• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, there are no patterns regarding Pokemon. It was already clear by now since Gen 5 sequels were released instead of a Gray version, Gen 6 having no follow up game whatsoever and Gen 7 having two third versions instead of one. We don't even know what kind of official starters we are going to get, after all, the Fire-type can be a goat instead of a snake, the Water-type can be a water buffalo instead of a bear and the Grass-type could be a falcon instead of an armadillo.
What's this! Are you prehaps... a real live secret agent... covertly leaking info about... the starters... for... the gen VIII... pokemon games!

What's this! Are you prehaps... a real live secret agent... covertly leaking info about... the starters... for... the gen VIII... pokemon games!
Just giving out random examples on what the starters can be instead of the rumored starters.

That Zodiac trend is a myth as is all the other "starter trends".

And every game has been three years after the other because that's generally in the timespan it takes to make and market a game while simultaneously allowing you to have a year or two to play the previously released game.

Trends come and go. Just because the Fire Starter thing doesn’t fit 100%, it’s the general direction they appear to be going.

There has been a continuous stream of games, yearly, starting in 2016 and going until 2019, likely 2020 If D/P Remakes come then. But the start of a new Generation has been a consistent 3 year gap. There where a few 4 year instances.

Lets do the Bulk - Stealth - Feminine pattern

Gen 1 - Grass (Feminine), Water (Bulk), Fire (Stealth)
Gen 2 - Grass (Feminine) - no need too go further, since the pattern is already destroyed.

Then lets do the attack (Special and Physical )and mixed pattern since gen 4

Gen 4 - Torterra (Physical) - Infernape (Mixed) - Empoleon (Special)
Gen 5 - Snivy (Mixed) - Emboar (Phyiscal) - Samurott (Special). So the pattern cannot go on here anymore, and even if Samurott and Emboar are switched, you have a problem in gen 6 with Chesnaught being Physical.

As you see, you cannot base patterns on starter line designs, since its a mess. Nothing fits.

Not even the Mixed, Attack (Both) and Defense fits.

Trends (not Patterns), Trends come and go. This Femenine/Tough/Cool trend started in Gen 6, continued in Gen 7, and there is a highly likely chance it will finish its course in Gen 8, it probably won’t continue from there. It doesn’t apply to all the starters from every single generation. The Fire Starter trend seemingly started around Gen 3. It’s not a “hard coded” pattern that can be broken. It’s the general direction they seem to be going, a trend.

there are no patterns regarding Pokemon.
the Fire-type can be a goat instead of a snake
But wouldn’t a goat still fit the Fire Starter trend (it being a sheep) :)

It was already clear by now since Gen 5 sequels were released instead of a Gray version, Gen 6 having no follow up game whatsoever and Gen 7 having two third versions instead of one
But those are “remix” games like Yellow amd Platinum. They are a bit different and haven’t really followed any trend like how Generations are 3 years apart and the Remake trend.

Yes Gamefreak can change things up, but we can still use trends to predict what we might get next. For example, there is always a regional rodent and always a regional bug, and bird. That has been a continuous trend since Gen 1. They could change it up, but there is a highly likely chance that Gen 8 will continue these trends.

I can't be the only that thinks Delphox is masculine, right? Also, there is no way Serperior is exclusively feminine.

I never bought into the feminine/masculine trend. To me, even pokemon like Lurantis and Gardevoir look very agender.

It seems like then only trend is that the final forms have some sort of more complex theme/inspiration that does not necessarily relate to each other and usually is some sort of "fantasy" class/position. This doesn't give us much to theorize on though:

Serperior (Lord) Emboar (Soldier) Samurott (Samurai)

Chestnaught (Knight) Greninja (Ninja) Delphox (Wizard)

Decidueye (Archer) Incineroar (Heel Wrestler) Primarina (Siren)

Gen 5 and 6 themes kind of went together, but gen 7 threw a wrench into things. Primarina is the only one out of these that is based on a mythical monster and not an human role. Incineraor's inspiration is much more recent than all the others. Also, Emboar's inspiration is very much up for debate. Its all just very arbitrary really.

I can't be the only that thinks Delphox is masculine, right? Also, there is no way Serperior is exclusively feminine.

I never bought into the feminine/masculine trend. To me, even pokemon like Lurantis and Gardevoir look very agender.

It seems like then only trend is that the final forms have some sort of more complex theme/inspiration that does not necessarily relate to each other and usually is some sort of "fantasy" class/position. This doesn't give us much to theorize on though:

Serperior (Lord) Emboar (Soldier) Samurott (Samurai)

Chestnaught (Knight) Greninja (Ninja) Delphox (Wizard)

Decidueye (Archer) Incineroar (Heel Wrestler) Primarina (Siren)

Gen 5 and 6 themes kind of went together, but gen 7 threw a wrench into things. Primarina is the only one out of these that is based on a mythical monster and not an human role. Incineraor's inspiration is much more recent than all the others. Also, Emboar's inspiration is very much up for debate. Its all just very arbitrary really.
In regards to primarina, you could argue that it's based around a bard or a healer. Pokemon don't have to take inspiration from only one concept. I mean, look at Serperior. Yes, it's based on French royalty. But it's also based on the concept of the Garden of Eden, being that it's literally a snake that loses its legs. And beyond that, being a grass type, it probably draws inspiration from some specific plant as well (I've read Bird of Paradise, but I'm not familiar enough with plants to confirm). So I think trying to use inspirations and concepts to exclude a Pokemon from a pattern is not valid reasoning, since any one Pokemon can have a multitude of inspirations.

Wow, look at me, advocating for patterns in Pokemon. I hate pattern theories in Pokemon.

The whole masculine/feminine thing with the starter Pokémon doesn't make sense when 7/8 of each starter species are male and 1/8 is female. Even Chikorita and Primarina are mostly male.

In regards to primarina, you could argue that it's based around a bard or a healer. Pokemon don't have to take inspiration from only one concept. I mean, look at Serperior. Yes, it's based on French royalty. But it's also based on the concept of the Garden of Eden, being that it's literally a snake that loses its legs. And beyond that, being a grass type, it probably draws inspiration from some specific plant as well (I've read Bird of Paradise, but I'm not familiar enough with plants to confirm). So I think trying to use inspirations and concepts to exclude a Pokemon from a pattern is not valid reasoning, since any one Pokemon can have a multitude of inspirations.

Wow, look at me, advocating for patterns in Pokemon. I hate pattern theories in Pokemon.

I didn't mean to argue for the the pattern one way or the other. I guess if Primarina is also a Bard, then the pattern kind of fits, but I was more trying to show that trends are in the "eye of the beholder" and that patterns are too vague to mean anything. Even if it is real and will continue; its not specific enough to tell us anything about the next games' starters or to be able to determine if any leaks are real or fake.

I do think they are taking many more inspirations for the starters in specific though when compared to gens 1 2 and 3 and compared to non-starter Pokemon. It makes sense that they would want the starters to stand out from other 'normal' Pokemon, and try to make them more relatable by giving them more human characteristics. Idk; I'm tired, rambling and probably shouldn't be making posts.

Basically what happened was, after we got the Gen 6 Starters, the Gen 7 Starters where the same but shifted around. You had the tough, bulky Chesnaught, feminine magical Delphox, and cool stealthy Greninja. Gen 7 also had the bulky/feminine/cool or stealthy trend. Decidiueye was the cool/stealthy one, Incineroar was the tough one, and Primarina was the feminine one (who also had a magical class. Delphox was a wizard, Primarina was a Siren/Healer).

It’s assumed that Gen 8 will continue this trend.
Calling Delphox feminine because its body is made to look like robes is a huge stretch.

You're isolating traits about these Pokemon just to fit a certain idea. It's easy to come up with another 'trio theme' just by looking at other traits from these Pokemon.
  • Primarina and Chesnaught both have defense-oriented sig moves (shielding or curing , so the next Fire-type will as well (perhaps one involving cleansing Fire)
  • Incineroar and Greninja are based on certain martial arts (wrestling and ninjutsu, respectively), so the next Grass-type will be based on a different martial art (likely Taekwondo, the setup for board breaking with a Grass-type is too good)
  • Delphox and Decidueye have skills involving long-range attacks (spellcasting and archery), so the next Water-type will as well (perhaps sharpshooting, for a literal water gun)
That's the problem with having only two sets to set a trend-you only need one thing in common between two Pokemon to make a prediction.

. They could do something completely different, but we’ll lose out on a feminine magical Grass Starter, cool stealthy Fire Starter, and bulky tough Water Starter.
We'll lose out on every possibility that's not chosen. That's just how choosing designs works.

That Zodiac trend is a myth as is all the other "starter trends".
This is at least the fifth time this argument has started up, and the results are always the same: Some people think it's a loose basis for Fire starters, and other people think the deviance from dog/rat disprove it. Nobody can declare it to be true or to be a myth, because nobody on this thread works for Game Freak. Can we just leave it at that? What possible benefit could come from bringing this up again?

I wonder if there's a good chance that following Pokemon will return. If you look closely at Let's Go, the animations of Kanto Mons are the same ones as the unused animations in Sun and Moon. Since we know that they reuse models from XY, I pretty sure they'd reuse the animations and models from previous games in Gen 8. They'd just have to create models and animations for the new pokemon.

Like the ones from Generations?

Actually I’ve never seen Generations so I cannot comment on that till I hear the cries, but the style I prefer are the Generation 7 starters and their evolutions- they sound like animals with some twist in the cries. It would be great if we got revamps for the earlier Generation cries so that they sound like actual animal-like beings rather than robotic ones.
Raichu however has a nice cry where it actually sounds squeaky and electric.

Starters
Calf Pokémon: Fire Type
Octopus Pokémon: Water Type
Sloth Pokémon: Grass Type

Random
Cheetah Pokémon: Electric Type
Tiger Pokémon: Ice/Normal Type
Flamingo Pokémon: Water/Flying Type
Crane Pokémon: Normal/Flying Type
Clock: Steel Type
Hourglass Pokémon: Steel/Ground Type
Peacock Pokémon: Grass/Flying Type
Sphinx Pokémon: Rock/Psychic Type
Stegosaurus Pokémon: Electric/Rock Type
Parasaurolophus Pokémon: Fire/Rock Type
Angel Pokémon: Fairy/Flying Type
Jester Pokémon: Dark/Fairy Type
Gazelle/Antelope Pokémon: Normal Type
Rattlesnake Pokémon: Rock/Poison Type
Porcupine/Gopher Pokémon that look just like Pikachu: Electric/Ground Type
Dolphin Pokémon: Water Type.

Legendary
Unicorn/Horse Pokémon: Pyshic/Fairy Type.
Butterfly/Moth Pokémon: Bug/Dark Type.
Sea Serpent Pokémon: Dragon /Water Type.

Last edited:
I wonder if there's a good chance that following Pokemon will return. If you look closely at Let's Go, the animations of Kanto Mons are the same ones as the unused animations in Sun and Moon. Since we know that they reuse models from XY, I pretty sure they'd reuse the animations and models from previous games in Gen 8. They'd just have to create models and animations for the new pokemon.
I think they only brought following Pokemon back in LGPE so they could emulate Pokemon Go's buddy system.

I think they only brought following Pokemon back in LGPE so they could emulate Pokemon Go's buddy system.
The reason why following Pokemon became unused in the Gen 7 games was because the 3DS was getting pushed to its limit, anything more would even make the overworld laggy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom