• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where do you purchase your Crystal Balls from?
This is just common sales knowledge. Products tend to sell better if they seek out new customers on top of their already existing customers, which is what LGPE is doing. The 2019 games will exclusively target the older, more experienced fans, at the detriment of the new players. Eventually, GF will see that Let's Go sells much more than the traditional Pokemon games, which will lead to Let's Go completely replacing the traditional main series.

This is just common sales knowledge. Products tend to sell better if they seek out new customers on top of their already existing customers, which is what LGPE is doing. The 2019 games will exclusively target the older, more experienced fans, at the detriment of the new players. Eventually, GF will see that Let's Go sells much more than the traditional Pokemon games, which will lead to Let's Go completely replacing the traditional main series.

LOL, as if new fans won't play the 2019 games. Let's Go won't outsell the traditional Main Series, nor will it replace it~

LOL, as if new fans won't play the 2019 games. Let's Go won't outsell the traditional Main Series, nor will it replace it~
GF literally said that the 2019 game is not intended as an entry game. That alone suggests that they aren't targeting new players.

GF literally said that the 2019 game is not intended as an entry game. That alone suggests that they aren't targeting new players.

Who GF is apparently targeting =/= who will buy the games. Every new generation has new people buying games. Suggesting that now people won't is ridic.

To add on to the point that the Let's Go games won't outsell the traditional main series games, gyro/motion control will be required to catch Pokemon in LGPE. This not only turn off many long time fans but will unfortunately exclude people who aren't able to play with motion controls. This results in much less sales.

To add on to the point that the Let's Go games won't outsell the traditional main series games, gyro/motion control will be required to catch Pokemon in LGPE. This not only turn off many long time fans but will unfortunately exclude people who aren't able to play with motion controls. This results in much less sales.

I don't know... Forced motion controls didn't seem to hurt the Wii's sales.

Certainly, it hurt my opinion of the console substantially, but sadly the system and its games were all a massive success. So much that I feel like it's lucky that Nintendo has downplayed the features in the Wii U and beyond.

Except people who can't use motion controls are a minority.

Well, those game attracted new players who made up the bulk of those sales. The 2019 game was outright stated to not be an entry game, meaning that it won't attract new players.

New people will pick it up regardless because it’s Pokémon and Switch. Pokémon is also an extremely simple game to pick up using the traditional JRPG elemental weaknesses for monsters. Can guarantee we will still see new people picking it up.

Let's Go won't outsell the traditional Main Series,
I don’t know, Pokemon Go had 750 million downloads, and this game is specificly targeting those people. If even 2.5% of those people bought Let’s Go they already have 20 million sales, more than any main series game since Gold/Silver.

I don’t know, Pokemon Go had 750 million downloads, and this game is specificly targeting those people. If even 2.5% of those people bought Let’s Go they already have 20 million sales, more than any main series game since Gold/Silver.

I’m actually convinced it will, Gens 5-7 have all sold roughly the same over a period of time, given that amazon stock for the game has sold out already + the huge Pokémon go consumer base, I’m expecting these to sell a lot more than the average Pokémon game. Would be surprised if they don’t make 17 million or so.

An app that literally anyone can download for free, and a good half don't even still play anymore. Anyone can download an app and still have no interest in shelling out 60 dollars for a full game + the cost of a Switch

An app that literally anyone can download for free, and a good half don't even still play anymore. Anyone can download an app and still have no interest in shelling out 60 dollars for a full game + the cost of a Switch
Which is why i said 2.5%.

They literally only need a tiny fraction of Go’s downloads and they’ll outsell every mainline game from the past 18 years.

Hard Reboots are defined by story, not by Characters nor Concepts, you can keep everything or nothing, but a Reboot is defined by story alone, if Remakes replace the story of previous titles, they are Hard Reboots, because they Hard Reboot the stories that have been told in order to tell there own.

Look at J.J. Abrams' Star Trek movies, they have many familiar Characters, concepts and locations, but they are Hard Reboots, because the stories that previously existed in the universe, no longer do for the sake of the story they intend to tell.

New Generations are Soft Reboots because they are new stories within a preexisting universe without being sequels, Remakes such as ORAS are Hard Reboots because they are replacing a preexisting story, if I scrap many concepts and characters but tell the same story, this is a retelling, if I scrap everything, concepts, characters and story alike, this is a reinvention not a reboot as reboots must retain some semblance of what is being rebooted.
Whenever people refer to a "hard reboot" they put it in the scope of the entire Pokemon franchise. You can get technical and say that remakes reboot their respective region and story, but they don't reboot the franchise, which is what I was referring to. Since this is all apparently subjective, I'll define my "degrees of a reboot" in terms of the franchise:

Soft Reboot = Acknowledges that much content exists, but chooses to ignore most of it. Ruby & Sapphire and Black & White fall into this category, since RS didn't build upon the established Kanto-Johto vision, while Black & White threw all Pokemon introduced up until that point out of the window until the post-game.

Hard Reboot = New region, new characters, new Pokemon, no previous Pokemon available whatsoever, and no ability to transfer Pokemon from previous generations into the game; nothing prior exists.

With this in mind, X & Y and Sun & Moon aren't really soft reboots, since they do acknowledge Pokemon's past and legacy constantly, with a part of it being the smaller number of new Pokemon introduced compared to most other generations allowing for a significant amount of Pokemon from each generation being encounterable throughout the story. Thus, they're basically just installments. Diamond & Pearl is a little bit trickier, but ultimately there's great representation of older and newer Pokemon throughout battles in the region (Lucian has Pokemon from all gens up until Gen IV), so I just consider them installments as well.

While you're certainly right in defining soft and hard reboots in your terms, I had to make it clear that my scope is larger.

Last edited:
A hard reboot would essentially mean that everything from before is thrown out the window and the series starts from scratch. That would mean not just a new region with new Pokemon, but you wouldn't be able to transfer your old Pokemon and some of those old Pokemon might not even exist anymore. Needless to say, they would never go this far. The backlash would be too much. They can always have more soft reboots like BW, but a hard reboot doesn't really work for Pokemon. The fandom has too much of an attachment to their Pokemon from past games for them to just forget about them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom