• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know. Sounds a little too RPG-y even for pokemon.

Height and weight don't make much sense to me. Cause they'd have to make sure it was within the proportions of a ten/eleven year old.
I mean, assuming they made a story that could accommodate it, I wouldn't mind them having a selection of choices similar to Pokemon Battle Revolution. Obviously not exactly like that, since some of them were clearly adults, but if you could choose to look slightly older than 11 and not have it affect the story, I don't see a problem with that. And even if they just stuck with staying 11, I do think they could allow for some height and weight differences. I mean, just look at the cast from X and Y. Trevor was quite shorter than the rest, and Tierno was rather larger than the other kids. I think if you could choose to be closer to your own body type, even if restricted to the dimensions of an 11-year-old, people would like that.

Anyway, do you think the game should allow multiple save files? Maybe even more customization options to change your height and weight? And maybe your skintone can be selected on a gradient scale instead of choosing one of three or four tones and your hair and eye color can be chosen separately and your hair style can also be chosen at the start. And maybe you can even select your clothes when your player first wakes up. And hey, maybe you can dress up your Pokémon?
Oh, man, that's the dream right there. Scales for color should be easy to do, seeing as it's just altering the model already created and not making a new model. Maybe it's hard to get a specific slider for skin tones-though I'm not sure why that would be-but hair and eye color shouldn't be a problem at all, considering the variety of colors already out there. (IRL and in the Pokemon world) I get that they want to have a "canon design" when featuring the protagonist and to have nicer clothes be bought later, but I don't think multiple clothing options at the start would affect either one that much.

I almost get why they don't do save slots, but not really. I could see them wanting to keep trading a thing, but between version exclusives, trade evos, and the trade boost, it's not like people would totally abandon it just because they got all three starters. It doesn't seem like enough reason to prevent players from adventuring again without losing their previous progress.
Height and weight don't make much sense to me. Cause they'd have to make sure it was within the proportions of a ten/eleven year old.
I think Shawn's meaning more like selecting physique on a slider rather than a specific number. (It's hard to get a specific image with just the numbers, after all)

I mean, assuming they made a story that could accommodate it, I wouldn't mind them having a selection of choices similar to Pokemon Battle Revolution. Obviously not exactly like that, since some of them were clearly adults, but if you could choose to look slightly older than 11 and not have it affect the story, I don't see a problem with that. And even if they just stuck with staying 11, I do think they could allow for some height and weight differences. I mean, just look at the cast from X and Y. Trevor was quite shorter than the rest, and Tierno was rather larger than the other kids. I think if you could choose to be closer to your own body type, even if restricted to the dimensions of an 11-year-old, people would like that.
The XY cast were over eleven canonically.

At least, I think they were.

Eye color and hair color definitely should be customizable from the start, though. I agree with that. And so long as there aren't too many options clothing is fine too, I guess.

I actually was going to put "age" in my comment with the height and weight but deleted it because it hardly mattered with all the other customization options. I actually thought maybe you can be older then ten if you wanted to. Hilbert and Hilda are fourteen. And there are some adults who still live with their mothers. Me for example.

Being able to choose your age wouldn't prevent kids from being able to have a kid hero, though. (Although it would probably lead to more work in story writing, since some situations would make less sense for an older player)

Being able to choose your age wouldn't prevent kids from being able to have a kid hero, though. (Although it would probably lead to more work in story writing, since some situations would make less sense for an older player)
"This is the story of a man who lives with his mother because he doesn't have a job. Lucky for him professor tree offers him an opportunity. Become a Pokemon Trainer and steal money from gradeschoolers by beating up their pets."

No offense to people who live with their mom's. I'm sure you all work really hard to find jobs.

I don't know how to fix the age thing unless they limit the highest to be 15 or 16, since teenagers are known to stay out all night if they want.

Well, everyone's got their own opinion. I scroll through the Pokédex to listen to the cries.

Anyway, do you think the game should allow multiple save files? Maybe even more customization options to change your height and weight? And maybe your skintone can be selected on a gradient scale instead of choosing one of three or four tones and your hair and eye color can be chosen separately and your hair style can also be chosen at the start. And maybe you can even select your clothes when your player first wakes up. And hey, maybe you can dress up your Pokémon?
Okay, I'll answer point by point.
Multiple save files: Yes. That way I can my normal save and my challenge in the same cartridge, instead of making backups in my 3DS like I did (They are pretty heavy).
Height/Weight: I agree with Backset, it would be kind of complicated since it has to fit *insert age here*. Could be possible if they try.
Skin color: Would be nice.
Eye color: Well, SMUSUM had the excuse of having a picture taken at the start of the game, so it made sense at the time. I hope they don't do something similar so we can have our eye color from the start. They should still give you the Contact Case in case you wanted to change color anytime in case you don't like what you start with/made a mistake.
Hairstyle: Yes please. Again, SMUSUM had an excuse. I hope we get to choose at the start because having long hair at the start and having to pay for a haircut was annoying.
Selecting clothes: That could work if they give you a small selection to start with and later you can buy more clothes.
Pokémon clothes: Another thing I would like. Maybe LGPE is testing waters to see if this can be done.

My additions to your ideas:
-Let you dye anything and however you want. It was kinda sad in Gen VII that you could only dye white clothes, and even then it was only a limited selection. In case the clothes have a pattern, they should let you dye each part individually like you could do in Rock Band 2.
-Also, add important character clothes DLC/Mystery Gifts. That way you could cosplay as any character if you wanted. Could be fun.

EDIT: Forgot another thing: Give more clothing options for guys. I always felt they had less customization than girls.

I think the reason girls have more customization options is because of modern day girls being able to wear pants and boy-like clothes while boys can't wear skirts without being mocked for crossdressing. We boys don't have has much fashion privileges as the girls... :cry:

Last edited:
I think the reason girls have more customization options is because of modern day girls being able to wear pants and boy-like clothes while boys can't wear skirts without being mocked for crossdressing. We don't have has much fashion privileges as girls...
This is Game Freak so I don't expect much, but they could literally just bypass this by going the Animal Crossing route. Don't make ANY clothes gender-locked. If there's a skirt for sale, let a boy wear it if he wants. Let a girl shave her head. It already seems like they're moving in that direction with Pikachu/Eevee dressup, as the clothes don't look locked to your starter's gender. But you never know. GF is often really backwards on simple stuff.

This is Game Freak so I don't expect much, but they could literally just bypass this by going the Animal Crossing route. Don't make ANY clothes gender-locked. If there's a skirt for sale, let a boy wear it if he wants. Let a girl shave her head. It already seems like they're moving in that direction with Pikachu/Eevee dressup, as the clothes don't look locked to your starter's gender. But you never know. GF is often really backwards on simple stuff.
I support not gender-locking clothes- there's really no good reason why a boy shouldn't be allowed to wear a skirt. If he wants to crossdress in-game, let him. >=/

Maybe they can have a plastic surgeon that changes your character's gender if you want to play as the other gender? And maybe the Name Rater can change your player name too? Though, changing your name could be awkward for your Pokémon's OT data.

Thank you, I felt this was going to get derailed. I know there are no clothes that a man can wear that a girl can't. It's just that, well, give options to guys, too. Why can't we get tuxedos, for example? Or jackets (yes, I know it would be suicide in Alola, but still...), you know, something that doesn't feel that limited as Gen VII or Gen VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom