• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think their confidence about the 2019 games is what has me holding my breath more so than the short-comings of Let's go. I'm trying to keep expectations to a bare minimum and yet...this is the first time, that I can remember, that they have stated a game is specifically geared towards long-time fans. I can't keep myself from getting excited every time I read that interview. Don't let me down, Gamefreak. "This is what I've been waiting for"

In an attempt to shift focus; I know a lot of people want a difficulty level setting, but I'm very on the fence with how that could work and be fun. I was thinking, though, that it might be more interesting to be able to select the "Battle Style" before the game. Like you can choose between Normal, Double, Triple or Rotation and then decide whether you want Inverse Battles or not. "Boss" teams could be optimized to fit whatever you choose. One of the things I enjoyed most about the GC games was having double battles the entire game. I think more Pokemon are viable and fun to use when you are able to have double battles.

In an attempt to shift focus; I know a lot of people want a difficulty level setting, but I'm very on the fence with how that could work and be fun.
I don't think it really needs to be fun, though. It's just a simple setting, like text speed or screen brightness.
I was thinking, though, that it might be more interesting to be able to select the "Battle Style" before the game. Like you can choose between Normal, Double, Triple or Rotation and then decide whether you want Inverse Battles or not. "Boss" teams could be optimized to fit whatever you choose. One of the things I enjoyed most about the GC games was having double battles the entire game. I think more Pokemon are viable and fun to use when you are able to have double battles.
That sounds like an awesome idea! It'd lead to a lot of creative strategizing!

Hey, thanks.

I guess I just don't know what the difficulty setting would/should change. Would it bump levels up? Would it change how the AI acts? Would it add more Pokemon to trainer teams? Would a blackout send you back to your last save? I'm not even sure how it works in other RPGs like Persona. I usually don't bother with it and keep it on default or suggested. If it works like it did in B2W2, it would increase levels and add 1 Pokemon. On one hand, I don't like the idea of simply increasing levels and would just ignore it. On the other hand, I'd feel like I'm missing out by not seeing a gym leader's "full team". I'd rather have something that completely changes the way the game is played even if it isn't necessarily harder. However, the two ideas aren't mutually exclusive I guess.

Hey, thanks.

I guess I just don't know what the difficulty setting would/should change. Would it bump levels up? Would it change how the AI acts? Would it add more Pokemon to trainer teams? Would a blackout send you back to your last save? I'm not even sure how it works in other RPGs like Persona. I usually don't bother with it and keep it on default or suggested. If it works like it did in B2W2, it would increase levels and add 1 Pokemon. On one hand, I don't like the idea of simply increasing levels and would just ignore it. On the other hand, I'd feel like I'm missing out by not seeing a gym leader's "full team". I'd rather have something that completely changes the way the game is played even if it isn't necessarily harder. However, the two ideas aren't mutually exclusive I guess.
I imagine higher levels, maybe smarter AI, possibly different teams for gym leaders and the elite 4- let's say on hard mode that a gym leader that would normally have fewer pokemon would have a full team to defeat instead. That kind of thing would probably satisfy a more difficult challenge rating in a very simple way. And simple implementation is kind of key in adding difficulties because I can't see them doing a whole lot more work for an optional mode so- low expectations tend to receive more favorable results.

Also, moveset changes. BW2 had a few trainers' Pokemon use better moves, either as a simple upgrade (Clay's Sandshrew goes from Rollout to Rockslide), movesets to better capitalize on a Pokemon's stats (Skyla's Swoobat ditches Assurance for Energy Ball), provide counters against certain types (again, Skyla's Swoobat), or to work towards a bigger strategy. (Clay's Krokorok knows Sandstorm in Challenge Mode, which damages most enemy Pokemon and synergizes with Sandshlash and Excadrill's abilities.)

I imagine higher levels, maybe smarter AI, possibly different teams for gym leaders and the elite 4- let's say on hard mode that a gym leader that would normally have fewer pokemon would have a full team to defeat instead. That kind of thing would probably satisfy a more difficult challenge rating in a very simple way. And simple implementation is kind of key in adding difficulties because I can't see them doing a whole lot more work for an optional mode so- low expectations tend to receive more favorable results.

Maybe if they expanded the battle resort to be its own gym challenge? Like each gym had different badges you could earn after beating the game that also translated to a different Elite 4. Maybe it's rentals. Maybe Double Battles. I bet that wouldn't be too hard to implement, either, and could do a lot in terms of replayability.

Also, moveset changes. BW2 had a few trainers' Pokemon use better moves, either as a simple upgrade (Clay's Sandshrew goes from Rollout to Rockslide), movesets to better capitalize on a Pokemon's stats (Skyla's Swoobat ditches Assurance for Energy Ball), provide counters against certain types (again, Skyla's Swoobat), or to work towards a bigger strategy. (Clay's Krokorok knows Sandstorm in Challenge Mode, which damages most enemy Pokemon and synergizes with Sandshlash and Excadrill's abilities.)

Oh wow, this makes me so excited to get to Black 2 in my replay and finally try out challenge mode.

Not really sure how adding moves makes things more difficult. Sure they now have more in their arsenal, but if you still have a balanced team that can handle almost all threats to your team, then there not much to worry about than you have before. Same for adding higher levels. Even during the EXP share buff, higher levels doesn't usually mean much more challenging. Just a bit tougher but will probably go down just as fast. All I'm sayin is, pokemon fans that ask for a challenge is like a guy wearing body gear asks to play dodgeball. He knows how the game works and he's very prepared, but get's mad that nothing hurts him.

Not really sure how adding moves makes things more difficult.
Stronger attacks, better stat boosts, more of a problem to deal with?
Sure they now have more in their arsenal, but if you still have a balanced team that can handle almost all threats to your team, then there not much to worry about than you have before.
The idea is that it'll create a new threat that wasn't planned for. (It's pretty hard to have a team that counters every possible strategy, especially when players don't have access to everything)

All I'm sayin is, pokemon fans that ask for a challenge is like a guy wearing body gear asks to play dodgeball. He knows how the game works and he's very prepared, but get's mad that nothing hurts him.
Except in this analogy, the guy doesn't have access to his body gear-even if he knows it'd help him, he won't be able to use it and will have to think of something else. And if it was really possible to get to a point where everything was easy, why do Showdown and VGC have any plaers?

Not really sure how adding moves makes things more difficult. Sure they now have more in their arsenal, but if you still have a balanced team that can handle almost all threats to your team, then there not much to worry about than you have before. Same for adding higher levels. Even during the EXP share buff, higher levels doesn't usually mean much more challenging. Just a bit tougher but will probably go down just as fast. All I'm sayin is, pokemon fans that ask for a challenge is like a guy wearing body gear asks to play dodgeball. He knows how the game works and he's very prepared, but get's mad that nothing hurts him.

After playing Platinum and the Gen 7 Totem battles, I can say there were a couple times I got my ass kicked. Platinum in particar does a great of making use of the newly split physical and special moves, as well as building on abilities to really screw you over if you aren't careful or have the wrong team. I think it's been a conscious decision on their part to make battles less punishing. They build the balance, so they could make things that would be truly challening instead of 3 geodudes and a graveler that all have the sturdy ability to not just one-shot them. Having trainers with surprise Pokemon types could help, too. Especially if you turn off being asked if you want to switch Pokemon each round.

Stronger attacks, better stat boosts, more of a problem to deal with?

The idea is that it'll create a new threat that wasn't planned for. (It's pretty hard to have a team that counters every possible strategy, especially when players don't have access to everything)

Except in this analogy, the guy doesn't have access to his body gear-even if he knows it'd help him, he won't be able to use it and will have to think of something else. And if it was really possible to get to a point where everything was easy, why do Showdown and VGC have any plaers?
You seem to forget one crucial thing in terms of planning out for the game, and that's that the internet is available. People can easily look up pokemon and their locations, stats, and moves online and plan around the team for the rest of the game. Same in terms of upcoming battle and gym leaders. Regardless of how much the computer has, there's plenty of ways for players to plan around it, even in the toughest difficulty. Also I think I missed something, but how did VGC and Showdown become part of this?

You seem to forget one crucial thing in terms of planning out for the game, and that's that the internet is available. People can easily look up pokemon and their locations, stats, and moves online and plan around the team for the rest of the game. Same in terms of upcoming battle and gym leaders. Regardless of how much the computer has, there's plenty of ways for players to plan around it, even in the toughest difficulty. Also I think I missed something, but how did VGC and Showdown become part of this?

Anyone wanting to use the hard mode will not look up everything to take away the challenge and plan their team to make the experience easier.

You're saying that nobody does that?

Why would someone who wants to make their journey challenging intentionally sabotage the feature supposed to make it more challenging? At this point it’s the person's fault.
The people who’re demanding for a hard mode are obviously not the ones who'll do that.

You seem to forget one crucial thing in terms of planning out for the game, and that's that the internet is available. People can easily look up pokemon and their locations, stats, and moves online and plan around the team for the rest of the game. Same in terms of upcoming battle and gym leaders.
Sure, but if a player is doing that, there's no reason they'd be asking for a difficulty mode, because they're going out of their way to make the game easier for themselves.
Also I think I missed something, but how did VGC and Showdown become part of this?
VGC and Showdown are examples where players seek out difficult battles, even when they have access to every resource and a good amount of knowledge behind their strategizing.

Why would someone who wants to make their journey challenging intentionally sabotage the feature supposed to make it more challenging? At this point it’s the person's fault.
The people who’re demanding for a hard mode are obviously not the ones who'll do that.
Simple, to make the game last longer. Like I mentioned earlier, make pokemon higher leveled makes it not go down as quick. Essentially extending overall time of the game, even if only a little bit. some people don't really care for the surprises that , just going through the journey itself they consider it fun. why else would some people restart their game to go through it again?

Sure, but if a player is doing that, there's no reason they'd be asking for a difficulty mode, because they're going out of their way to make the game easier for themselves.

VGC and Showdown are examples where players seek out difficult battles, even when they have access to every resource and a good amount of knowledge behind their strategizing.

That's kind of how games work. You figure things out to make things better for yourself, whether the easy way or the hard way.

Also the meta is basically a prediction game like chess. any pokemon can potentially one shot the other on any team. Not to mention practically everyone has the exact same sets as other so again it's all about predicting what comes out. There's never really a true sense of struggle between each others individual pokemon, just more or less widdling down one after the other.

Last edited:
That's kind of how games work. You figure things out to make things better for yourself, whether the easy way or the hard way.
Exactly why people are wanting a difficulty option.
Also the meta is basically a prediction game like chess. any pokemon can potentially one shot the other on any team.
Type charts kinda ensure that no move will OHKO every Pokemon.
. Not to mention practically everyone has the exact same sets as other so again it's all about predicting what comes out.
No? Just look at this:

View: https://youtu.be/ObGnEFujuBE?t=587

There's only one Pokemon repeated here. And this is the finals of the masters division.

Exactly why people are wanting a difficulty option.

Type charts kinda ensure that no move will OHKO every Pokemon.

No? Just look at this:

View: https://youtu.be/ObGnEFujuBE?t=587

There's only one Pokemon repeated here. And this is the finals of the masters division.

Then what's the point of type advantages?

Also they still use pokemon that many others have in their teams. Especially in the championships.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom