• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so what exactly are the realms we have. Side by side? I have a general idea but not a for sure knowing. I didn’t realize for a long time they were based on actual regions.
Right now, we've got Kanto and Johto confirmed to be next to each other, and Sinnoh and Hoenn that are also based on Japanese regions. (Serebii speculates on what this might look like here Serebii.net Pokéarth ) Everything else is based on pretty separate locations geographically. (New York, Hawaii, France)

What a hypocritical thing to say. They’re the ones who make breeding so grindy, and instead of improving it he complains that people spend too much time on eggs? Yeeesh.

And why not add more postgame if you don’t want people to think “Pokemon is hatching eggs”?

Okay, this frustrates me. I get that he's making up reasons on the spot to justify what is actually in the game, but I just read this from Iwata Asks Black 2 White 2 last night:

Iwata: For a lot of children, the first game they get is a Pokémon game.

Masuda: Yes, so I try to put in lots of elements that are easy to understand. For battles, I pursue depth, so I create a building like a tower and have players who want to battle enjoy that, but I don’t mind if others who aren’t interested just pass by.

They are going to fail so hard this kills the main series games or at least puts them in a coma.

It won't. If you read the interview I linked prior, they said they're working on a console open worldish RPG, with the emphasis on what a mainline Pokemon game should look like on a console. Let's Go is very obviously a means to get people to buy a switch so they can continue their streak of outselling pretty much everything else. They always wait for an established base and Let's Go is just a means to an end, as boneheaded and clunky as that might seem.

It won't. If you read the interview I linked prior, they said they're working on a console open worldish RPG, with the emphasis on what a mainline Pokemon game should look like on a console. Let's Go is very obviously a means to get people to buy a switch so they can continue their streak of outselling pretty much everything else. They always wait for an established base and Let's Go is just a means to an end, as boneheaded and clunky as that might seem.
I highly doubt that. That doesn't line up with GF's mindset.

Ok so the first two are sort of their own region anyway, so there are plenty of places they could go. I agree though Ireland might be too close to france. T.T goodbye my cute little tartan charas and rolling green hills.

Is that why Masuda insists that these games are also for “traditional” Pokemon players?

It’s annoying how he’s pretending to appeal to long time fans of the series while removing so much that was added over the years.

I think this is more the co-op mode, which is why the emphasis is on together. And as I've mentioned, the title is, "Let's Go," which communicates talking to another person. It really seems same room multiplayer is the key to this game... They're just not allowed to say that. When he gets in to specifics, he usually mentions parent and child. Let's Go is a bizarre hybrid zero-sum game, but that is what the plan was so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm saving up for a PS4 Pro and KH3 so I won't be buying this at retail price for a while. I'm not trying to defend the games with my posts, just pointing out that everything about the marketing is wrong and I think trying to make it out to be as in depth as classic mainline games will only lead to frustration. He's saying veterans can enjoy it, which is different than saying it was made with us in mind. He had a whole thing where he talked about making the game look non-threatening to mothers if they walk in and look at what their kid was playing. There's just no getting around that this isn't a remake the likes of firered or leafgreen. It's a reimagining at best. Mainline, for sure, but not "all-new".

Ok so the first two are sort of their own region anyway, so there are plenty of places they could go. I agree though Ireland might be too close to france. T.T goodbye my cute little tartan charas and rolling green hills.
Aw, I was thinking just the opposite-I was thinking it'd be fun to have another region nearby to another! (Especially seeing how little of Europe we've seen!)

K I know this is off topic but speaking of lack of hype there is like nothing on KH3. Shocks the h*** outta me. Anyway moving on from that.

I would love it too, but I can kind of see why they wouldn’t. Although a rome could be fun too with a re-imagining of the coliseum. Like maybe in the old days they battled pokemon there...do we have chimera pokemon?

I think having an exclusive Nintendo Switch edition that comes bundled with one of the games will be the important part: getting more users in time for 2019. It's less how much does Let's Go sell and how many new Pokemon or Switch players it brings..

That's more or less the point I was trying to get at, but you summed it up much better than me. From my experience, there are a lot of people buying switches who haven't owned a Nintendo console since the GBA/N64 and there are probably a lot of Pokemon fans who buy Nintendo consoles mainly to play Pokemon who don't own a Switch yet. Let's Go almost just feels like advertisement for the Franchise as a whole, like, "Hey, we are still around making games and we are making them on the Switch now". It's whatever. I don't really have an opinion on the games at the moment. If I were to go into "conspiracy mode" I would almost say that Let's Go was not entirely GameFreak's idea so I'm not going to use anything they say or do with these games as reason to worry.

My take on gen. 8. I hope they do an ireland setting. Green rolling hills, or a mostly ice region with lots of bundled clothes. I think it would be adorable and ice really doesn’t have too much love in my experience.

Also who thinks there will be a new eeveelution this round, and if so which typing? I personally think yes because it seems like they are going to do more with their already being 8 and it being every other generation fits the year. As for typing I have no idea, but I would love a dragon or flying.

Well we're finally getting a steel eeveelution in Let's Go called Meltan.

Last edited:
I think this is more the co-op mode, which is why the emphasis is on together. And as I've mentioned, the title is, "Let's Go," which communicates talking to another person. It really seems same room multiplayer is the key to this game... They're just not allowed to say that. When he gets in to specifics, he usually mentions parent and child. Let's Go is a bizarre hybrid zero-sum game, but that is what the plan was so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm saving up for a PS4 Pro and KH3 so I won't be buying this at retail price for a while. I'm not trying to defend the games with my posts, just pointing out that everything about the marketing is wrong and I think trying to make it out to be as in depth as classic mainline games will only lead to frustration. He's saying veterans can enjoy it, which is different than saying it was made with us in mind. He had a whole thing where he talked about making the game look non-threatening to mothers if they walk in and look at what their kid was playing. There's just no getting around that this isn't a remake the likes of firered or leafgreen. It's a reimagining at best. Mainline, for sure, but not "all-new".
I feel like Let's Go's main focus is between capitalizing on GO and the fact that all the kids who played Red and Blue are now old enough to have their own kids so here's a product for those parents to share with their children. Though I don't think those kids would be very old yet, which extra explains the baby-named new moves they gave Pikachu and Eevee- Buzzy Buzz and Splishy Splash will never stop sounding stupid.

do we have chimera pokemon?
Silvally

I highly doubt that. That doesn't line up with GF's mindset.

Did you watch the interview? They reply to forum posts from years ago saying, "Hey! We're making that now!"

Pokémon’s Developers Talk About Their Console RPG Debut On Switch

It says debut, but if you watch the video it is obviously not Let's Go. They explicitly respond to posts asking for an open world RPG. You can believe what you want, but it's silly to ignore something directly from their mouths. (Especially as so much frustration comes from Masuda's interviews. You can't just take one of them and ignore the other.) 2019 is the game they're using so people stop asking about when it's going to happen. They are in full merchandising mode for Let's Go, which I find 2017 is more likely to produce an honest interview.

That's more or less the point I was trying to get at, but you summed it up much better than me. From my experience, there are a lot of people buying switches who haven't owned a Nintendo console since the GBA/N64 and there are probably a lot of Pokemon fans who buy Nintendo consoles mainly to play Pokemon who don't own a Switch yet. Let's Go almost just feels like advertisement for the Franchise as a whole, like, "Hey, we are still around making games and we are making them on the Switch now". It's whatever. I don't really have an opinion on the games at the moment. If I were to go into "conspiracy mode" I would almost say that Let's Go was not entirely GameFreak's idea so I'm not going to use anything they say or do with these games as reason to worry.

It is exactly that. It's why before Let's Go was announced all they would say is, "I dont't what's happening, just be sure to buy a switch. ;) "

Going off your conspiracy (because conspiracies are my favorite trash) Masuda was in charge with helping Niantic develop Go. This was the first time he didn't develop the first mainline of a gen since the gameboy. He mentioned developing Let's Go for a while, because game development takes time. It's entirely possible they had Let's Go planned, especially after Go's success. This means it was in planning while only Gen 1 was available, and they took it to mean they should try and simplify everything. Except it didn't die down like they were expecting and so now they have a game they have to promote with a flawed conception. I mean, sun and moon were codenamed rainbow so it could go as far back as that. And now they just have to smile and get this thing out while making sure 2019 is the opposite of it in practically every way. I can't imagine them announcing 2019 unless they expected backlash.

That’s true I guess silvally kind of is...I want a super kick butt hippogriff next that sounds fun.

Uuuuugh yeah not quite an eeveelution haha.

I feel like Let's Go's main focus is between capitalizing on GO and the fact that all the kids who played Red and Blue are now old enough to have their own kids so here's a product for those parents to share with their children. Though I don't think those kids would be very old yet, which extra explains the baby-named new moves they gave Pikachu and Eevee- Buzzy Buzz and Splishy Splash will never stop sounding stupid.

It's the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse of Pokemon games. Hot Dog Hot Dog Hot Diggety Dog

DON'T FORGET OUR MASCOT EVEN AS IT TAKES LESS AND LESS PRESEDENCE

Also I just have to post this because I think Pokemon is great, but they sometimes don't understand their fans. It's why I'm always pumped for a new Gen and am skeptical about pretty much everything else.

Ishihara: When we made metal charms, we thought that a set of the three Pokémon that the player first chooses from would sell the most, but actually the set with Litwick, Lampent, and Chandelure was the top seller by far.

Iwata: At the time, you said that production couldn't keep up.

Ishihara: Yeah. I was like, "Huh? Why?!" But store personnel said "Of course it would sell! Litwick is cute and Chandelure is strong!" and I was like, "Oh, is that so?" (laughs)

It's easy to get confused thinkinh market saturation=popularity, but Pokemon is such a personal experience.

Where what this stated? i've watch each of the videos listed in the article and nowhere was it mentioned that the 2019 game would be semi-open world.

Where what this stated? i've watch each of the videos listed in the article and nowhere was it mentioned that the 2019 game would be semi-open world.

Screenshot_20181016-232058_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

Screenshot_20181016-232112_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

Screenshot_20181016-232122_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

Screenshot_20181016-232131_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

Screenshot_20181016-232143_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

Screenshot_20181016-232154_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181016-232205_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg
    Screenshot_20181016-232205_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 38

It doesn't mention 2019 specifically, but read the interviews with Let's Go. This is not referring to Let's Go. Unless there's some unannounced game, this is referring to Pokemon 2019.

Edit: From an interview with Famitsu, Ishihara stated:

The new title coming out in the second half of 2019 will be a completely different game from Pokémon Let’s Go. It is not an entry game, but a game that we want longtime fans of the Pokémon series to look forward to.

The game will give a good understanding of what an evolved Pokémon game looks like after it has continued to succeed the traditions of Game Freak.

We want to make Pokémon fans say “this is what I’ve been waiting for” by delivering a brand-new product packed with gameplay elements and plenty of new Pokémon to encounter.

So again, the people complaining about Let's Go (as the basis for 2019 hesitation, not for it's own very visible shortcomings) really should be reserving judgment until we know more about 2019. Let's Go is an entry game, as implied here. 2019 is specifically mentioned as not an entry game, which is a big deal coming from them.

Last edited:
Wait

The game will give a good understanding of what an evolved Pokémon game looks like after it has continued to succeed the traditions of Game Freak.

Oh yeah, adding this to my plus and minus crack pile of innovation vs. tradition. Or rather, evolution vs tradition. Definitely seems like it'll follow the even number game tradition of focusing on evolution, but now in all meanings of the word. I am excite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom