• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I like the rival dynamic of Cheren and Bianca. Cheren is the more serious and seem to want to be the strongest where as Bianca is more playful while being behind on the journey. If we do get two rivals again, I want them to have different personalities, just to make the story more dynamic.

I think I would prefer one or two interesting rivals than 5 underdeveloped ones. Also, don't make another Hugh. I have been playing B2W2 recently and I forgot how annoying the "Waaah, my sister's Purrloin" thing was. Doesn't help that he lashed out at the nice couple at Floccesy Ranch with no provocation. Hau is not as annoying as people say in my opinion, even after playing both Gen VII games back to back, but that's my opinion.
I just watched an episode of fullmetal alchemist brotherhood and my first thought when I read this was "What did Lieutenant Colonel Maes Hughes, one of the most awesome character in all of FMA, do to you."

@jonathan keller : check page 980, there's been some new starter artwork

I understand why people think the water lizard looks like Treecko, but I personally think they are about as similar as Emboar is to Rhyperior. If these starters are real I'm buying all the merchandise I can for this game because that lizard is everything I could possibly ever ask for in a water starter. I also don't understand why the goat is being picked on. He would easily be my second choice.

Last thing I remember was that people disliked it BECAUSE it looked clownish. And people hated Froakie and Oshawott, and also Mudkip at first

Yes, this is what I remembered about Popplio too. People didn't like his nose because it was too clownish or something.

I still remember the so-called "final evolution" that leaked of Popplio lol. Didn't people also believe the final evolutions for the Unova starters were also fake too?

I still remember the so-called "final evolution" that leaked of Popplio lol. Didn't people also believe the final evolutions for the Unova starters were also fake too?
Well, if I recall correctly, that was because the "artist" "confessed" saying that Emboar was based on Rhyperior. However, I can't remember what he said about the rest.

Now that I think about it, did someone "confess" making the Alolan starters' final evolutions?
I'm not too sure if anyone confessed to them. All I do remember was many people saying they were fake to no end here and there. Ultimately when they were confirmed real by mistake I believe in an event, people still were convinced they were fake I believe. So after that mess, IDK what to trust anymore lol

I personally think they may be fake if only because they seem too clean? IDK it sounds like a stupid reason to determine if something is real or fake, but unlike the Alolan final evo pic and other leaks, they seem to have less scratch work, as well as codes along with the Japanese characters. Speaking of Japanese characters, did anyone ever confirmed if the Japanese on the page was correct or off? That COULD help decipher if they are indeed fake.

It was through the Sun/Moon demo that the final evolutions were leaked. After that, it was just people in denial since the dataminer was Kaphotics IIRC, and so far, he is trustworthy. I think Kazowar also had something to do with it (also trustworthy). Although the only thing they got from them were the Pokédex pictures since everything else was erased. You tried, Game Freak, you tried.

And yeah, if someone around here could check if the Japanese is correct could help debunk this leak. I think most of the leaks that include Japanese characters have been proven fake thanks to that. For example, and if my memory is not rusted, a fake fifth forme for Deoxys that appeared around the release of Gen IV was proven fake because the article that was in the picture was talking about something not-Pokémon related.

(I am self taught and still learning, so take what I say as you will) I skimmed through the text and there doesn't seem to be anything that is glaringly wrong with anything written. The text is actual Japanese characters and not gibberish. It also takes into account some basic grammar. If you give me a few minutes, I could probably type everything up with a translation. I question whether some things need to be written or described in concept art, but that would be a question for an artist which I am not.

The translations for anyone curious.

Water Lizard:

有毒な唾 Yudoku-na tsuba : Poisonous Spit

体を覆うスライム Karada o Oou Slime: Slime Covers the body

尾が成長する O-ga seichō suru: The tail regrows

尾が体から落ちる O-ga karada kara ochiru: The Tail falls off the body (alt: It loses the tail?)

Fire Goat:

首から火が来る Kubi kara hi ga kuru : Fire comes from the neck; note: questionable use of kuru?

熱い耳 atsui mimi : Hot Ear(s)

非常に高いジャンプ hijō ni taka-i JUMP : It jumps very high

Grass Bunny:

それは花を愛する Sore wa hana o aisuru : It loves this flower

花芽胞 hana gahō : Flower Spore

ノイズに敏感な : NOISE ni binkan'na : It is sensitive to noise

Edit: I've given it some thought and the use of aisuru(love) instead of dai-suki(like alot) is questionable

Last edited:

Yes, some people also said that the final evolution of the Alola starters were fakes (like Joe), but honestly, you could tell they were real by the time, by the style of the art that closely resembled that one of the seventh generation, by not having absolutely any error of inconsistency in the art, and also by the inspirations of the evolutions, that made sense (Rowlet> Archer, Popplio> Mermaid). I mean, they weren't just bigger versions of the starters.

I remember when they were leaked, many people thought they were real, for all the reasons I mentioned.

It was through the Sun/Moon demo that the final evolutions were leaked. After that, it was just people in denial since the dataminer was Kaphotics IIRC, and so far, he is trustworthy. I think Kazowar also had something to do with it (also trustworthy). Although the only thing they got from them were the Pokédex pictures since everything else was erased. You tried, Game Freak, you tried.

They were leaked through an image like the Unova ones, actually. And then confirmed by the demo's datamine months later.

@Velvet
About the rivals, I liked them all. But my favorites were Blue, Silver, Cheren, Bianca, Hugh, Serena/Calem and Gladion. They seemed to be the most well developed about theirs motivations to me. And maybe, Wally too. I would like to see more rivals like those.

Also, a watch dex would be really cool and innovative.

Last edited:
Well, if I recall correctly, that was because the "artist" "confessed" saying that Emboar was based on Rhyperior. However, I can't remember what he said about the rest.
I believe they mentioned that Samurott Is a Palkia edit and Serperior was Milotic.
Now that I think about it, did someone "confess" making the Alolan starters' final evolutions?
I believe a few people “claimed” it was theirs, but these where just anonymous trolls. There was one deviant artist who copied the art making it look like they where the ones who drew it, and some people used this as “evidence” against the starters.

I believe they mentioned that Samurott Is a Palkia edit and Serperior was Milotic.

I believe a few people “claimed” it was theirs, but these where just anonymous trolls. There was one deviant artist who copied the art making it look like they where the ones who drew it, and some people used this as “evidence” against the starters.
Wait, Palkia??? I can see the Serperior/Milotic connection, but I don't see Palkia and Samurott being related in any way.

So, the Alola starters also got "claimed" by an artist. At this point I feel like I'm going to start laughing like an idiot if one of the debunked starters ends up being real.

The first time I saw the Alola starters final forms, I knew they were real. I even still have the concept art saved on my phone from when it leaked on June 6th 2016.

These "Pokemon", however, actually don't look real AT ALL to me, which is a first because all of the previous ones that have leaked (you all know which ones) have actually looked like they could be Pokemon. These three just feel lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom