• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fusions are for fan art. Not Pokemon games. Kyurem is one of my least favorite Pokemon because of it's fusion concept. I don't understand why they didn't just make the complete, original dragon that is talked about so much, instead giving us Black and White Kyurem. If the DNA splicer can be used to fuse, why can't it fuse them all together again?

My opinion on Necrozma is similar, but at least with its fusion concept, it makes sense why it doesn't need to fuse with Solgaleo AND Lunala, just one or the other. Though I'm stuck wondering why it needs to fuse with one or the other to attain its original form in the first place.

Over all, I share my opinion with many others, I don't want to see fusions become more of a thing. And as others have already established, we don't need a new Gimmick. The game itself will be just fine.

Fusions are for fan art. Not Pokemon games. Kyurem is one of my least favorite Pokemon because of it's fusion concept. I don't understand why they didn't just make the complete, original dragon that is talked about so much, instead giving us Black and White Kyurem. If the DNA splicer can be used to fuse, why can't it fuse them all together again?

... The original dragon would still technically be a fusion, though. You haven’t escaped the concept just by moving it up a grade. That is, unless the original dragon’s split was actually intended to be permanent, in which case the original dragon becomes a moot point and the reason why Kyurem can only fuse with one dragon at a time becomes clear.

Obviously the real-world reason for making it fuse with only one dragon is so that it can sustain the dual version build (they were dead-set on including the Key System this time, since it was originally meant for BW but wasn’t worked out in time). Though I would also argue that it makes for a much less convoluted storyline - it is far easier for them to structure a plot wherein N, an NPC with a defined personality and a meaningful relationship to Ghetsis, is the only one to respond the the attack on Opelucid and ends up getting his dragon absorbed by Kyurem at Ghetsis’s command than it is to write that story that also tries to drag the previous player character into things. Not to mention that, while N’s reason for releasing his dragon is admittedly weak (although, still kind of in keeping with his established trend of always releasing his Pokémon after asking for their assistance), it is elegant to give people who played Black Version access to Zekrom in its sequel, and vice-versa for White Version players and Reshiram, which is accomplished neatly by N being the one to return to Unova.

Though I'm stuck wondering why it needs to fuse with one or the other to attain its original form in the first place.

Necrozma lost its own light in the past when the Ultra Megapeople tried to suck it dry. Now it needs to drink Nebby’s tasty, tasty light in order to replenish itself.

Last edited:
I don't know about a pokemon/pokemon fusion concept, but I really absolutely do not want any more pokemon/human fusions- if we can all just forget Ash-Greninja exists, I think the games would be better for it. It was such a dumb anime-generated concept in a region where it was completely unneeded, because instead of being a special snowflake, Ash could have just... oh I don't know... mega evolved something that could actually mega evolve?

I don't mind Dusk Lycanroc so much because they kinda downplayed its Ash-ness by not making its form dependent on the "power of Ash" and used a more generic method of "wow it tried to evolve exactly at dusk, what now" but I swear, if they give Ash another special snowflake in Gen 8, then the anime is really going to need an intervention.

As for pokemon/pokemon fusions- I think the idea has potential (note the Pyroar/Pidgeot I linked earlier) but after how many regional variants turned out to be jokes, I don't exactly have faith in Game Freak to take the idea and implement it in a way that would sit right. Granted, they did manage to implement Digimon-style evolutions in a way that I found myself pleasantly surprised at how much I didn't hate it, so I guess it's up to Game Freak whether or not they think they could pull it off. I just hope that if it is to ever come, it doesn't come any time soon because I think we're all gimmicked out for now and would just like to see some longevity to the concepts that we've already been introduced to at this point.

Gen 8 will likely have voice acting. If their was incentive to put it into the let's go games, they would have it too. One thing you can deduce from the information we have is the Anime expressive style. Even the way the pokemon are sent out are very snappy.

Check the part at 1:30. See how clefairy hits the field in multiple camera angles?Also the part at 0:29 when it really feels like red made a life changing decision in choosing his first starter. This is the approach they will go with the games (as they need until 2019 to perfect all this) and then we'll get to see how serious they've been taking the switch games.

Gen 8 will likely have voice acting. If their was incentive to put it into the let's go games, they would have it too. One thing you can deduce from the information we have is the Anime expressive style. Even the way the pokemon are sent out are very snappy.

Check the part at 1:30. See how clefairy hits the field in multiple camera angles?Also the part at 0:29 when it really feels like red made a life changing decision in choosing his first starter. This is the approach they will go with the games (as they need until 2019 to perfect all this) and then we'll get to see how serious they've been taking the switch games.

LGPE doesn't have voice acting, though? Unless you're counting Pikachu and Eevee, which I think barely counts.

LGPE doesn't have voice acting, though? Unless you're counting Pikachu and Eevee, which I think barely counts.
LGPE probably wont have the kind of voice acting you would expect in a AAA game, which i think gen 8 will boast, as well as fully 3D environments, since the system is capable of such (and LGPE is a chance for them to fiddle around with higher resolution assets than normal, so they probably got the feel for it by now).

Oh I think I would kinda like to see Slowpoke retconned into actually needing a Shellder to evolve like Mantine requires a Remoraid. Maybe then we could actually get a mechanic that would allow us to get a Taban.

The Slowpoke/Shellder situation is a bit weirder than the Mantine/Remoraid relationship (which they actually stopped depicting in Mantine’s sprite right at the exact time when they introduced the evolutionary tie, which further complicates comparisons to Slowbro), because when Shellder latches onto Slowpoke, they are considered a single, new species in aggregate. With Mantine and Remoraid, the latter was just huddling up against the former in order to gain certain environmental benefits, as like real remoras do. Neither the Mantine nor the Remoraid caused the other to be recategorized as a species altogether.

According to the Pokédex, if the Shellder is removed from a Slowbro, it reverts to being a Slowpoke once again. But Shellder isn’t a held item, and yet it sure as hell isn’t going to be consumed in order to facilitate a player’s Slowpoke evolution. So the “level up with Remoraid in the party” doesn’t really make all that much sense here, because the Shellder would remain an independent entity. Even if they reintroduced Turban, it would still be an awkward arrangement unless you were forced to always carry Slowbro/Slowking and Turban together, or if they implemented some kind of Zygarde assembly system (but all that just for f***ing Slowpoke?). Plus, if we start going down that road, then logically it would demand that Magnemite require two other Magnemite in the party in order to evolve, and, in a particulalrly unfortunate example of gameplay and story integration, we would need two Beldum to make Metang, two Metang to make Metagross, and then one Metagross, one Metang, two Beldum, a Metagrossite, and a Key Stone in order to make Mega Metagross... :confused: (Welcome to PU tier, by the way.)

LGPE probably wont have the kind of voice acting you would expect in a AAA game, which i think gen 8 will boast, as well as fully 3D environments, since the system is capable of such (and LGPE is a chance for them to fiddle around with higher resolution assets than normal, so they probably got the feel for it by now).

I am really confused as to what you're talking about with LGPE having voice acting- aside from Pikachu and Eevee, we've already seen that the games continue to use speech bubbles and the regular pokemon cries. =/

The Slowpoke/Shellder situation is a bit weirder than the Mantine/Remoraid relationship (which they actually stopped depicting in Mantine’s sprite right at the exact time when they introduced the evolutionary tie, which further complicates comparisons to Slowbro), because when Shellder latches onto Slowpoke, they are considered a single, new species in aggregate. With Mantine and Remoraid, the latter was just huddling up against the former in order to gain certain environmental benefits, as like real remoras do. Neither the Mantine nor the Remoraid caused the other to be recategorized as a species altogether.

According to the Pokédex, if the Shellder is removed from a Slowbro, it reverts to being a Slowpoke once again. But Shellder isn’t a held item, and yet it sure as hell isn’t going to be consumed in order to facilitate a player’s Slowpoke evolution. So the “level up with Remoraid in the party” doesn’t really make all that much sense here, because the Shellder would remain an independent entity. Even if they reintroduced Turban, it would still be an awkward arrangement unless you were forced to always carry Slowbro/Slowking and Turban together, or if they implemented some kind of Zygarde assembly system (but all that just for f***ing Slowpoke?). Plus, if we start going down that road, then logically it would demand that Magnemite require two other Magnemite in the party in order to evolve, and, in a particulalrly unfortunate example of gameplay and story integration, we would need two Beldum to make Metang, two Metang to make Metagross, and then one Metagross, one Metang, two Beldum, a Metagrossite, and a Key Stone in order to make Mega Metagross... :confused: (Welcome to PU tier, by the way.)

Aaaah- I had figured with plentiful enough Shellder, it wouldn't be a major loss to have them combine like Black/White Kyurem and then have a way to remove the Shellder in order to get Turban... it could be a neat evolution method, if anything. And then you could just go get another Shellder to evolve your Slowpoke back into a Slowbro or Slowking. Though I see your point with the Magnemite and Beldum.

Evolutions, as in final stages. You keep mentioning the Johto babies only.
Oh shit, idk the reason why I didn't count Steelix, Scizor and Kingdra as cross Gen evolutions: I like the former two and I really like the latter one. I am a big Kingdra fan.

For some reason, I didn't realize these were Cross Gen evos too. So yeah, I guess my point only applies to Gen IV Cross Gen evos. I do definitely like all the GSC ones a lot.

Thanks for correcting me :)

Last edited:

Now I remember why I try (and fail) to avoid games with a breeding/fusing mechanic, because the whole Beldum and Slowpoke examples you put are thing that are common in other monster raising games and is as frustrating as it sounds. I guess this is one of those time were the story and gameplay should be kept separate.

Junichi Masuda said in an interview with Famitsu that he remembers when people couldn't transfer their Pokemon from GSC to RSEFRLG and that it made them sad, so they're doing their best to avoid another situation like that again.

Sounds like they're trying to work out Pokemon Bank compatibility on the Switch. Do you guys think that PB will cost more being on the Switch? Or do you think it may come as a perk with the Nintendo Switch Subscription Service mentioned? Or will it still be the same $5 annual fee?

Junichi Masuda said in an interview with Famitsu that he remembers when people couldn't transfer their Pokemon from GSC to RSEFRLG and that it made them sad, so they're doing their best to avoid another situation like that again.

Sounds like they're trying to work out Pokemon Bank compatibility on the Switch. Do you guys think that PB will cost more being on the Switch? Or do you think it may come as a perk with the Nintendo Switch Subscription Service mentioned? Or will it still be the same $5 annual fee?
Personally, I hope it either comes with the subscription service (if the games require it, hiss) or keeps the same annual fee. I don't see any reason why it would cost more, considering it's just server space somewhere still storing pokemon like it did before... if it didn't cost over $5 to store your pokemon on a server before, why should it cost over $5 now?

If Game Freak does Pokemon fusions, I prefer they save it for the generation in which Gen 5 will be remade in. I'm totally fine with Pokemon/Pokemon fusions, but not okay at all with Pokemon/Human fusions.

I don’t think Ash-Greninja type thing would be done again.

The frequency of such events is shown to be really low and if GameFreak had to do it, Generation 7 was the time for it.

I’m sure that the Bond Phenomenon won’t be seen again since it was only ever just a piece of anime drivel that Game Freak imported to create marketing hype and to offer an incentive for people to download the demo.

Unfortunately, that does not rule out the possibility of them developing their own human/Pokémon fusion mechanic at a later time. Which seems somewhat inevitable to me, personally, since it’s a pretty obvious idea and they’ve already explored several other big concepts (and will want to keep surprising players), and in recent games they’ve been heavily emphasizing the shared power that comes from the bond between a player and their Pokémon. In some ways, fusion feels like a logical conclusion to all of that, however cheap and unnatural it may be.

That being said, if it’s going to happen at some point, then I could probably let it slide as long as it’s kept to just one or two Legendary Pokémon that do it, just as I tolerate the fusion elements of Kyurem and Necrozma. Legendary Pokémon are deliberately exceptional, so I’m more lenient when it comes to them. But the idea of fusing myself with things like Zangoose and Petilil and Finneon just feels ridiculous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom