• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a teaser of the 20th movie on December 14, 2016.

And a teaser of the 21st movie on December 10, 2017.

Speculating based on that, we can imagine that we will have a new teaser being released around next week (December 9~December 15).

We'll also have CoroCoro, so it's possible they might want to reveal the teaser before its release.

Pokeshopper was also commenting on twitter about something related to the next movie a while ago....

What I most want to know is if Meltan/Melmetal will make their debut on the movie or not. Because that could give us hints about the eighth generation.

Well, if Meltan/Melmetal is in there, then they have no reason to hide it and they would show it immediately. They did so for Genesect before. If it isn't in this movie, then I question how they are going to feature it. I mean, of course they could still feature it in the main anime, but that's only happened to Phione before. (only being in the main anime and not also being in a movie)

Yes, but if Meltan/Melmetal not be in the movie, it would be more likely to have a next generation Pokémon revealed for it later (around March and May, speculating on recently movie patterns).

If Meltan/Melmetal be in the movie, the hypothesis of Mewtwo gaining a new form becomes more likely, I think. Because we would have a similar Genesect movie's scenario.

They can stop the pattern and make a movie "focused" on three Pokémon (Mewtwo + Meltan/Melmetal + one 8th gen Pokémon), but that has never happened "before" (considering the "modern" movies-release-format, post-gen 4).

Just to make it clear: when I say "focused", I mean from a marketing point of view. And I'm referring to generation-switching movies (Zoroark movie: focused on Celebi and Zorua/Zoroark, Genesect movie: focused on Genesect and Mega Mewtwo Y, Volcanion Movie: focused on Volcanion and Magearna).

Last edited:
Well, if Meltan/Melmetal is in there, then they have no reason to hide it and they would show it immediately. They did so for Genesect before. If it isn't in this movie, then I question how they are going to feature it. I mean, of course they could still feature it in the main anime, but that's only happened to Phione before. (only being in the main anime and not also being in a movie)
Meloetta didn't get a movie either.

I mean, of course they could still feature it in the main anime, but that's only happened to Phione before. (only being in the main anime and not also being in a movie)
Same with the Lake Trio. Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf were never in a movie either.

Same with the Lake Trio. Uxie, Mesprit and Azelf were never in a movie either.
Come to think of it, there are a lot of legendary Pokemon that have never been in a movie.

Now if we are talking MYTHICAL Pokemon, it would be odd for Meltan and Melmetal to not be featured in a movie, just as it was weird that Meloetta was not. I mean, she had an entire arc in the anime and had a short with the Genesect movie but still.

My question about Meltan and Melmetal was whether they will make their debut on the next movie or not. Otherwise, it really doesn't matter to us how they will feature them. I think.

What are the chances of Mewtwo promotion being made for Shadow Mewtwo? There is heavy demand for making it cannon and The Pokemon Company even left that possibility open
Asked whether The Pokémon Company considers Shadow Mewtwo to be canon, a company representative responded with "No comment."
Is Shadow Mewtwo canon? The Pokémon Company won't say

Speculation at the time was that it could've led to a Shadow Pokemon game and taking the snagging elements and slightly dark story from Colosseum/XD would be pretty cool for the Gen 8 games.

Those games were the closest to a full console RPG and adding obvious things like new Pokemon, routes, dungeons and gym leaders would make for a great experience. Hell, Cipher and Team Rocket's motives are very similar. Maybe the Giovanni from US/UM returns and corrupts his Mewtwo and other Pokemon that would have to be rescued and restored. It would make for a cool story.

What are the chances of Mewtwo promotion being made for Shadow Mewtwo? There is heavy demand for making it cannon and The Pokemon Company even left that possibility open

The moment I can have a Charizard with the birthmarks of the Charizardtwo from the movie in-game, y'all can have Shadow Mewtwo.

Is Shadow Mewtwo canon? The Pokémon Company won't say

Speculation at the time was that it could've led to a Shadow Pokemon game and taking the snagging elements and slightly dark story from Colosseum/XD would be pretty cool for the Gen 8 games.

Those games were the closest to a full console RPG and adding obvious things like new Pokemon, routes, dungeons and gym leaders would make for a great experience. Hell, Cipher and Team Rocket's motives are very similar. Maybe the Giovanni from US/UM returns and corrupts his Mewtwo and other Pokemon that would have to be rescued and restored. It would make for a cool story.
It'd be cool, but Shadow Mewtwo's backstory is totally separate from the Shadow Pokemon of Orre games, so it'd be a bit weird to make it canon while also retconning its entire backstory.

I think it would be a bad idea to make Shadow a concrete thing. Note, however, I am against the addition of any new types as a whole. For this, though, I just think it's a bad idea.

I would rather Meltan and his evolution be apart in a short film or part of the anime instead of the movie. What I am more intrigued by is the evolution part in Mewtwo strikes back Evolution. We know it is a retelling of the first Pokemon film with what the teaser has shown us but what does the Evolution part mean? Is it related to the 8th Generation games? is Evolution going to be a big part of the 8th generation games as other even number generations have had evolution as part of its theme? I don't think it is mega evolution as other people have speculated since there is no reason to promote Mega Evolution again so it has to be either a new form for Mewtwo or a new gimmick or a new Pokemon with evolution as its theme. What do you guys think?

It might be a new mew form since he was involved in the first movie with mewtwo

I think it's pretty likely mewtwo will be showcasing a new gimmick in the next movie or will at least be related to one. A new form may be pushing it but at the same time, I don't think gamefreak/TPC is necessarily concerned with giving him too much or anything considering they were willing to give him + Charizard two mega's.

I think it'd be really cool if he appeared in his X mega form and basically showed off some new aspect of mega evolution or something. Mega's being tweaked and having a presence in gen 8 again would be something I'd like a lot. Gamefreak said that they reason they opted for Z moves instead of mega's in gen 7 was because every pokemon could use a z move, but It'd be really cool if they just decided to give mega evolutions to a bunch of different pokemon in the upcoming gen.

a mix of new megas and regional variants would be sick

Last edited:
They could use Mega Mewtwo X + new Pokémon. It wouldn't be the first time they do something like that, since Zoroark debuted at the same time as Raikou.

P.S.: Was any Raikou movie planned but cancelled for Gen II? Because I always found Raikou's absence suspicious.

Oh. I thought it was just Mewtwo Strikes Back. Evolution in this context could be anything.

They could use Mega Mewtwo X + new Pokémon. It wouldn't be the first time they do something like that, since Zoroark debuted at the same time as Raikou.

P.S.: Was any Raikou movie planned but cancelled for Gen II? Because I always found Raikou's absence suspicious.

Yes, they can.

Raikou wasn't much important in the Zoroark movie. Even from a marketing point of view, as I said, the focus were in Celebi (because of HGSS) and Zorua/Zoroark (to promote BW). In the same way, we had Volcanion (ORAS) and Magearna (SM). And Genesect (B2W2) and Mega Mewtwo Y (XY).

So if they are to follow that pattern again (of course, it may not happen that way again, at all), we would have 2 scenarios:

Meltan/Melmetal (LGPLGE) and Mewtwo's new form (8th gen) or Mewtwo (maybe Mega Mewtwo X) and an 8th gen Pokémon.

Oh, and about Raikou absence, it had already made its debut prior to the Zoroark's movie, it was on a special (so, Sucuine gained the game, Entei the movie, Raikou the anime special).

But of course, we are just speculating and following patterns. They can put the 3 in the movie (Meltan/Melmetal, Mewtwo and an 8th Gen Pokémon), and no one would stop them from doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom