• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. However, the point still stands: other people have mentioned things like that in their leaks, which makes me suspicious. Knowing now that it was part of the Plus/Minus makes it even more doubtful.

EDIT:

Not exactly, this was playing too safe.
So we don't know.

To be honest other than I like the idea of it being In Italy and when you think about Rome the Colosseum concept makes sense, but the rest of it is pretty lame to me. Like a platypus? I would rather not. A calf is ok, and I would love a jag, but I would find it surprising if they did back to back cats.

Also I agree with whoever said it seems like they took a bunch here. The jag was discussed, and Minotaurs which would probably be a calf stand out the most to me. Plus I do remember specifically saying an ancient take on coliseums might be fun.

/vp/ - Some Gen 8 info - Pokémon - 4chan I founda this
Good find for discussion's sake.

Romo is a very uninspired name for an Italy-based region. Unova's names referenced unity, Kalos meant "beauty," Alola came from the greeting Aloha and ola meaning "life"- what is Romo besides being obviously derived from Rome? And of course we get colosseums instead of gyms, because it's Italy.

Gigabilities is a lame name for a mechanic and what do they mean by "more powerful versions"? Abilities aren't attacks. Many of them don't do anything that could be made more powerful. What would a more powerful version of Truant be? Early Bird? Gluttony?

Overall, a lot of safe bets here and everything else just lacks imagination.

Last edited by a moderator:

Romo is a very uninspired name for an Italy-based region. Unova's names referenced unity, Kalos meant "beauty," Alola came from the greeting Aloha and ola meaning "life"- what is Romo besides being obviously derived from Rome? And of course we get colosseums instead of gyms, because it's Italy.

Gigabilities is a lame name for a mechanic and what do they mean by "more powerful versions"? Abilities aren't attacks. Many of them don't do anything that could be made more powerful. What would a more powerful version of Truant be? Early Bird? Gluttony?

Overall, a lot of safe bets here and everything else just lacks imagination.
Hmm, maybe Truant could increase attack power on the next turn, sorta like saving it's strength next turn. And I'd like it if early bird raises all stats if it awakens from sleep. And gluttony doubles effects of berries it eats.

Well, Romo does mean:
Romantic Modernism, more commonly known as Romo, was a musical and nightclubbing movement, of glam style/pop lineage, in the UK circa 1995–1997. - Wikipedia

But I guess they just thought: "Alola is just one letter away from Aloha! So let's do the same with Rome."

Is it really that implausible for a platypus starter? XD Seems like it'll happen eventually

It seems to much fanservice, especially if you read more when it mentions Dark and Poison, since its Grass/Dark by the looks of it, which makes it to much like that fake leak we got about the Pokemon designs that gave us a Platypus Water/Poison.

It seems too much fanservice, especially if you read more when it mentions Dark and Poison, since its Grass/Dark by the looks of it, which makes it to much like that fake leak we got about the Pokemon designs that gave us a Platypus Water/Poison.
Doesn't sound fanservice-y more so an inevitability. Male platypi do have poison spurs so I can see why many had the inspiration to make them water/poison.

I'd rather see a Water/Electric platypus starter than a Water/Poison one. Platypi use electrolocation in hunting. Much more potential than Water/Poison.

I kinda like the idea of Colosseums? Fighting through a tournament and getting to the end to fight the master Colosseum master and getting... whatever it is you get for defeating them, sounds fairly interesting.

I kinda like the idea of Colosseums? Fighting through a tournament and getting to the end to fight the master Colosseum master and getting... whatever it is you get for defeating them, sounds fairly interesting.
Maybe you'll receive a laurel wreath. It is a badge of honor and victory kinda like a Gym Badge.

I'd rather see a Water/Electric platypus starter than a Water/Poison one. Platypi use electrolocation in hunting. Much more potential than Water/Poison.
Given that Gamefreak does their research this is very well a possibility if a platypus pokemon arrises (which will never happen. Why? Because they had planned an australia based region that had platypi and kangaroos. But since it's australia, the game was too hard for anyone and had a perma death system. In real life. It was impossible to fix so they had to kill it. Moral of the story? Don't make games featuring australia.)

Doesn't sound fanservice-y more so an inevitability. Male platypi do have poison spurs so I can see why many had the inspiration to make them water/poison.
At this point, I think a platypus starter seems like fan pandering because of the fake platypus starter that we were teased with earlier- it's kind of a hot topic on the fan wish lists now, so the fake leaks are on the platypus bandwagon because they know everyone wants it. The more people want something, the more they want to believe a leak even if most of it is obvious safe bets and poorly thought out ideas.

Anyone got another aquatic creature they would rather see a starter of? If we all pick one and make it popular, all the leaks will promise them for Gen 8 and they work at Nintendo so you know they're legit. ;P

Last edited:
I feel like a coliseum is just basically the final four. You fight all of them in a row, and then the current champion. You would need a better gimick I think.

How about an electric/poison Platypus? Obviously not a starter, but to me it makes sense. Their specialty would be using poison barbs of course.

New legendaries. One resembles a bird of paradise and the other a gorilla.

... what?

They are Flying/Fairy and Rock/Ground

That makes as much sense as having a gorilla be a pseudo-deity in Pokemonified Italy of all places.

Starters are a jaguar cub, a calf, and a platypus

The jaguar starter doesn't sound likely either, but I could see them doing something like it.

Evil team is Team Reverse. Team wants to bring back the tradition of giving up your Pokemon to the winner if you lose.

Team name doesn't seem terribly related to their apparent goals which are also absurd considering if the grunts were following their own philosophy the organization would absolutely decimate themselves through battling with the player.

Not even going to bother with my two cents on the rest of this leak.

It does sound interesting, even though they got that from Orre and BR. I can see it working, but I doubt we will get it.

EDIT:
Team name doesn't seem terribly related to their apparent goals which are also absurd considering if the grunts were following their own philosophy the organization would absolutely decimate themselves through battling with the player.
You know it's bad when that Gen II Kanto Rocket Grunt sounds more competent than an entire organization.

At this point, I think a platypus starter seems like fan pandering because of the fake platypus starter that we were teased with earlier- it's kind of a hot topic on the fan wish lists now, so the fake leaks are on the platypus bandwagon because they know everyone wants it. The more people want something, the more they want to believe a leak even if most of it is obvious safe bets and poorly thought out ideas.

Anyone got another aquatic creature they would rather see a starter of? If we all pick one and make it popular, all the leaks will promise them for Gen 8 and they work at Nintendo so you know they're legit. ;P
I mean, we always wanted a tiger, koala, and wolf pokemon. And all 3 wishes were granted in one game. Also keep in mind water starters have to be based off aquatic creatures that can survive on land as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom