• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Official Pre-Pokémon Sword & Pokémon Shield Speculation & Leaks thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is most likely a fake.
It seems as though you're analyzing the rumor at the surface level only, ignoring credibility despite it being key to determining whether a leak is fake or not. The source of the rumor, Geno, has proven to be correct in the past. Since we're talking about Pokemon here, I found an extremely interestng piece of evidence that I think at least confirms that there is some truth to the Plus and Minus rumors.

Picture it, November 29, 2012 (Golden Girls reference). Alexander Maier publishes a list of rumors from Geno concerning the upcoming E3, along with plans from Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony. You scroll down, and find this:

"Mainline 3DS Pokemon game needs roughly two more years before it’s released. Uses a full 3D engine and will have a story dealing with a world wide crisis. A new Pokemon type will be introduced (has not been done since Gold and Silver) and while not as many new Pokemon as in past gens older pokemon will get new abilities and forms. Will maximize the Nintendo 3DS use of 3D, Streetpass and online connectivity. The first NFC game for Wii U will be a next gen battrio game coming out in all regions."

Personally, the fact that Geno was able to say that there would be less Pokemon than in older gens sold me on his credibility. Of course, other things proved to be true, but such are things that people would say could be "lucky guesses." Sure, someone may be able to guess a 3D engine, new type, and new forms, but specifically saying that there would be less Pokemon in favor of forms is a bit too specific for me to believe was made up.

Since Geno was, from what I've found, the first person to accurately report on X and Y/Generation VI, I can 100% say that at least something in the Plus and Minus rumor has to be true. It didn't pop out of nowhere on 4chan, Reddit, or some fansite.

OG + and - : Rumor: Information On Next Gen Pokemon Games "Pokemon Plus" & "Pokemon Minus"

OG Geno E3 Rumor: RUMOR: Behind the Scenes with First Party Hardware and Third Party Softwear Next Gen

It seems as though you're analyzing the rumor at the surface level only, ignoring credibility despite it being key to determining whether a leak is fake or not. The source of the rumor, Geno, has proven to be correct in the past. Since we're talking about Pokemon here, I found an extremely interestng piece of evidence that I think at least confirms that there is some truth to the Plus and Minus rumors.

Picture it, November 29, 2012 (Golden Girls reference). Alexander Maier publishes a list of rumors from Geno concerning the upcoming E3, along with plans from Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony. You scroll down, and find this:

"Mainline 3DS Pokemon game needs roughly two more years before it’s released. Uses a full 3D engine and will have a story dealing with a world wide crisis. A new Pokemon type will be introduced (has not been done since Gold and Silver) and while not as many new Pokemon as in past gens older pokemon will get new abilities and forms. Will maximize the Nintendo 3DS use of 3D, Streetpass and online connectivity. The first NFC game for Wii U will be a next gen battrio game coming out in all regions."

Personally, the fact that Geno was able to say that there would be less Pokemon than in older gens sold me on his credibility. Of course, other things proved to be true, but such are things that people would say could be "lucky guesses." Sure, someone may be able to guess a 3D engine, new type, and new forms, but specifically saying that there would be less Pokemon in favor of forms is a bit too specific for me to believe was made up.

Since Geno was, from what I've found, the first person to accurately report on X and Y/Generation VI, I can 100% say that at least something in the Plus and Minus rumor has to be true. It didn't pop out of nowhere on 4chan, Reddit, or some fansite.

OG + and - : Rumor: Information On Next Gen Pokemon Games "Pokemon Plus" & "Pokemon Minus"

OG Geno E3 Rumor: RUMOR: Behind the Scenes with First Party Hardware and Third Party Softwear Next Gen
There is a problem I have with Plus & Minus, and that is its age. The leak dates back to January of 2014. This means that the Switch game started development in 2013, and that is impossible because they had just made it onto the 3DS and many of the Switch's exclusive titles (most notably Odyssey) weren't even in development at that point.

Stop posting that rumor. It's been proven fake. Anybody that can think knows that Switch was just starting getting designed back then and most developers didn't even know about it.

36C94FB4-80B4-401B-BD8E-F703538DDC6F.jpeg
Looks like zeroara is getting revealed next week

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that means anything. If there is anything, it's clearly slotted for Q4. What they do in fall is not important.

There is a problem I have with Plus & Minus, and that is its age. The leak dates back to January of 2014. This means that the Switch game started development in 2013, and that is impossible because they had just made it onto the 3DS and many of the Switch's exclusive titles (most notably Odyssey) weren't even in development at that point.

I'm linking you to this post again.

I don't think that means anything. If there is anything, it's clearly slotted for Q4. What they do in fall is not important.
It may actually mean something. Even if the games will be announced in June with just the legends or the starters there should be some merchandise related to them. The problem is that there's really no merchandise suggesting new pokemon reveal in summer (till the end of september) at the moment.
As time goes by I'm more convinced that the next games will be a reboot/remakes of Kanto/Johto with no new pokemon.

I have a question for anyone who is hoping for the first Switch installment to have new Pokémon. Why is it that you want new Pokémon currently? Personally, I think that at 807 Pokémon, not including formes and mega evolutions, that it's not such a bad idea to make a set of games that focuses less on the idea of creating new Pokémon and more on the plotline and in-game elements/functions. Just curious about everyones opinions!

I have a question for anyone who is hoping for the first Switch installment to have new Pokémon. Why is it that you want new Pokémon currently? Personally, I think that at 807 Pokémon, not including formes and mega evolutions, that it's not such a bad idea to make a set of games that focuses less on the idea of creating new Pokémon and more on the plotline and in-game elements/functions. Just curious about everyones opinions!
New Pokémon are usually the most exciting thing about new games.

The timing may be extremely odd, but the point of my post was to prove that the rumors have credibility, and calling them fake isn't really a logical conclusion given what Geno has previously reported on. Addressing your point, there's a million possible reasons as to why the games weren't realized after Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Plubio's reasoning is definitely good, but just to give you a different perspective, the ultimate point is that the Switch came out in 2017, and a 3-year gap between games is simply not good. Even if Game Freak wanted to work on the games solely and release them ASAP, it would be an extremely bad business move. Thus, they had to develop at least one more 3DS game, thus forcing them to develop another to round off the new generation. Game Freak's plans may have changed by then (slightly to drastically), but they definitely have a generation for the Switch in mind.

The timing may be extremely odd, but the point of my post was to prove that the rumors have credibility, and calling them fake isn't really a logical conclusion given what Geno has previously reported on. Addressing your point, there's a million possible reasons as to why the games weren't realized after Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Plubio's reasoning is definitely good, but just to give you a different perspective, the ultimate point is that the Switch came out in 2017, and a 3-year gap between games is simply not good. Even if Game Freak wanted to work on the games solely and release them ASAP, it would be an extremely bad business move. Thus, they had to develop at least one more 3DS game, thus forcing them to develop another to round off the new generation. Game Freak's plans may have changed by then (slightly to drastically), but they definitely have a generation for the Switch in mind.
Yeah,I think Gen 7 was just a new gen because anniversary,and to fill out.A filler Gen.It's a bit weird how they skipped a year and the games were rushed anyway.

Do we actually have proof of new starters?? As far as I was aware, we have nothing proven yet. Again, it is just a fear, but my gut is really churning on this.. Also, we must be using Bank for the Switch version? I remember when Bank got mined they found Pomemon Go logos for where the cross goes in Gen 7 and pentagon in Gen 6.. Still have not got the update for that. They found other symbols, too, that have not been utilized yet.. Anyone remember what those were??
Sorry. I mean according to rumors but even that hasn't been proven so you're right

I mean, I am definitely in love with the idea of a fire peacock starter. But Ho-Oh. :p

Ho-Oh is a Phoenix, this will be a peacock. I think there’s enough difference between the two especially in terms of mythology and origin. Bring on the fire peacock lol

I 100% believe that the plus/minus rumors were not baseless. As it's been stated, Geno was (at least at the time) known as a reliable leaker and I doubt the rumors were just made up for the hell of it

Nintendo knew deff new the Wii U wasn't going to it hit off by 2014, and imo it's believable to think that at the time when the switch was known as the NX, planning for early titles had already begun.

I also believe that Gen 7 was intended to be a 1 off thing for the anniversary, and the switch games were potentially at least being planned out alongside them.

I do agree that the more we hear, the less a new generation is likely for the next games. Although if we had new box legends/pokemon shown in May-June, then the merch would start to pop up around fall/winter right?

I'm linking you to this post again.
I don't think that it will make any sense to start working on a Switch game when they've just started on the 3DS and most (if not all) of the Switch's exclusive titles weren't even in development. GF doesn't think that far ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom