• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm personally not really interested in a sri lanka/SEA region, but that's only 'cause my personal hopes are that the next new region is either Italy, or back to Japan.

Honestly though gamefreak could make anywhere an interesting setting for the games, so if the region does end up being based on Sri Lanka, I wouldn't be upset. It does sound like it could make an interesting region. I just hope they aren't as in your face with it as they were with Kalos and Alola. I like being able to play through the region and "feel" it, if that makes sense. Gens 6-7 made it insanely obvious which IRL places they were based on, and constantly reminded you of it, which was kinda lame imo.

Main reason I don't believe the Piuk rumors/leaks is because Tom Phillips said "nah" when he was asked if he thought they were real or not iirc. He was wrong about Stars but I wouldn't be surprised if he knows something given his overall credibility

Last edited:
Kanto's been shoved down our throats for the last 2 gens. I think that GF should tone down the Kanto references in the next games so the new stuff can actually have a chance to shine.
That's not what I mean, everytime we bring up Kanto you say the same thing to the point it's funny, I don't think expressing your distaste for more Kanto over and over again is going to change things.

I'm personally not really interested in a sri lanka/SEA region, but that's only 'cause my personal hopes are that the next new region is either Italy, or back to Japan.

Honestly though gamefreak could make anywhere an interesting setting for the games, so if the region does end up being based on Sri Lanka, I wouldn't be bothered. I just hope they aren't as in your face with it as they were with Kalos and Alola. I like being able to play through the region and "feel" it, if that makes sense. Gens 6-7 made it insanely obvious which IRL places they were based on, and constantly reminded you of it, which was kinda lame imo.

Main reason I don't believe the Piuk rumors/leaks is because Tom Phillips said "nah" when he was asked if he thought they were real or not iirc. He was wrong about Stars but I wouldn't be surprised if he knows something given his overall credibility
I'm not interested either, mostly because Sri Lanka is an obscure place with no significance and it's another tropical island region after we've had three consecutive games set in such an environment.

I'm a bit confused about the legends description.
- Need rare pokemon eggs as a tribute. This would be the first main legend that requires other pokemon as a tribute, right? Don't know, not exactly convinced.
- Collects light to ensure nutrients for abyss creatures. How exactly is this supposed to work? It collects light and makes food from it? XD

If it wants rare Pokemon eggs from me, I don't think I'll be able to do that without saving after collecting them and then hatching them to ensure they aren't shiny first, then resetting :LOL:

Also, perhaps it goes to the surface, absorbs light, and then dives into an abyss and releases the light for the life down there to grow with? Its an interesting idea, although a lot of what makes abyssal life interesting is the fact that it evolved to survive without any light.

Guys, I don't hate Sri Lanka. I just think it's not a good place to base a region on. It's much better suited as a side area rather than an entire region.

There's another thing that makes me suspicious. The article I found about the city used by the leaker clearly says that China wants to build a huge city in Sri Lanka that will become the new central business district and will create 80000 new jobs for the people there (cause it will basically attract people from all the island).
Now, if this "Evil team is building a huge town so to attract people from the villages and empty the island" is true, don't you think it would be a clear and direct criticism of China's project by GF?

Not convinced at all.

There's another thing that makes me suspicious. The article I found about the city used by the leaker clearly says that China wants to build a huge city in Sri Lanka that will become the new central business district and will create 80000 new jobs for the people there (cause it will basically attract people from all the island).
Now, if this "Evil team is building a huge town so to attract people from the villages and empty the island" is true, don't you think it would be a clear and direct criticism of China's project by GF?

Not convinced at all.
Yeah. It would cause significant backdraft in China for portraying this economic plan in a negative light.

Guys, I don't hate Sri Lanka. I just think it's not a good place to base a region on. It's much better suited as a side area rather than an entire region.

I don't think a place necessarily has to be widely known in order to make a good region- the first four Pokemon games are based on specific areas of Japan, and while of course Pokemon is a Japanese game series and the local audience will have a familiarity with those places, I sure didn't have to know anything about them to have a fun time exploring the regions they based off of them.

I will agree though that the apparent adaptation of recent events involving China and Sri Lanka makes it seem less likely.

Last edited:
I live in the United States and I feel like every other country would be a better place for a region than the US. There have been 2 US based regions in the main pokemon games, and only one of them was from a place with any interesting culture. There's no way Sri Lanka can make for a bad region when we had a region based on New York Freaking City.

It wasn't. Also, I don't think that Sri Lanka would make a good Pokemon region because there's nothing remarkable there and it would be another tropical island region after we had Hoenn remakes and two Alola games all in a row.
Dude dont go back to that topic. That topic caused us a whole thread when we insist time and time again that sri lanka is a very diverse place so stop.(also to admin dont flag me i just want to point this out)

Guys please, let's not lose control. Let's end this cause we need this thread if something will be revealed next month :)
Riley, please, from your side, don't talk like this of other countries. Let's try to respect everybody cause we are all from different countries here.

Guys please, let's not lose control. Let's end this cause we need this thread if something will be revealed nect month :)
Riley, please, from your side, don't talk like this of other countries. Let's try to respect everybody cause we are all from different countries here.
For the second time, I DON'T HATE SRI LANKA! Get that in your heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom