didn't need, and in those cases things only took a turn for the worst because the franchise lost what attracted its fans in the first place because what they were copying and add was fundementaly incompatible with the core of the Franchise.

If Pokémon is to change, it must do so on its own/GAME FREAK's terms, because they see it as what's best for the franchise not simply on the whim that we or they want it to copy something else less the changes lead to detriment.

If people are not content with what Pokémon is they can find something else no one is forcing them to stay or leave.

I've seen quite a few franchises change to copy what everyone else is doing, not because they needed more sales but rather because they wanted more sales, sales they didn't need, and in those cases things only took a turn for the worst because the franchise lost what attracted its fans in the first place because what they were copying and add was fundementaly incompatible with the core of the Franchise.

If Pokémon is to change, it must do so on its own/GAME FREAK's terms, because they see it as what's best for the franchise not simply on the whim that we or they want it to copy something else less the changes lead to detriment.
You're right. Pokemon doesn't need to copy BOTW in order to be successful.

Still think something's wrong with that. It's hard for me to believe children would rather play shallow money grubbing games with very little content which make you pay for a little more content, then game that have more longevity, depth, frankly more fun, and more of playing with friends.

Sure... If they actually experience non-mobile games to begin with. The thing is that nowadays having a smart phone is quite standard, so a lot of kids/teens are going to have such a device to begin with, and they may grow an interest in trying a game on it from there. They won't understand what they're missing if mobile "F2P" games are all they have ever played.

So I'm a bit confused, since I saw somewhere that there's going to be another game next year but LGPE is being called a main line game, is Let's GO just a sort of 7.5 game or is GF considering it the next step in Pokemon? Pardon my ignorance, it's just I can't seem to find any sort of clarification (also I actually really like the idea of seeing the pokemon in the overworld and having them follow you again)

So I'm a bit confused, since I saw somewhere that there's going to be another game next year but LGPE is being called a main line game, is Let's GO just a sort of 7.5 game or is GF considering it the next step in Pokemon? Pardon my ignorance, it's just I can't seem to find any sort of clarification (also I actually really like the idea of seeing the pokemon in the overworld and having them follow you again)
Game Freak considers Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee to be mainline games, but not 'core' RPG games like Sun and Moon or the games coming next year. It's unclear whether Pokemon Go will have influence on games after the Let's Go games, but the core RPGs next year will not have Go influence, at least.

From what I’ve seen and read, it’s not 100% clear. Gamefreak doesn’t seem to see it as a spin-off, but it also doesn’t seem to fall into the same category as the core games.

Again, only major difference is pokemon in the wild. Other than that it's not that different from all the other pokemon games.

If GF were to erase a Pokémon, it probably would be Raichu.
Why do people always talk about erasing Pokemon, and talk about erasing either Raichu or Jynx so often?
If GF's erasing Raichu or Jynx, they wouldn't appear on merchandise at all.
Jynx even had a Pokemon GO advert poster all on her own during 2016.

Why do people always talk about erasing Pokemon, and talk about erasing either Raichu or Jynx so often?
If GF's erasing Raichu or Jynx, they wouldn't appear on merchandise at all.
Jynx even had a Pokemon GO advert poster all on her own during 2016.

Jynx is one of my fav pokemon from Generation 1, not only for its highly unique type combination but also for its highly unique battle properties with Lovely Kiss + Nasty Plot + Perfect Coverage but also its really nice Japanese Origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom