• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find them forcing you to bring a Grass or Water-type to Pewter Gym to be absolutely infuriating- the games were handholdy enough without requiring that you heed type match ups.
Meh, I think it could be a smart move -- back in Gen 1 Brock's team lived or fainted solely on your choice of starter, creating a very unpredictable difficulty level for an early game boss.

Plus, if the game requires you to have one Pokemon with a type advantage, the devs may be planning for it in designing what Pokemon and/or moves Brock brings into the battle.

Meh, I think it could be a smart move -- back in Gen 1 Brock's team lived or fainted solely on your choice of starter, creating a very unpredictable difficulty level for an early game boss.

Plus, if the game requires you to have one Pokemon with a type advantage, the devs may be planning for it in designing what Pokemon and/or moves Brock brings into the battle.
It just comes off as added tutorial with requiring that "only trainers that know type match ups can fight this gym" and then outright telling you to bring one of two types that's strong against Rock... and I wonder if it's just the demo or if the game hands you each of the three Kanto starters early on too. That would completely kill any challenge that Pewter would have been.

News on Pokeball Plus from Serebii:
"It's confirmed that Mew cannot be sent from Pokémon GO to Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu & Let's Go Eevee so it can only be obtained through the Poké Ball Plus. It's also noted that the Mew gift may not be able to be redeemed after a certain period of time. This period of time is unclear."

So that really is just a cash grab.

No one is forcing you to use a Grass or Water type against Brock, you can get rid of it the second you're in the Gym~
The point still stands that it’s an obnoxious hurdle if you want to go that route.

And isn’t that rather limiting at that point in the game? What Pokémon even qualify that you can catch by then? Oddish for grass and... what? You have to start with Pikachu or Eevee so it’s not like you can pick a starter of that type.

And does this restriction hold for all the gym leaders? Do they require grass or electric to get into Cerulean Gym?

You can’t enter the Pewter gym without having a Grass or Water type.
That's honestly really frustrating to me for a number of reasons.
  • Grass and Water aren't even the only weaknesses Rock has. I can understand not including Steel in the list, since Magnemite probably wouldn't fit (though it did appear by the school in Alola), but surely Sandshrew or Machop could appear before then? Why restrict it to only the double weaknesses, when the first gym is often weak enough to be outdone by moves with just 2x the effectiveness?
  • Pokemon are capable of having moves different from their typing. Why not include a weak Ground or Fighting-type TM for the Pokemon players might have picked up along the way? Or let people try with neutrally-effective moves, like the Psychic and Fairy that the traded Mr. Mime could give them? (Assuming they still keep in-game trades) Or even Bug? (In RBY, Brock didn't even have any Rock-type moves, and in FRLG, only Onix had one)
  • Type advantages aren't the only way to win a Pokemon battle-what about using stat-boosting moves to endure the battle long enough to take your opponent out?
  • And, yeah, the Pewter gym might be too early on to allow for much strategy-but then why not make it the second or third gym instead? It seems like this design choice was made to adhere to the originals, but in doing so, it skipped over aspects like battling with your favorite Pokemon and finding your own ways to win-elements far more important to the Pokemon games than dex count or gym orders.
  • And part of the reason why the Pewter gym is troublesome is because it ends up being a Ground/Rock gym, because Gen 1 never had any pure Rock-types. Some early Pokemon that wouldn't be resisted in a pure Rock-type gym, like the Nidorans and Pikachu, suddenly have a harder time because of the small variety of types. The problem was perfectly understandable in the originals, but now that it's being remade and they choose to include the problem just for the sake of being classic...

Last edited:
The point still stands that it’s an obnoxious hurdle if you want to go that route.

And isn’t that rather limiting at that point in the game? What Pokémon even qualify that you can catch by then? Oddish for grass and... what? You have to start with Pikachu or Eevee so it’s not like you can pick a starter of that type.

And does this restriction hold for all the gym leaders? Do they require grass or electric to get into Cerulean Gym?

It's no more obnoxious than having to catch a certain number of Pokemon to get an item.

I really doubt it would continue throughout the whole game. This seems no different than Gen V handing you an Elemental Monkey to beat Striaton's Gym. But even if it does for whatever reason, you still don't have to use the Pokemon. Just catch it and box/release it after. Is it really that big of a deal?

It's no more obnoxious than having to catch a certain number of Pokemon to get an item.

I really doubt it would continue throughout the whole game. This seems no different than Gen V handing you an Elemental Monkey to beat Striaton's Gym. But even if it does for whatever reason, you still don't have to use the Pokemon. Just catch it and box/release it after. Is it really that big of a deal?
It's more the principle of the direction that it implies- which is a very guided adventure. It's more tutorial-mode than Kanto has ever been, and as long-time players... we're already sick of the catching tutorial in every game, we don't need the first gym telling us what pokemon to bring, too.

But we all pretty much know that this game isn't meant for us anyway, so this only reaffirmed the decision for many to skip these games. If you're someone who can handle being pointed around like you can't figure things out on your own, this game might be for you, but if you're someone who is already sick of the games holding your hand just by giving you stupid roadblocks like a stoutland isn't done sniffing there yet, then Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee is probably the Pokemon game that you want to avoid like a pack of screaming children.

Edit: Totally forgot my other disappointment with the following feature- you just automatically ride some pokemon depending on how large they are. =( I was hoping we'd get to see an improved PokeRide mechanic where you get to use your own pokemon, but this doesn't seem to count. Please don't let me down, 2019!

Last edited:
Pokemon are capable of having moves different from their typing. Why not include a weak Ground or Fighting-type TM for the Pokemon players might have picked up along the way?
The most hilarious part, Pikachu learns Double Kick in LGPE and who knows what they added to Eevee.

It’s literally impossible to lose against the Pewter Gym and yet, they still felt the need to include the Water or Grass type restriction for whatever reason.

You cannot enter the gym without a grass or water type? Wtf?

I swept Brock's team with Charmander's metal claw alone in Fire Red, and did not have a single water or grass type.
Same in Platinum's first gym with newly evolved Monferno's Mach punch.

They do not even give options for players to innovate...

The most hilarious part, Pikachu learns Double Kick in LGPE and who knows what they added to Eevee.

It’s literally impossible to lose against the Pewter Gym and yet, they still felt the need to include the Water or Grass type restriction for whatever reason.
I'm sure it's purely for "learn your type match ups" tutorial purposes... which just emphasizes how much these games are for beginners.

I'm sure it's purely for "learn your type match ups" tutorial purposes... which just emphasizes how much these games are for beginners.
Still, there are better ways to learn type advantages, including in previous games.
gym1panels3.png

It just feels so weird how they decided to force people in LGPE instead of something more subtle.

Still, there are better ways to learn type advantages, including in previous games.
gym1panels3.png

It just feels so weird how they decided to force people in LGPE instead of something more subtle.
XD Beginner game geared towards young kids. I wouldn't be surprised if the catching tutorial was excruciatingly long for such a simple mechanic too. Probably just as long as the regular catching tutorial, despite no longer having to weaken the pokemon first.

They could just do it like all the other games: a dialogue like "Grass and water types are particularly effective against Brock's Pokémon." would be enough.
They could, but they didn't- which I think says a lot about the games, that they passed up leaving it as a simple hint in favor of requiring you to show them a type effective pokemon. Pretty much a forced tutorial along the same lines of showing you how to catch a pokemon every gen.

Hopefully they get all their forced hand-holding out with this game and finally let veterans skip the catching tutorial in 2019.

Hi all, been lurking this thread for a few weeks ago and while I've enjoyed reading the majority of discussion going on here, the recent negativity towards LGPE irks me a bit, as I feel some of the comments are quite unwarranted. Just wanted to say my piece on this.

I've noticed that many users here have made their mind up already on LGPE not being their cup of tea, whether it be via legitimate concerns such as not liking the Go integration, no wild battles, going back to Kanto, visual style etc. And that's perfectly understandable, we all have our own desires for what an enjoyable Pokemon game should/should not contain.

But it bothers me when needless, frankly inaccurate assumptions about the targeted playerbase are brought up like "too much hand-holding, Pokemon: Kids confirmed! No hardcore fan could ever like these games!" Or an indirect factor such as "Mew accessible only through Poke Ball Plus; man what a cash grab, that just makes the games even worse!" Sure, it's a bold direction, but knowing the true core installments are returning in 2019 has perhaps made me patiently optimistic about LGPE as a filler until then. Heck, I'm 24 and the Treehouse showcase got me pretty excited. Don't get me wrong, I love everything about competitive battles, IVs/EVs, breeding etc. but the new features showcased here are quite appealing for me; and I'm sure plenty of other people both young and old feel the same way.

It's unfair how much LGPE has been bashed on already, with a fair chunk of it along the lines of "established Pokemon RPG mechanics or bust" littered with other minor gripes. I can respect Game Freak's effort here to expand their reach to an even larger audience...I don't know, I just think the games are being critiqued way too harshly based on a formula we know by now they aren't meant to emulate.

I know all that, and I agree that the LGPE hate is kinda annoying, but I don't know, thing are looking kind of grim there, and this comes from someone that is not a competitive player nor uses online constantly. I'll give it time until the games are released to make up my mind, hopefully I will be wrong and this will be a nice game in the end.

Hi all, been lurking this thread for a few weeks ago and while I've enjoyed reading the majority of discussion going on here, the recent negativity towards LGPE irks me a bit, as I feel some of the comments are quite unwarranted. Just wanted to say my piece on this.

I've noticed that many users here have made their mind up already on LGPE not being their cup of tea, whether it be via legitimate concerns such as not liking the Go integration, no wild battles, going back to Kanto, visual style etc. And that's perfectly understandable, we all have our own desires for what an enjoyable Pokemon game should/should not contain.

But it bothers me when needless, frankly inaccurate assumptions about the targeted playerbase are brought up like "too much hand-holding, Pokemon: Kids confirmed! No hardcore fan could ever like these games!" Or an indirect factor such as "Mew accessible only through Poke Ball Plus; man what a cash grab, that just makes the games even worse!" Sure, it's a bold direction, but knowing the true core installments are returning in 2019 has perhaps made me patiently optimistic about LGPE as a filler until then. Heck, I'm 24 and the Treehouse showcase got me pretty excited. Don't get me wrong, I love everything about competitive battles, IVs/EVs, breeding etc. but the new features showcased here are quite appealing for me; and I'm sure plenty of other people both young and old feel the same way.

It's unfair how much LGPE has been bashed on already, with a fair chunk of it along the lines of "established Pokemon RPG mechanics or bust" littered with other minor gripes. I can respect Game Freak's effort here to expand their reach to an even larger audience...I don't know, I just think the games are being critiqued way too harshly based on a formula we know by now they aren't meant to emulate.
Personally, while I had already made the decision to pass on the games, my main gripe with the handholding and especially the forcing you to show a water or grass-type at the gym is just... the assumption that kids are stupid. I was a young kid when I played Pokemon Red for the first time, and I didn't need the game to force me to bring a type effective pokemon to the gym. And it's a trend that I see too often in media today is just the assumption that kids are dumb and need you to go and shove things in their face for them to get the hint. Kids aren't stupid! They don't need you to hand them the answers! Unless kids have legitimately somehow gotten less intuitive since the 90s, I don't understand why the strong compulsion to guide them through things like they can't figure it out on their own. That's largely why I'm feeling negative about it- I know the games aren't for me, but I find the forced tutorial insulting to adults and children. People are smarter than that.

Aside from that, I find the flashing animations to be really annoying- surely pokemon can just move out of the way instead of having to teleport constantly when you want to walk past them.

What's with all the negativity?
Did you actually watch the treehouse demo?
I'm totally going to buy LGPE.
The game looks great and the music is absolutely amazing.
Seeing all the Kanto Pokemon in 3D and Pokemon Colosseum styled battles is amazing to me as well.
-----------------

I think the demo suggests you would be given Charmander, Bulbasaur and Squirtle some point before the Gym.
So you will have a water/ grass Pokemon with you.

If not, you can catch Oddish and Belsprout in Viridian forest.
As someone else suggested, you don't have to USE a grass type inside the gym.
Pikachu learns double kick at level 9, so you can sweep the gym with Pikachu.

Also, I really really like the fact they are getting rid of Safari Zone, and replacing it with Pokemon Go park.
I absolutely hated the Safari Zone back then, it was the most annoying thing ever.

Another thing is, EV candies!! You can now give Pokemon EV candies.
Each Pokemon still has 6 stats.
It's not the stupid CP you use in Pokemon GO.
LGPE can go competitive and VGC 2019 will probably use LGPE.
It's not necessarily for kids when you still have EVs, right?

I mean... how can a previously free Pokemon locked behind a $50 accessory make things better instead of worse?
How do you know that they won't distribute Mew in movies?
Personally, while I had already made the decision to pass on the games, my main gripe with the handholding and especially the forcing you to show a water or grass-type at the gym is just... the assumption that kids are stupid. I was a young kid when I played Pokemon Red for the first time, and I didn't need the game to force me to bring a type effective pokemon to the gym. And it's a trend that I see too often in media today is just the assumption that kids are dumb and need you to go and shove things in their face for them to get the hint. Kids aren't stupid! They don't need you to hand them the answers! Unless kids have legitimately somehow gotten less intuitive since the 90s, I don't understand why the strong compulsion to guide them through things like they can't figure it out on their own. That's largely why I'm feeling negative about it- I know the games aren't for me, but I find the forced tutorial insulting to adults and children. People are smarter than that.

Aside from that, I find the flashing animations to be really annoying- surely pokemon can just move out of the way instead of having to teleport constantly when you want to walk past them.
To be honest, I don't think the "shoving" is for kids.
We all know how stupid our parents' generation is.
Pokemon GO's main audience are basically people in our parents' generation who were like muggles to Pokemon before Pokemon GO
And even after Pokemon GO, even after they PLAY Pokemon GO, they are still stupid, and don't seem to be capable of obtaining accurate information.

I think all the instructions are for THAT crowd, not kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom