• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about... a gender ambiguous professor? *eyebrow wiggle*
As long as they their own gender turns out to be one of the game’s mysteries. The plot twist could be that they they were secretly a Ditto and thus doesn’t really have a gender.

Last edited:
Quick question.
With Meltan and Melmetal supposedly being Gen 7 Pokemon, it seems very possible with their index numbers, are we really looking at Gen 8 next year or something else entirely?

What would "something else entirely" be? Either they include a considerable amount of new Pokemon (which would be generally considered a new generation) or they use only old Pokemon, which would be odd coming after LGPE.

Let's really break the mold and have a game without a professor. Or have the regional professor be some one you meet much later in the game and you get your starter in a different way.

Quick question.
With Meltan and Melmetal supposedly being Gen 7 Pokemon, it seems very possible with their index numbers, are we really looking at Gen 8 next year or something else entirely?

I'm pretty sure one of the vague things they promised was that next year's game would have plenty of new Pokemon, so I assume that means new gen unless they do something really bizarre like remake Gen 4 with a new regional dex.

Also, just another thought for potential speculation. Gen 5 added things that were referenced by NPCs in past games e.i: Munna and the scientist at Devon who mentions building a machine to see Pokemon's dreams (in ORAS he mentions being beat by his rival in Unova; paraphrasing) I think that GameFreak could potentially do something similar for gen 8 since older fans would notice and appreciate it. Are there any similar references by other NPCs?

Last edited:
I think Munna is honestly a stretch-pink with flowers is a pretty vague description-but they definitely do past references! There's also that Alola reference in XY!

True, Munna could be a coincidence. I'll be interested to see if the NPC in Let's Go says anything about it. Other than the strange souvenir, I can't remember any references. Though that was much more deliberate teasing.

I was thinking somewhere more along the lines of the character in XY who asks why anyone would want a machine that turns people into Pokemon. They could somehow incorporate that as a feature, although, I don't see that ending well. I can't remember any other characters talking about nonexistent/unseen technology or Pokemon.

As long as they their own gender turns out to be one of the game’s mysteries.
Why does that matter? If their gender is not revealed, it shouldn't matter to us.

It's not like we see the Professor much anyway. But actually, I think it would be nice to have a professor that's gender neutral.

Why does that matter? If their gender is not revealed, it shouldn't matter to us.

It's not like we see the Professor much anyway. But actually, I think it would be nice to have a professor that's gender neutral.
I’m saying that so we can get a plot twist like “the professor was a Ditto all this time!”

That makes sense as a career, though, since they're actually providing a service- how do you make a career of just being a trainer, though?

Though come to think of it, how do gym leaders and the like pay the bills either, since most of their clientele are a bunch of hobo children- spectators who pay to watch, maybe?
It’s implied even as early as Gen I that Gym Leaders moonlight in other fields. As of around Gen IV/V, the implication is actually that being a Gym Leader is actually their side gig.

-Erika does flower arrangements
-Surge is an army vet
-Blaine is a scientist (implied to have created Mewtwo with Fuji)
-Giovanni runs the Poke-Yakuza

-Bugsy’s also a scientist with a focus on Bug Pokémon
-it’s implied Jasmine’s the de facto lighthouse keeper
-it’s implied Chuck runs a dojo

-Roxanne is a student of archeology if her ORAS Gym is anything to go by
-by the same token, Brawly runs a Gym gym
-Watson’s an engineer
-Wallace is literally a lorekeeper

-Roark and Byron are miners
-Crasher Wake is a wrestler

So on.

What would "something else entirely" be? Either they include a considerable amount of new Pokemon (which would be generally considered a new generation) or they use only old Pokemon, which would be odd coming after LGPE.
New Pokemon in an old region. Would that be considered Gen 8? But that would be strange after LGPE.

I hope that new Pokemon doesn't always equal new generation.

Just imagine if the first trailer next year opens with Kanto in its current guise. But then! '100 years later' appears and Kanto is shown to be sunken into the ground. That would be the ultimate surprise. :p

It’s implied even as early as Gen I that Gym Leaders moonlight in other fields. As of around Gen IV/V, the implication is actually that being a Gym Leader is actually their side gig.

-Surge is an army vet

-Watson’s an engineer

So on.

Is it implied for Blaine? I know he created Mewtwo in PokéSpe.

-Surge is an army vet

-Watson’s an engineer

So on.

Meanwhile, in the Manga its said the Pokemon Association takes care of their salary and all that. We just don't know if something like that exists game-wise.

-Surge is an army vet

-Watson’s an engineer

So on.

Alright, so we know that the gym leaders definitely have their living sorted out- but how do trainers make a living? They're not providing a service to anyone by catching pokemon, really. Sure, they can take money from other trainers when they win a match but where are other trainers getting their money?

This is one of those things that would be a neat feat of worldbuilding if they would actually go in-depth on how it works.

Then again, maybe the side jobs in the games now are addressing that in a way.

Alright, so we know that the gym leaders definitely have their living sorted out- but how do trainers make a living? They're not providing a service to anyone by catching pokemon, really. Sure, they can take money from other trainers when they win a match but where are other trainers getting their money?

This is one of those things that would be a neat feat of worldbuilding if they would actually go in-depth on how it works.

They all own Meowths.

Simple. They do other jobs such as our trainer in XY working at Hotel Richissme. And the kid trainers receive pocket money from their parents.

Battling just isn't profitable enough to do it as a full time career. That's possibly why Gym Leaders also have other jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom