• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kanto Pokemon have always had major representation in every game, save for Gen V, so I'm hopeful that that'll die down a bit in Gen 8, since LGPE are technically Gen VII entries.

The new Pokemon, however, is a Gen 8 Pokemon, which makes me question it's position in the National Dex. Though Pokemon Quest does list it as #808. If that's the case, could this be another generation like Gen V, where we see a multitude of new creatures and less of Pokemon from previous generations?

If that IS the case, I'd be very welcoming of a large number of species and regional variants or even new UBs added to the Pokedex. I love all Pokemon, obviously I have my favorites and those I don't care for (such as Binacle and Barbaracle), but every species is there for a reason, and I would never remove any of them.

So, in my case, more is always more, and I'll ve excited to see all of the new Pokemon.

I'd love to see more representation of Pokemon that are outnumbered in quantity, such as Fairy, Ghost and Ice types. They're currently three of the least populous types and I'd like to see that change.

However, we also can't rule out the possibility of new types being added in Gen VIII. They did it in Gen II and Gen VI, so there's nothing to say that they couldn't do it again in the next games, especially with the higher capabilities of the Switch. Not to mention, adding a new type or two could really shake up the game for competitive players, which seems to have become increasingly popular in the last few years.

We can see with LGPE some of what to expect in the next games, and I definitely think that the 2019 game will genuinely change the way we see Pokemon as a whole.

However, we also can't rule out the possibility of new types being added in Gen VIII. They did it in Gen II and Gen VI, so there's nothing to say that they couldn't do it again in the next games, especially with the higher capabilities of the Switch. Not to mention, adding a new type or two could really shake up the game for competitive players, which seems to have become increasingly popular in the last few years.

It is notable that new types have been added only to counter some types which became overpowered (Steel and Dark to curb psychic and Fairy to curb Dragon). There is currently no type in the type chart with is notably overpowered.

It is notable that new types have been added only to counter some types which became overpowered (Steel and Dark to curb psychic and Fairy to curb Dragon). There is currently no type in the type chart with is notably overpowered.
^ This. So much this. I don't think we'll see a new type any time soon given how recent the addition of Fairy has been and the fact that there is no major imbalance that needs correcting. We're good on new types for now.

Not to mention that complicating the game with a new type will cause confusion among the LGPE audience who purchases the Generation 8 titles.
GameFreak currently needs to work carefully to balance the Generation 8 games for veterans as well as to transition the LGPE audience to the 'proper' main series games.

I agree with this. However, while there aren’t any types that are “overpowered,” there are DEFINITELY types that are underpowered. And a new type still wouldn’t help them. Please, Gamefreak, before you add any new types, FIX the ones you already have.

Idk, I think Electric types are pretty overpowered and under represented, if you ask me.

Some simple type chart tweaks:
1. Make Ice and water resist each other instead of it being one way only.
2. Bug should resist fairy instead of it being the other way round. Also give Grass a fairy resistance.
Edit: If all these resistances are too unfair on Fairy, let Fairy resist water since water is also very prevalent.
3. Ice should now resist Flying and Ground

Other suggestions:
1. No. More . Slow. Defensive. Ice. Types. Ninetales was a nice step there.

This would be enough I think to balance the type chart,

Some simple type chart tweaks:
1. Make Ice and water resist each other instead of it being one way only.
2. Bug should resist fairy instead of it being the other way round. Also give Grass a fairy resistance.
Edit: If all these resistances are too unfair on Fairy, let Fairy resist water since water is also very prevalent.
3. Ice should now resist Flying and Ground

Other suggestions:
1. No. More . Slow. Defensive. Ice. Types. Ninetales was a nice step there.

This would be enough I think to balance the type chart,

1 and 2 are ok even with fairy reisting water, flying also
but ground? ground is already weak to them. maybe then Ice becomes to OP if all would hapen.

I never noticed that Sun and Rain give power boosts to their respective types (and weaken their weaknesses), Samdstorm gives Sp. def. boost but hail has no such effect. It seems unfair to ice types.

also think of it:
- Iice is weak to rock, ice moves during sandstorm should do less damage like fire moves in rain.
- Ground and rock moves should theoretically do less damage in hail like water moves in sun. Rock would still be SE on ice like water on fire.

but ground? ground is already weak to them. maybe then Ice becomes to OP if all would hapen.

No it wouldn’t. Ice needs a strong buff. It’s by far the weakest type.

also think of it:
- Iice is weak to rock, ice moves during sandstorm should do less damage like fire moves in rain.
- Ground and rock moves should theoretically do less damage in hail like water moves in sun. Rock would still be SE on ice like water on fire.

It would be still unbalanced as rock types get a special defence boost in sandstorm but ice gets no stat boosts in its own weather.

Huh... Ice really should resist Water. Or at least be strong against it. You freeze water and what do you get? More ice.

That could make for a fun move, though- something like Soak to turn your opponent into an Ice-type. Pair that with a Fire, Rock, Steel or Fighting type and you could just wreck through someone's team with the help of your Ice glass cannon. XD

Huh... Ice really should resist Water. Or at least be strong against it. You freeze water and what do you get? More ice.

That could make for a fun move, though- something like Soak to turn your opponent into an Ice-type. Pair that with something like a Fire-type and you could just wreck through someone's team with the help of your Ice glass cannon. XD
There is Freeze Dry at least, which is super effective against water types.

Ice definitely needs more representation in the next Gen. Like I said in a previous post, Ice is currently the most rare type, with only 40 members, 5.0% of all Pokemon.

This needs to change. Bring on the Ice types.
While I’m not opposed to this, representing them more won’t make it a better type. The chart needs to be tweaked or hail needs to further help them for the type to be better.

...Of course, you might have just been expressing a desire to see more that is completely separate from the type-fixing discussion, in which case... ignore my post :p

...Of course, you might have just been expressing a desire to see more that is completely separate from the type-fixing discussion, in which case... ignore my post :p
That part.

I do agree that Ice needs to see some reworking like what's been discussed already. With every new generation, we see changes made like this, so I'm sure Ice won't be forgotten this generation.

Incidentally, I'm very excited to see what region we are headed next Holiday season, and what the trainers will look like. I wonder how many of those Gen VIII leaks will hold any credibility.

My need to evolve pokemon has gotten the better of me, and now I'm sad about the matter that evolution items are so hard to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom