• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Myth Oh yes, definitely. I would absolutely love that. I think we will eventually get to that at one point, I just don't expect to see it in the upcoming 2019 games but you never know. Game Freak might surprise us.

And it's true, Kanto does seem a bit congested so that adds to the overworld Pokemon issue I personally have. I would imagine the 2019 games will have a larger scale and more space to accommodate the overworld Pokemon. Another thing that comes to mind is that pre-Gen VI Pokemon (or pre-Gen VII) were not specifically designed with 3D models in mind. I personally think a lot of pre-Gen VI Pokemon look better as sprites/in 2D. Going forward, Game Freak knows Pokemon will be in 3D so that's something to keep in mind when designing them. For example, they might be more mindful of how a specific Pokemon will look, move or walk instead picking whatever design looks good on paper. Well, it could also be my imagination haha, but that's what I think.

I feel that more common Pokemon should in the first areas and the deeper you explore the more rare Pokemon you encounter.

Take for example Pokemon Tower. On the first floor you only encounter Gastlies. But in the top floor you might encounter a Gengar, but it would really rare.

I know it works like this in some areas in some games. But it would be great to see it in more areas and routes. It'll make it feel more like nature where you have to really search hard to find the rarer species of animals and insects.

The chain system and capturing Pokémon for fodder reasons needs to die.
Pokémon have been established as companions, not fodder to transfer to the professor for boosts and only keeping the most powerful one.

That is what I feel is Pokémon Go’s biggest shortcoming and that mindset shouldn’t influence the series further imo.

Another thing that comes to mind is that pre-Gen VI Pokemon (or pre-Gen VII) were not specifically designed with 3D models in mind. I personally think a lot of pre-Gen VI Pokemon look better as sprites/in 2D. Going forward, Game Freak knows Pokemon will be in 3D so that's something to keep in mind when designing them. For example, they might be more mindful of how a specific Pokemon will look, move or walk instead picking whatever design looks good on paper. Well, it could also be my imagination haha, but that's what I think.

Oh, it's not your imagination!

You may have noticed that they have also added more "movement" to the designs, for example: Chespin's spines when its attacking , Mega Sharpedo's retractable fangs, Lunala and Solgaleo's forms when they are attacking (full moon and radiant sun), the Toucannoun's beak glowing, Rowlet turning its head back often, Litten's fur, Mimikyu's disguise, Togedemaru's retractile spines, Alola Muk's skin colors patterns, Blacephalon's explosive head, and so on ...

Some older Pokémon also have these kind of things, like Entei and its retractable claws, and Marill and its tail that glare when its attacking, but really, it wasn't that common then. They are certainly having a different metholody on the concepts because of the 3D.

Last edited:
The chain system and capturing Pokémon for fodder reasons needs to die.
Pokémon have been established as companions, not fodder to transfer to the professor for boosts and only keeping the most powerful one.

That is what I feel is Pokémon Go’s biggest shortcoming and that mindset shouldn’t influence the series further imo.

That is so sick is you think about it. That is the reason why that i didn't like GO for the first place. Pokemon is all about friendship but this thing kills it. They should remove that feature. And i really miss wild battles already. Pokemon i use in my teams have always special bond with me. And one of the many reasons is battling with them. But since there is no wild battle i see my pokemon less than ever. I see them just fighting with NPCs and that is all.
I can't even see them while i am training THEM. I suppose train them but they are sitting in their pokeballs. You can't even explain that with Exp.Share. Cuz Exp.Share shares the experience of the fighting pokemon, oh but in that case none is fighting. I hope they bring back fighting with wild pokemon for training and remove just catching for Exp.

Even tho Let's Go bring some good features (like over-world pokemon encounters, pokemon following you, ride-able pokemon, can change name whenever you want etc.) unfortunately it took out a lot from the franchise. I hope gen8 and later gens have abilities, hatching, held items and don't remove natures. Because all of these features make pokemon unique. When you online battle and your opponent has the same pokemon as you, you know that these two pokemon actually not the same. They may have different abilities, different move-sets, different natures, held items, gender( it can be important for like attract or rivalry ). And i think that is why Pokemon is known and great game. Your pokemon belongs just to you, it is special to you. But when you remove those things, i think you lose the identity of the game. Bring these back for later generations GF. Please

This is the wrong thread to talk about the Diamond and Pearl remakes. Here's the thread for it.
Au contraire, mon ami (look, I don't speak French. Sue me.)

This thread is for discussing Gen 8. DP remakes are not part of their own gen. They are always part of another gen. As such, I shall consider DP remakes as Gen 8 until proven otherwise.

Thank you and goodnight (well, actually, good morning where I am).

I feel like they shouldn't change too much about how you catch Pokemon, I find the candy system extremely atrocious to begin with, as it heavily goes against the idea that Pokemon are supposed to grow with you and develop a bond. At least with other cases where you had to give up one Pokemon to power another Pokemon up was not only was in control of the player to get the other Pokemon back, but it made sense in the context. For the Kyurem fusions for example, you could say that the dragons are looking to become one again, but only with the right hero, which is why Reshiram/Zekrom didn't want to fuse with Kyurem while he was under Ghetsis's control. Another example is how Nebby wanted to help Necrozma heal from its pain, but Necrozma was too aggressive at the very first encounter, which is why the Solgaleo/Lunala didn't want to fuse in the first place.

Au contraire, mon ami (look, I don't speak French. Sue me.)

This thread is for discussing Gen 8. DP remakes are not part of their own gen. They are always part of another gen. As such, I shall consider DP remakes as Gen 8 until proven otherwise.

Thank you and goodnight (well, actually, good morning where I am).

For some reason I read your posts listening to Ryan Reynolds' voice. Is that normal?

Even tho Let's Go bring some good features (like over-world pokemon encounters, pokemon following you, ride-able pokemon, can change name whenever you want etc.) unfortunately it took out a lot from the franchise. I hope gen8 and later gens have abilities, hatching, held items and don't remove natures. Because all of these features make pokemon unique. When you online battle and your opponent has the same pokemon as you, you know that these two pokemon actually not the same. They may have different abilities, different move-sets, different natures, held items, gender( it can be important for like attract or rivalry ). And i think that is why Pokemon is known and great game. Your pokemon belongs just to you, it is special to you. But when you remove those things, i think you lose the identity of the game. Bring these back for later generations GF. Please

Don't worry about that. They have already said many times that the next games will be traditional, and that it will has nothing to do with Let's Go.

Last edited:
Can we really keep the overworld Pokémon, please? Like I said before, maybe it's because I have played lots of RPGs with random encounters (and most of them don't have Repel-like items), but I always found it really annoying. Doesn't help that the surprise factor dies quickly when you find things like Zubat each five steps in places like caves. It's also frustrating to the people that are looking for specific Pokémon in some routes *cough*Eevee in Paniola Ranch*cough*. I guess I can be glad that the "two consecutive encounters" mechanic that was in the Spaceworld demo was cut.

The random encounters do make Nuzlockes way more challenging. But I, too, am hoping to see the overworld Pokemon stay. It makes it much easier to find what Pokemon you're looking for.

Also, why not give us the option of choosing whether or not we want to battle wild Pokemon. Just a simple "Do you want to fight?" at the start of an encounter would suffice.

Forget rare encounters. Those are their own problem entirely. I once spent approximately an hour and half looking for a Magnemite in the school yard of USUM. That is not a joke; that is actually how long it took (although about a half an hour was probably spent looking at guides on the internet to see if I was doing something wrong). I used to be a proponent of random encounters until that happened. I'm not thrilled about how Let's Go handles over world encounters, but as others have pointed out, in a larger game that has a more natural landscape, it would probably work better. There's also a lot of ways they could improve it like having you perform certain actions to attract different pokemon. For example; spreading honey on trees in the Sinnoh games. Just make it take less time for the effect to take place.

Forget rare encounters. Those are their own problem entirely. I once spent approximately an hour and half looking for a Magnemite in the school yard of USUM. That is not a joke; that is actually how long it took (although about a half an hour was probably spent looking at guides on the internet to see if I was doing something wrong). I used to be a proponent of random encounters until that happened. I'm not thrilled about how Let's Go handles over world encounters, but as others have pointed out, in a larger game that has a more natural landscape, it would probably work better. There's also a lot of ways they could improve it like having you perform certain actions to attract different pokemon. For example; spreading honey on trees in the Sinnoh games. Just make it take less time for the effect to take place.
I remember when I was searching for a Larvesta for my team on Akala and I spent far over an hour till I found, cause of course they'd make it a 1% encounter. Why do they love torture so much?!

I have already given my opinion on the withdrawal of random encounters (I am in favor of withdrawing them if they implement something better than the let's go system), but something that I am totally against is removing "rare encounters".

Even with the Let's Go system, it's still possible to have rare Pokémon encounters, and I think that's an essential part of the gameplay, and it's part of what make the game fun to me.

Last edited:
I'll also add my random encounters horror story. I spend four hours looking for just one Eevee in Paniola Ranch. Seriously, it was daytime in real life outside and when I gave up it was already night. I had to use the GTS to get my Eevees.

By the way, I'm not in favor of removing rare encounters (that would be silly), what I'm against is going through hundreds of random battles to find them. The solution is simple: keep the rare spawns, just take the torture out of it. Specially if they re-add Wobbuffet or Wynaut to the wild encounters.

I think rare encounters need to be different than simply a low percent chance to appear, though. They should be more like Bagon and Gible where they are in a place that is hard to find or get to. To me, it feels more rewarding and not like I simply got lucky.
Almost like how Mewtwo is only accessible in XY once you become Champion.

Some requirements could include needing the right field moves to access the area, but which you only acquire late in the game. Or needing a certain level to enter the area due to the Pokemon being too high levelled when you first discover the area. Or maybe you need a specific possibly rare item to access the area.

I remembered something: If we get Gyms again (or something similar), I would like if they had a different remix of the gym theme (or its replacement). It was one of the things I liked about B2W2 and I was sad that they removed it in Gen VI.

Since everyone is sharing their story on rare encounter, I'll just share mine, this one isn't even rare, it's just too bothersome to look for since luck factors another thing. What I'm talking about is Guzzlord, like it seriously took me days just to be able to catch that Ultra Beast, and for what?! A Pokemon I'm not going to use since the space for a Dragon-type Pokemon in my party was reserved for Ultra Necrozma?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom