• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I've gone a day outside without seeing some Pokemon Go fanatic glued to their phone screen trying to catch whatever Pokemon is around that day.

I'd say it's an addiction but that would be admitting that video game addiction is a real thing.

Yeah, it baffles me how Game Freak understands that there's tons of mobile gamers out there that are exposed to a variety of different mediums of entertainment on their phones for free and then think they can get that audience to put them down and pick up a Switch to play Pokemon for $360. Like, they should know better than that. IDK if it's just arrogance or what, but it makes no sense whatsoever.

I don't think I've gone a day outside without seeing some Pokemon Go fanatic glued to their phone screen trying to catch whatever Pokemon is around that day.

I'd say it's an addiction but that would be admitting that video game addiction is a real thing.

Anything can be addictive if it controls your life to an unhealthy degree. I don't see the problem with admitting video game addiction is a real thing.

Fair.

I will admit that I keep ,yself far away from candy crush and pokemon go for that exoress purpose.

Honestly, I wouldn't like voice acting since this would force a limit to what a player character can be called. Breath of the Wild is known for being the first Zelda game since Four Sword Adventures to not allow you to name Link, and that's only because of voice acting. And no, Tetra Trackers isn't a good example of voice acting since each vowel in the English language has various sounds, so it would take too much work just for the in-game characters to say the player's name.
Bleh- again, it doesn't have to limit what your player is called, as long as they write the script to avoid calling your character by name during voice acted scenes. And cut scenes is the only place I'd really want to see voice acting, because the cinematic silence is horrible and you can't make those things go much faster, so we could at least sugarcoat the experience so it's easier to stand. Good voice acting would be an improvement there- I think it would be annoying and unneeded if used anywhere else.

Pokemon don't need to start using their names and not every speech bubble needs to be voice acted- limiting it to cut scenes would also have the benefit of limiting the time and resources needed to dub in every needed language. You'd only need a few voice actors for the important characters and only need them long enough to voice a few scenes. You can easily write the dialogue to avoid calling the player character by name in these scenes and only address them in unvoiced speech bubbles- just have the NPCs turn to the player when they address them and pretty much go "Hey you" and voila- crisis averted. XD

I don't understand this all-or-nothing approach people seem to envision voice acting as needing to include every dialogue and pokemon sound in the game, nor why people are concerned about player names when limited voice acting and smart writing could avoid this issue entirely.

If they do voice acting they sure as hell better do it better than BotW did, where they voice acted really minor cutscenes.

Generation cries? You mean their original cries before Gen VI? I think they should bring those back. I hated how Generation VI changed some cries. Listening to their cries as I scrolled down the National Pokédex is music to my ears. Even when there was a contrast between pre-Gen3 and post-Gen4 Pokémon, I still think they should keep their original cries through the whole series. Don't give Pikachu its anime voice, keep that electronic noise from Red and Blue. Don't change Raichu's cry either. Don't remix any cries either to match modern standards. The original Game Boy sounds were totally fine. Especially when Nintendo is trying to appeal to nostalgic fans and especially when the GB Sounds was a fan favorite Key Item from HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Erm, SeanWheeler, she (he?) was talking about Pokémon Generation cries, not about the fandom term. And yes, Backset, they did a pretty good job there.

EDIT: Also, I don't see what's so wrong about changing some Pokémon cries since they were the same 38 cries but in different pitches, speed and length. I would have preferred the Stadium cries that sounded more natural, but I knew it wasn't going to happen.

The Pokémon Generations anime? Nope. The way Pikachu was squeaking was annoying. And besides, when they changed the pitch, speed and length for Generation VI, they still sound different to people who are used to the original cries. I want Raichu's louder cry, not the small electric noises it's got now.

Erm, SeanWheeler, she (he?) was talking about Pokémon Generation cries, not about the fandom term. And yes, Backset, they did a pretty good job there.

EDIT: Also, I don't see what's so wrong about changing some Pokémon cries since they were the same 38 cries but in different pitches, speed and length. I would have preferred the Stadium cries that sounded more natural, but I knew it wasn't going to happen.
He.

The cries in the game are friggin hell.

I'm sick of hearing a bunch of computerized sounds that don't even try to mimic real animals.

(It does work for some of the artificial pokemon like porygon, though)

Well, everyone's got their own opinion. I scroll through the Pokédex to listen to the cries.

Anyway, do you think the game should allow multiple save files? Maybe even more customization options to change your height and weight? And maybe your skintone can be selected on a gradient scale instead of choosing one of three or four tones and your hair and eye color can be chosen separately and your hair style can also be chosen at the start. And maybe you can even select your clothes when your player first wakes up. And hey, maybe you can dress up your Pokémon?

I don't know. Sounds a little too RPG-y even for pokemon.

Height and weight don't make much sense to me. Cause they'd have to make sure it was within the proportions of a ten/eleven year old.

I think that at least eye color should be something that we can customize at the start, Splatoon did it, so why can't Pokemon do it? It's not like it will affect to the plot or lore anyway. And it makes sense on why it would be customizable at the start anyways since it's genetics, if anything, it doesn't make sense that the player character can just change eye color just because of contact lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom