• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the thing though, I think a lot of people expected Nintendo would have more planned for this year, but it's mainly been third party games and Wii U ports. There's been very little in terms of big, first party games this year and I think a lot of people are skeptical that they can sell 20 million units this year even with LGPE and Smash Ultimate. This year's lineup feels like a Wii U-esque drought year, and with the Switch serving as both a console and a handheld I think most people were hoping they would combine their resources so that we wouldn't see these kinds of droughts again.

Right... How many legitimately new first party titles have there been so far this year? Off the top of my head I can only think of Kirby and Mario Tennis Aces. And I'm sorry to say, but those just aren't the most exciting titles. And of the few and far in between first party titles still to come out this year, Super Smash Bros Ultimate is the only one that has my attention.

The problem for me is that the Switch has always been built on the Wii U's games. Even Breath of the Wild is a Wii U game. I played it on the Wii U. Right now the only legitimately new Switch game I have really liked has been Super Mario Odyssey.

I was really looking forward to Pokemon, but then... it turned out to be LGP/E. Sure Pokemon 2019 is confirmed to be something different, but the thing is, I can't form much hype over something that we know nothing about. I expected more from Nintendo at the end of this year. But I guess at least Ultimate is a thing. I was concerned (before it became obvious otherwise) that we might end up with another Wii U port instead of a new game.

Maybe there should be a seperate Nintendo Switch discussion thread? I feel like this discussion doesn't have a lot to do with Generation 8. It has already been confirmed the games will be released in the second half of 2019 on the Switch.

Speaking of Generation 8, I wonder where it'll fit in the timeline. So far, most of the new games have been released in chronological order, but there are some exceptions. I think it would be interesting to be able to meet some characters from previous in their younger years, like Cynthia or Blaine. There are many older characters that I'd love to know the backstory of...

Last edited:
The only exceptions were RS and DP to accommodate remakes, although that wasn't necessary per se.

Only a handful of characters would have their backstory told in a new region, so I am not sure it's worth it.

I don't think any character from Sinnoh will have their backstories revealed in the Gen 8 games, unless that teases a Sinnoh remake in Gen 8.

For Gen 8, it would kind of nice to have minimal references to previous generations. New generation on a new system that is both a handheld and tv console, let Pokemon feel a little new for a chance.
That happened in Gen 5, and a ton of people complained. BW's sales are the lowest of any new generation.

That happened in Gen 5, and a ton of people complained. BW's sales are the lowest of any new generation.

You make it sound as if Generation V sales were terrible, Nintendo Japan's website lists sales at 15.64 million worldwide, which is just a hair under those of Sun and Moon, and Black 2 and White 2 sales are just a hair under those of USUM. IR Information : Financial Data - Top Selling Title Sales Units - Nintendo DS Software

And I wasn't thinking of the new game being "new" in the sense that Gen V was, I just simply want nostalgia pandering kept to a minimum and a storyline that is not completely reminiscent of previous generations.

Last edited:
Since Gen 8 is going to be the first new generation on the Switch, I prefer it leaves out references to past games, it can get away with a few, but I want those to be with a minimum.

You make it sound as if Generation V sales were terrible, Nintendo Japan's website lists sales at 15.64 million worldwide, which is just a hair under those of Sun and Moon, and Black 2 and White 2 sales are just a hair under those of USUM. IR Information : Financial Data - Top Selling Title Sales Units - Nintendo DS Software

And I wasn't thinking of the new game being "new" in the sense that Gen V was, I just simply want nostalgia pandering kept to a minimum and a storyline that is not completely reminiscent of previous generations.
Oh. I thought that you were talking about a BW-esque soft reboot. Sorry, my bad.

I think if Game Freak wants to load up their games with nostalgia fodder, then they should give any returning characters a reasonable non-cameo role in the story and distribute the references evenly amidst the regions. No favoring any one of them over the others- unless it's hinting at the next remake, because you know people will eat that up.

I'm sure that there's got to be a way to work references to past games in without making it feel mostly like product placement.

I think if Game Freak wants to load up their games with nostalgia fodder, then they should give any returning characters a reasonable non-cameo role in the story and distribute the references evenly amidst the regions. No favoring any one of them over the others- unless it's hinting at the next remake, because you know people will eat that up.

I'm sure that there's got to be a way to work references to past games in without making it feel mostly like product placement.

This +1000

I don't mind the idea of characters making a re-appearances, but make the reappearances worthwhile. Colress for example has an almost important role in USUM, he's not just someone who does a drive by gives away a TM like he does in SM.

Also, give Kanto a huge, huge break. The chance to revisit Kanto in 3D was just ruined by LGPE.

This +1000

I don't mind the idea of characters making a re-appearances, but make the reappearances worthwhile. Colress for example has an almost important role in USUM, he's not just someone who does a drive by gives away a TM like he does in SM.

Also, give Kanto a huge, huge break. The chance to revisit Kanto in 3D was just ruined by LGPE.
Why was it ruined?

Why was it ruined?
To put it simple, people had BIG expectations for the game and instead we are getting Yellow 2.0. Oriden had a post like 30 pages ago that detailed why LGPE was underwhelming (I'll look for it later because it's 3:00 a.m. where I live). And let's leave it at that so this thread doesn't go back to being a "bash LGPE" thread. Sorry, if I sound rude and dismissive, Maybe I shouldn't post tired.

This is probably wishful thinking, but if the game were to take place in a region inspired by South America, I'd love to a post-game quest about the discovery of Mew. Setting out on an expedition in the jungle with Blaine and Fuji to find the Mythical ancestor of all Pokémon... that would be that best. Mew is still one of most mysterious and beloved Pokémon, so that kind of backstory would be well-received, I think. Of course, Mew might need some kind of new form or Evolution to justify playing such a big role instead of a new Pokémon.

Why was it ruined?
To put it simple, people had BIG expectations for the game and instead we are getting Yellow 2.0. Oriden had a post like 30 pages ago that detailed why LGPE was underwhelming (I'll look for it later because it's 3:00 a.m. where I live). And let's leave it at that so this thread doesn't go back to being a "bash LGPE" thread. Sorry, if I sound rude and dismissive, Maybe I shouldn't post tired.

Kenzey, prog rocker pretty much explained why I stated a revisit in Kanto in 3D was ruined. I'm not here to bash a game, so I wont. GF effectively got their Kanto pandering in for the next year or so, my hope is the next game won't have much, if any.

If Gen 8 comes with DPPt remakes, I'll be okay with some connecting story plots for whatever plot devices they are drumming up for the switch.

Kenzey, prog rocker pretty much explained why I stated a revisit in Kanto in 3D was ruined. I'm not here to bash a game, so I wont. GF effectively got their Kanto pandering in for the next year or so, my hope is the next game won't have much, if any.

If Gen 8 comes with DPPt remakes, I'll be okay with some connecting story plots for whatever plot devices they are drumming up for the switch.
Why do you want a DPPt remake? What is so special about that game? I dont find it more special then SS and HG.

Why do you want a DPPt remake? What is so special about that game? I dont find it more special then SS and HG.
Personally, I'd like a DPPt remake just to see the Underground updated and made compatible with wifi. It was also the closest we got to being able to play with friends in the world and not just through battles or trading- as far as I know.

This is probably wishful thinking, but if the game were to take place in a region inspired by South America, I'd love to a post-game quest about the discovery of Mew. Setting out on an expedition in the jungle with Blaine and Fuji to find the Mythical ancestor of all Pokémon... that would be that best. Mew is still one of most mysterious and beloved Pokémon, so that kind of backstory would be well-received, I think. Of course, Mew might need some kind of new form or Evolution to justify playing such a big role instead of a new Pokémon.
It's what they should have done for the 20th anniversary. Maybe it could still happen as a post-game episode for the 2021 games, but I am not holding my breath.

Oriden said:
It was also the closest we got to being able to play with friends in the world and not just through battles or trading.
We have co-op play now.

KenzeyEevee said:
Why do you want a DPPt remake? What is so special about that game?
People either grew up with those games or they want Game Freak to follow the pattern and be "fair" (also in terms of new forms). That's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom