• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it hard to believe that any of the pokemon player characters, especially the sm ones, are actually ten. Either that or they have a genetic disorder that makes them ridiculously tall.
None of them are 10. That's a myth propagated by the anime. Red, Leaf, and the SM protags are confirmed to be 11, Brendan and May are confirmed to be 12 in ORAS, while Hilbert and Hilda are at least 16 (it was mentioned in the BW manual that they are old enough to have driver's licenses).

None of them are 10. That's a myth propagated by the anime. Red, Leaf, and the SM protags are confirmed to be 11, Brendan and May are confirmed to be 12 in ORAS, while Hilbert and Hilda are at least 16 (it was mentioned in the BW manual that they are old enough to have driver's licenses).
I fail to see the difference between 10 and 11. They're still way too tall to be 11. Red is the only one to be even close to his confirmed age of 11.

Dawn and Lucas are 1.4m and 1.43m, respectively. That would place them in the 10-11 age range.

Ethan, Lyra, Brendan and May are around 1.5m, making them 12 (which is confirmed for the latter two).

Really hoping to see pokemon at their proper scales-
Isn't this already fixed in LGPE? I wouldn't expect that to change soon.

and hopefully to get some old pokedex heights adjusted because there are some that just look ridiculous at a glance- like furret.
That height is probably Furret's length including its tail.

Last edited:
I would personally be happy if LGPE becomes some sort of side series. It's not that I want to split the fanbase, but you can't deny the fact that Pokemon has fans of all ages. It's true that something "made for kids" can be enjoyed by anyone, but sometimes it's nice to give something to older fans who may want something different like a more challenging game (though, arguably, that can be fixed with difficulty settings).

There were days when I was under the impression that the people behind Pokemon were embarrassed of the adult fans as if trying to hide their existence. I know this is probably not true at all, but it's the feeling I got when Yokai Watch was really big in Japan, parents seemingly approved of it because it wasn't violent like Pokemon and in general it was a "kid's franchise, untouched by adults". As seen in Gen VII the trainer characters look visibly younger compared to XY or even the Gen V trainer characters. The anime itself became more lighthearted and comedic, complete with a school setting and all. Again, I'm not saying that's what they were doing. It's just my personal impression of the style/tone shift between Gen VI and Gen VII. Don't take it as me trying to say "woah they are not catering to adult me anymore boo" because that's not what I'm trying to convey.

Having LGPE as a more kid-friendly series along with the more veteran-oriented series would be good in my book for the reasons @Feign stated. It can give parents a peace of mind, and likely introduce a lot of children to Pokemon who will go on to become the fans we are today. I'm not interested in LGPE myself so I'll let people who want to enjoy it do so but I can't help myself and say this one thing: LGPE so far looks to be a little too dumbed down. Kids played RBY just fine back then, some not even knowing English probably, because the games weren't translated in every language. I had to play Gold without knowing English, yet I got all the way to Kanto. If anything, I think kids are smarter these days. That's all I'll say on this topic. Just my opinion.

I just hope they won't do the same mistake with the 2019 game as they did with USUM. I don't hate USUM despite my criticism of it (I put more hours into UM than Y or Moon) but I'm still not happy with how they handled USUM's marketing. The whole "a new Alola you haven't seen before" when in fact, it really wasn't all that different. What I'm saying is that they seem rather confident in the 2019 game and I hope it's for a good reason, not just for PR.
I agree. When I was growing up, my brother, cousins and friends would play Pokémon. As we got older, I was the only one who continued playing. My parents told ( And continue to tell me to grow up and play ‘ mature ‘ things like Star Wars. )

That being said, Let’s Go is not for me. I’m already burned on USM, and Let’s Go is clearly designed for beginners ( or Go players? I can’t tell. )

My main concern is how Let’s Go is going to influence the 2019 games. I know they said it would be a traditional experience, but let’s not forget how they promised USM as a whole new adventure, even though it didn’t. I'm so burned on USM that I won't buy the 3rd version if its the same story with slightly less content. So I don’t trust GF for now.

While I don’t mind the overworld encounters and maybe the catching mechanics, it’s the fact that there lowering the standards for mobile games that worries me. This is a Red Flag, since GF thinks that 2 hours is too long for an RPG. The main competition should be BoW, Odyssey, Smash Ultimate etc. for the switch. Let’s also not forget that this wasn't the first time Pokémon has been knocked down for mobile games - XY cough cough

Last edited:
It would be great to see if the game asks at the begininng whether or not you have played Pokemon before. If yes, then there wouldn't be any tutorials. If no, then tutorials.

Just a simple question and viola!
Yes.
I agree. When I was growing up, my brother, cousins and friends would play Pokémon. As we got older, I was the only one who continued playing. My parents told ( And continue to tell me to grow up and play ‘ mature ‘ things like Star Wars. )

That being said, Let’s Go is not for me. I’m already burned on USM, and Let’s Go is clearly designed for beginners ( or Go players? I can’t tell. )

My main concern is how Let’s Go is going to influence the 2019 games. I know they said it would be a traditional experience, but let’s not forget how they promised USM as a whole new adventure, even though it didn’t. I'm so burned on USM that I won't buy the 3rd version if its the same story with slightly less content. So I don’t trust GF for now.

While I don’t mind the overworld encounters and maybe the catching mechanics, it’s the fact that there lowering the standards for mobile games that worries me. This is a Red Flag, since GF thinks that 2 hours is too long for an RPG. The main competition should be BoW, Odyssey, Smash Ultimate etc. for the switch. Let’s also not forget that this wasn't the first time Pokémon has been knocked down for mobile games - XY cough cough
The irony here is that Star Wars isn't really that mature of a franchise.

Isn't this already fixed in LGPE? I wouldn't expect that to change soon.

That height is probably Furret's length including its tail.

Yeah LGPE shows excellent promise but it would be a let down if the proper scale is only in LGPE and not in Gen 8. I want to see all pokemon to scale, not just the original 151 + Meltan.

And yeah, that's the best explanation for Furret, but that doesn't really change that it says that its "height" is nearly 6' and not its length.

I find it hard to believe that any of the pokemon player characters, especially the sm ones, are actually ten. Either that or they have a genetic disorder that makes them ridiculously tall.
I know Red,Green, Gold, and Crystal are 10. Brendan, May, Elio, and Selene are 11. The rest are in the their teen years. 15 tops.

Actually, Hilda and Hilbert are said to be visualized with the agemark of 16 in mind.

Hugh, Nate and Rosa I think are slightly younger (at least they look like it), so I'd say late 14, early 15.

In X/Y, Emma at a point adresses you in a way that implies that you are of a higher age than she is. Considering Emma is confirmed to be 16, they're likely closer to the 18 mark than others. Can't see them being much older than Emma though so I suppose Calem and Serena are like 17, almost 18? 18 if you stretch it.

I wonder why they start the Pokemon journey so late in Unova and Kalos.

If I remember right, in Kalos, Sycamore needs to specifically choose you in order for you to go on your journey.

In Unova, I'd like to think Hilda/Hilbert and Cheren started out later because they knew Bianca wouldn't be allowed to go out on her own through the region at that young age.

But in BW2, it's also implied that the local professor needs to chose you as the BW2 mom says that Juniped called her 'cause she had a Pokedex for you. But even in BW1 its implied you became a trainer solely because Juniper chose the three of you specifically to give a mon too.

Besides that, consider that in Gen I you are the local Professor's favourite, in Gen II you live next to his lab, in Gen III you save him from the Poochyena and you are a Gym Leader's kid, and in Gen IV you technically just straight up used Rowan's pokémon without asking and he accepts you as 'his dexholder' after your declaration and that you get along well with your mon, it seems that, unless you have some sort of connections/special cases, it's normal business that the Professor picks people fit to be trainers regardless of age.

Besides, 10 is the minimal age. Also a possibily that they or their parents only allowed them to go on a journey when theg were a bit older and more responsible.

Last edited:
SM had a bit of elements of 'reality ensues' when it came to training in the gameverse: IE the games were thicker on the idea you can't do that for a living unlike in some other continuities where it is implied you could.

I'd admit liking to see Gen 8 try and bring over the idea of 'professional trainers as a career' the way the anime occasionally has it as well as some manga.

I'd admit liking to see Gen 8 try and bring over the idea of 'professional trainers as a career' the way the anime occasionally has it as well as some manga.
What do you mean? We have gym leaders, Elite Four members and Champions who do it as a career. Granted, some of them are teens who may be doing it temporarily, but it's a career even for them.

What do you mean? We have gym leaders, Elite Four members and Champions who do it as a career. Granted, some of them are teens who may be doing it temporarily, but it's a career even for them.
That makes sense as a career, though, since they're actually providing a service- how do you make a career of just being a trainer, though?

Though come to think of it, how do gym leaders and the like pay the bills either, since most of their clientele are a bunch of hobo children- spectators who pay to watch, maybe?

That makes sense as a career, though, since they're actually providing a service- how do you make a career of just being a trainer, though?

Though come to think of it, how do gym leaders and the like pay the bills either, since most of their clientele are a bunch of hobo children- spectators who pay to watch, maybe?

I'd like an exploration of training as something more akin to sporting players. Where you can make income competing in tournaments, events, and leagues outside of pure badge hunting and E4 busting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom